'iPhone SE 2' has iPhone X-style screen and notch according to case vendor

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2018
An accessory manufacturer has produced a render for the rumored "iPhone SE 2," suggesting that Apple's refresh of the low-cost iPhone will include a notch at the top, similar to the iPhone X.

Olixar render of
Olixar render of "iPhone SE 2" with screen protector (via Mobile Fun)

Distributed by retailer Mobile Fun, the render appears to depict an iPhone 5S-style chassis combined with an iPhone X-style edge-to-edge screen. Just like the premium smartphone, the image shows the "iPhone SE 2" without a Touch ID button at the bottom, which suggests the top notch will include a camera array using Face ID to provide biometric security.

Accompanying schematics for the screen protector also pictured in the render suggest the screen area will be 121.04 millimeters tall and 55.82 millimeters wide (4.8 inches by 2.2 inches). Taking into account the slim bezel around the edge, these measurements seem to correlate with those of the existing iPhone SE.

Some rumors and "leaks" have pointed towards the "iPhone SE 2" having an iPhone X-like appearance, such as a dubious Weibo video released in March showing the supposed device. Other mockups from November last year also imagined how the successor to the iPhone SE would appear with the increased screen area and the notch.

Most of the other more credible speculative reports point to the smartphone largely retaining its current appearance with few external refinements, such as the use of a glass back for wireless charging. Instead of a major change in design, the "iPhone SE 2" is largely thought to consist of a specification update, with a possible upgrade to the A10 Fusion processor along with 2 gigabytes of RAM and 32- and 128-gigabyte storage options.

Adding an edge-to-edge display and the TrueDepth camera array would be illogical for a number of reasons, but the biggest would be that it would significantly increase the cost of the "iPhone SE 2" at retail. The extra expense could push the price up closer to the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, rather than maintaining the iPhone SE's position as the low-cost entry-level model in the iPhone product family.

The additions could also devalue the iPhone X in the eyes of consumers, as there would be little need to pay the high $999 cost if the same premium features could be acquired in a much cheaper device. Doing so would effectively steal sales from the iPhone X, in turn reducing the high average selling price recorded in the last two quarterly financial reports.

Ultimately, the Olixar render is a guess at what the "iPhone SE 2" could look like, part of the design process that accessory producers go through in order to create products that ship as early as possible after Apple's launch. With no clear and concrete evidence, nor real and viable leaks, it is still entirely possible for Olixar to be correct, but based on other reporting about the rumored device, it seems unlikely to be the case.

Olixar was the source of a June screen protector leak ahead of the iPhone X's launch, which at the time matched other rumors and leaks pointing to the introduction of a notched display. One day later, the company released renders for an iPhone X case.

Regulatory reports concerning new iPhone models serve as an indication more of the smartphones are on the way, most likely the aforementioned "iPhone SE 2." Rumors previously pointed to a March launch to coincide with the original device's release, but more recent speculation instead suggests a May launch could take place.
applesnoranges

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    cecil444cecil444 Posts: 40member
    These iPhone SE X renders are laughable. There is zero chance that the next iPhone SE will resemble the iPhone X.
    michaelahlersstanthemandoozydozenmavemufc
  • Reply 2 of 59
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    It seems that people who don’t care about small phones think this potential/rumoured SE ‘2’ is silly or unlikely, but to those who prefer smaller phones it’d be awesome. My wife hasn’t bothered to upgrade her phone because she doesn’t want a big phone—why should people like her only have the option of getting the leftovers at budget prices? She’s willing to pay for the latest and greatest phone if it’s smaller.

I’d even consider trading in my X for this SE if it ends up being real. I don’t particularly like big phones either (but the existing SE screen is too small and the screen/display technology is comparatively old, even though it’s a decent product).
    edited May 2018 airnerdcgWerksretrogustomaciekskontaktgrayfox691bonobobdoozydozenbaconstangGeorgeBMacchuck1252
  • Reply 3 of 59
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    I hope it won't be called the iPhone SE X...
    cornchipking editor the grateStevenSterkstanthemanberndogNameo_tallest skillolliverGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 59
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    georgie01 said:
    It seems that people who don’t care about small phones think this potential/rumoured SE ‘2’ is silly or unlikely, but to those who prefer smaller phones it’d be awesome. My wife hasn’t bothered to upgrade her phone because she doesn’t want a big phone—why should people like her only have the option of getting the leftovers at budget prices? She’s willing to pay for the latest and greatest phone if it’s smaller.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 59
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    cecil444 said:
    These iPhone SE X renders are laughable. There is zero chance that the next iPhone SE will resemble the iPhone X.
    BOOOOO! LET IT BE SO!!!

Instabuy.
    edited May 2018 stanthemanbaconstang[Deleted User]chuck1252
  • Reply 6 of 59
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    georgie01 said:

I’d even consider trading in my X for this SE if it ends up being real. I don’t particularly like big phones either (but the existing SE screen is too small and the screen/display technology is comparatively old, even though it’s a decent product).
    Im holding off buying a new iPhone because after getting out my 4S and playing around with it, I really think I want to go back to the smaller screen.  if the SE2 looks like the render then I'll definitely buy.  

I don't expect that to be real, though.  They aren't going to make an SE 2 that is better looking than the 8.  
    d_2retrogustostanthemandoozydozen[Deleted User]
  • Reply 7 of 59
    I'll never understand the motivation behind this ridiculous form factor. This from the company that introduced on-screen keyboards as an alternative to inflexible, molded plastic comes an unwelcome intrusion to the screen that's inflexible, molded plastic.
    kirkgray
  • Reply 8 of 59
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    I'll never understand the motivation behind this ridiculous form factor. This from the company that introduced on-screen keyboards as an alternative to inflexible, molded plastic comes an unwelcome intrusion to the screen that's inflexible, molded plastic.
    Personally, I love the SE form factor and I would love for this rumor to be true.  Per rumors, Apple is working on two lines of FaceID iPhones => one with LCD screens, another with OLED screens.  What if Apple is planning on doing the folllowing:

iPhone - 5" LCD (successor to SE), $649
    iPhone - 6,1" LCD (already known), $$749

iPhone Pro - 5,8" OLED (successor to X), $899
    iPhone Pro - 6,5" OLED (X Plus), $999

edited May 2018 cgWerksd_2stanthemanbonobobapplesnorangeslolliverdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 59
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    georgie01 said:

Yea, I too am concerned when I see the concept of 'small' (i.e.: phone sized) device linked with budget or cheap. There need be no link there. Sure, Apple kind of killed two birds with one stone with the SE (cheaper AND smaller), but that doesn't have to be the case. I think they should keep a cheaper model, similar to the SE, or maybe the iPhone 7 style. But, I'd ***LOVE*** to see an SE sized phone with all the features of the 'big boys.'

re: this particular rumor - While I already have and SE I don't plan on replacing just yet, I'd totally buy something like this. I'd rather have Touch ID, but I think I could make Face ID work in trade for the screen space on the smaller device. The only big factor for me would be the 3.5mm jack. If that's gone, that would be a problem. I do too much listening to podcasts with the device in my pocket. So, I'm hoping if they indeed stick with the current SE design, they really stick with it (i.e.: same size, same ports, same button layouts... except possibly the Home/Touch ID button).
    retrogustobaconstangGeorgeBMacairnerdfreethinkingchuck1252
  • Reply 10 of 59
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    If true.. (highly doubt it)
    that will be one killer phone... 
    will sell Tons !
    boogerman2000retrogustocanukstormcornchipstanthemanpalegolasdoozydozenbaconstang[Deleted User]airnerd
  • Reply 11 of 59
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I'm in. Large phones are so 2017.
    cgWerksboogerman2000retrogustobaconstang[Deleted User]GeorgeBMacairnerdmichaelahlerschuck1252
  • Reply 12 of 59
    Wallet open dollars flying in your direction Tim --  Vive la SE2! ( don't forget 3d touch Craig )
    retrogustocornchip[Deleted User]airnerdchuck1252
  • Reply 13 of 59
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    I'm totally open on any rumours but if the phone exists (with or without a notch), uses a new design and sees a pre-summer release, it would be a major and positive step forward for Apple.

boogerman2000cgWerksbaconstangairnerdchuck1252
  • Reply 14 of 59
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    The additions could also devalue the iPhone X in the eyes of consumers, as there would be little need to pay the high $999 cost if the same premium features could be acquired in a much cheaper device. Doing so would effectively steal sales from the iPhone X, in turn reducing the high average selling price recorded in the last two quarterly financial reports.
    I don’t think this is correct. Face ID is not the main feature of the X, it’s the means. The screen size is the feature of the X, and Face ID is the means they used to accomplish it (by removing the previously non-screen chin and forehead).

So because people don’t buy the X for Face ID, putting it on other iphones won’t steal sales.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 59
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    georgie01 said:

Exactly reason I do not upgrade and stay even with iPhone 5S. It is less likely to break screen while business iPhone 6 accidently dropped lost glass after one month. Too big screen too much exposure and to bulky tu put in pocket. I am not carrying devices in hands as I find it awkward and thi is not activity I prefer on streets. If I want to have big screen I carry iPad Mini perhaps on hotspot with my smalliPhone. That is exactly what I do when I need to sit down and surf for any reason or read anything. Phone is communication device only and many probably do not care about apps on it. It is simple: there is no size that fits all. Keep small, medium and large for people to choose from for their needs and styles.
    cgWerksbaconstang[Deleted User]chuck1252
  • Reply 16 of 59
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    iPhone SE (update) holdout here - hopeful, and ready to buy! 🙏
    [Deleted User]chuck1252
  • Reply 17 of 59
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    I’m glad to see such a positive reaction to this rumor. For me, this would be the most perfect iPhone yet, especially if it has good cameras and they don’t bother getting rid of the headphone jack. (But if I had to choose, I guess the cameras are more important.)

Ive been using my old 4s temporarily while I wait for a new battery, and I have to say, I’d gladly go back to the smaller & thicker form factor. As others have said here, the low price isn’t the only great thing about the SE, and a lot of us would gladly pay extra for an SE-sized phone with premium specs. 
    cgWerksrwesbaconstang[Deleted User]GeorgeBMacairnerdchuck1252
  • Reply 18 of 59
    gordy said:
    unfortunately they still seem to be a thing in 2018 but we are at saturation are we not?..now is the tim I mean time for Apple to release an updated fully capable smaller device  bfor competitors do so not that android is a worthy alternative but you get my point.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    StrangeDays said:I don’t think this is correct. Face ID is not the main feature of the X, it’s the means. The screen size is the feature of the X, and Face ID is the means they used to accomplish it (by removing the previously non-screen chin and forehead).

So because people don’t buy the X for Face ID, putting it on other iphones won’t steal sales.
    And, ultimately, it shouldn't really matter if it steals sales. They are all part of the same eco-system. This isn't Android vs iPhone, it's one iPhone model vs another. Also, if we think FaceID is going to eventually be on everything, it would make sense we'd start to see it appear as new models come online.

The puzzle, might be if it appears on what is seen as the 'low end' of the line before the rest of the line is updated (i.e.: iPhone 7, 8). But, maybe there will be two models, or Apple got some sense back and added this to the smaller size phone, and it won't be the low end of the line... i.e.: higher priced.

retrogusto said:
    As others have said here, the low price isn’t the only great thing about the SE, and a lot of us would gladly pay extra for an SE-sized phone with premium specs. 
    Exactly. I'm hoping Apple has woken up to this fact. If so, that might restore some of my faith in how they are making decisions these days.

gordy said:
    unfortunately they still seem to be a thing in 2018 but we are at saturation are we not?..now is the tim I mean time for Apple to release an updated fully capable smaller device  bfor competitors do so not that android is a worthy alternative but you get my point.
    Oh, big phones will be around. There is a good reason for them for a sizable portion of the market... just like there is for smaller phones.
    The mistake, was thinking because people wanted bigger, that everyone wanted bigger. It was interpreted as bigger = better, higher end, higher cost, more desirable. That was a mis-read of the trend, which hopefully will get corrected.

Bigger screen phones are for people who rely on their phone as their more primary computing device. People who have other computing devices are going to often want smaller phones. Smaller or bigger isn't better, it's tied to use-case. Both big and small-screened phone users want a range from budget to premium.
    retrogustobonobobboogerman2000baconstangchuck1252
  • Reply 20 of 59
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    Dream phone. I would drop a grand on one of these in a heartbeat — especially as my SE screen smashed yesterday 😥

Sadly, do not believe a word of this. 
    berndog