Apple to sell third-party streaming service subscriptions through 'TV' app, report says

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited May 2018
Perhaps offering a glimpse at Apple's master plan for video, the company is reportedly planning to sell subscriptions to third-party services through its "TV" app for iPhones, iPads, and the Apple TV.

TV app on the Apple TV 4K

The option should become available in the next year, according to several Bloomberg sources. The publication didn't say whether Apple would claim a cut of subscription fees, but did suggest the move could boost the company's services revenue. Apple currently claims a cut from every subscription bought via the iOS App Store.

For the public, centralized subscriptions could make it easier to find and watch content. At the moment the TV app requires people have to have apps for every service they subscribe to, even if they've taken advantage of Apple's single sign-on feature.

In effect, the arrangement would be copying Amazon's "Channels," which lets people add networks like HBO to their Prime subscription for easier search -- and billing.

The prediction that Apple will monetize the TV app isn't a surprise, as it isn't clear where else Apple would sell video subscriptions in a central location -- plus it makes sense given Apple's ambitions in the space. Apple is currently on a $1 billion push into original video programming, expected to premiere sometime next year.

The company has a number of projects in the works, such as an adaptation of Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" novels, and a sketch comedy show starring Kristen Wiig.

Apple's own shows have been rumored as being free to anyone with the TV app, but with a cut of third-party subscriptions, the programming could pay for itself.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I still believe today this is what Apple was trying to do with Time Warner cable many years ago, their was rumors all over the place that Apple was doing a deal to distribute TW content via Apple TV. They Comcast step in and tried to buy TW and stopped the deal. 

This approach allows content owners and distributors to sell their content anywhere someone has High Speed internet and an Apple TV. Content owners will not be limited to who the cable operator is in any given locations. Apple will be the hardware/GUI platform, the cable guy provide the bandwidth and the content owners can see to anyone one who want to pay for their content.

• Reply 2 of 50
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Apples own shows are rumoured to be free to anyone with the TV app? Which is everyone who has an iPhone, iPad or Apple TV then? I’d be surprised if that was true
    bonobob
  • Reply 3 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    maestro64 said:
    I still believe today this is what Apple was trying to do with Time Warner cable many years ago, their was rumors all over the place that Apple was doing a deal to distribute TW content via Apple TV. They Comcast step in and tried to buy TW and stopped the deal. 

This approach allows content owners and distributors to sell their content anywhere someone has High Speed internet and an Apple TV. Content owners will not be limited to who the cable operator is in any given locations. Apple will be the hardware/GUI platform, the cable guy provide the bandwidth and the content owners can see to anyone one who want to pay for their content.
    It’s interesting because most video platforms like Netflix are really bad at making video apps.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    mavemufc said:
    Apples own shows are rumoured to be free to anyone with the TV app? Which is everyone who has an iPhone, iPad or Apple TV then? I’d be surprised if that was true
    I don’t have the TV app.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    ireland said:
    mavemufc said:
    I don’t have the TV app.
    I remember Apple pushing the TV app to all iOS devices so you must not have any ....
  • Reply 6 of 50
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Can someone explain to me why Apple should get a cut of someone else’s subscription revenue? I’d ask the same question of Google or Microsoft or anyone else. Apple doesn’t host the content, they don’t do marketing or promotion. And if these companies could offer their own payment system in-app they would. If the argument is they wouldn’t exist were it not for Apple’s platform then why isn’t Apple taking a cut of every Uber and Lyft transaction?
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 50
    rob53 said:
    ireland said:
    mavemufc said:
    I don’t have the TV app.
    I remember Apple pushing the TV app to all iOS devices so you must not have any ....
    The trouble is you don’t live in all countries, only the US. Most countries with iOS devices do not currently have the TV app.
    mike54
  • Reply 8 of 50
    Can someone explain to me why Apple should get a cut of someone else’s subscription revenue? I’d ask the same question of Google or Microsoft or anyone else. Apple doesn’t host the content, they don’t do marketing or promotion. And if these companies could offer their own payment system in-app they would. If the argument is they wouldn’t exist were it not for Apple’s platform then why isn’t Apple taking a cut of every Uber and Lyft transaction?
    Operating expenses.
    Rayz2016racerhomie3williamlondonSpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 50
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Yes! & roll out Siri & the TV App globally please.

Tim got it wrong, the future of TV isn’t Apps, it was always services.  The app-per-channel model has provided a fragmented, inconsistent UX that’s not what I’ve come to expect from Apple.

In fact, for those of us in the provinces, with smaller providers without large app development budgets, this would be a godsend.

• Reply 10 of 50
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    For the same reasons all resellers take a cut of the price - operating expenses and profit. Any company is free to avoid the charge by creating their own app and selling the subscription on their own website. Using your logic, why do cable companies and satellite tv companies charge? Why do local tv stations insert their own ads in shows? Why does a company pay workers? Those darn greedy workers.
    lolliverStrangeDaysjbdragonRayz2016racerhomie3williamlondonbrucemcSpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 50
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    WTF do you think this is, if it's not marketing or promotion? And how do you know they're not hosting the content?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/storefront/

Why does any reseller make money off of sales of another company's product? ¯\(°_o)/¯

lolliverStrangeDaysRayz2016racerhomie3williamlondonbrucemc
  • Reply 12 of 50
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    ireland said:
    rob53 said:
    ireland said:
    mavemufc said:
    I don’t have the TV app.
    The trouble is you don’t live in all countries, only the US. Most countries with iOS devices do not currently have the TV app.
    I don’t believe this is true. You don’t have to live in the US to have TV app. I have TV app on my iPhone even though I’m not in the US physically (& my region settings is also not the US). I’m using US App Store though. 
    (On the other hand, there is no News app on my phone)

On the topic, Apple could do with video subscription the same way they’re planning to do with News app I suppose. 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 13 of 50
    matrix077 said:
    ireland said:
    rob53 said:
    ireland said:
    mavemufc said:
    I don’t have the TV app.
    I don’t believe this is true. You don’t have to live in the US to have TV app. I have TV app on my iPhone even though I’m not in the US physically (& my region settings is also not the US). I’m using US App Store though. 

According to: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208083

United States
    Australia
    Brazil
    Canada
    France
    Germany
    Mexico
    Norway
    Sweden
    United Kingdom

And then the available channels break down into those countries. 
    jbdragon
  • Reply 14 of 50
    matrix077 said:
    ireland said:
    rob53 said:
    ireland said:
    mavemufc said:
    I don’t have the TV app.

United States
    Australia
    Brazil
    Canada
    France
    Germany
    Mexico
    Norway
    Sweden
    United Kingdom

Nope. Doesn’t live in those countries. 
    mike54
  • Reply 15 of 50
    Steve Jobs On TV: 'I Finally Cracked It'
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 50
    matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:
    ireland said:
    rob53 said:
    ireland said:
    mavemufc said:
    I don’t have the TV app.

United States
    Australia
    Brazil
    Canada
    France
    Germany
    Mexico
    Norway
    Sweden
    United Kingdom

I assume you mean you don't, but you said you're using the US App Store though which is why you have it available.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:
    ireland said:
    rob53 said:
    ireland said:
    mavemufc said:
    I don’t have the TV app.

United States
    Australia
    Brazil
    Canada
    France
    Germany
    Mexico
    Norway
    Sweden
    United Kingdom

I assume you mean you don't, but you said you're using the US App Store though which is why you have it available.
    Yep. I believe that’s the only requirement. (Not you have to be in those countries physically)
  • Reply 18 of 50
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Digital content is the key here. A business Apple itself is in. Apple could either, ban ALL digital content distribution services from their platforms, or they could allow 3rd party content providers to make their services/stores available, but charge a fee when a user signs up or makes a purchase via Apple's platform.

It's just like Amazon... they get a cut of every sale made through their website/app even if it comes from a 3rd party marketplace... Amazon doesn't pay for the shipping, handling, packaging, etc. and they don't provide warehouses to store those retail goods. They just provide access to their retail platform and charge for it.

Furthermore, any digital content distributor can avoid giving Apple their cut, but if they do so, they are not allowed to "point" to where the user can go to subscribe or make purchases. For instance, Amazon's Kindle app is just a "reader" for the content you already have access to... it provides no means to subscribe or make purchases and there's no "link" in the app that takes you directly to a web page that allows you to.

Ok, one more thing...

If anyone thinks it is unfair for Apple to get a cut, then that person can simply go to the website and subscribe or make purchases and then download and use the iOS app "free of charge".
    edited May 2018 StrangeDaysracerhomie3
  • Reply 19 of 50
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    matrix077 said:
    ireland said:
    rob53 said:
    ireland said:
    mavemufc said:
    I don’t have the TV app.
    (On the other hand, there is no News app on my phone)

If you do not live in the US, the only possible way you could be using the US App Store is if you have a US based credit/bank card registered with your iTunes/App Store account.
    jbdragonmike54fastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 50
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    mcdave said:

Tim got it wrong, the future of TV isn’t Apps, it was always services.  The app-per-channel model has provided a fragmented, inconsistent UX that’s not what I’ve come to expect from Apple.
    Have you not used the TV app? It provides a unified front for browsing content from multiple channels/apps, and the UX for watching new and next episodes couldn’t be easier. That there are separate apps becomes secondary.