'iPhone SE 2' has iPhone X-style screen and notch according to case vendor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I predict that there will be a supplier with lots of inventory they can not move, and some idiots with bought lots of the things and try to sell on eBay.
  • Reply 22 of 59
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    I think this design could work for a less expensive phone with these features. 
    - LCD which probably means a small chin at the bottom of the screen. 
    - No wireless charging and no 3D Touch would allow for simpler internals. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 23 of 59
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Case maker? I’m sold...😂😂😂
  • Reply 24 of 59
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    The additions could also devalue the iPhone X in the eyes of consumers, as there would be little need to pay the high $999 cost if the same premium features could be acquired in a much cheaper device. Doing so would effectively steal sales from the iPhone X, in turn reducing the high average selling price recorded in the last two quarterly financial reports.
    I don’t think this is correct. Face ID is not the main feature of the X, it’s the means. The screen size is the feature of the X, and Face ID is the means they used to accomplish it (by removing the previously non-screen chin and forehead).

So because people don’t buy the X for Face ID, putting it on other iphones won’t steal sales.
    I beg to retort:

Chicken, egg, and crossing roads not withstanding; but the screen will be a variation in each model, while FaceID will be a constant. Hence, X denotes FaceID. So it is possible that Apple will add the notch to the SE, but that presupposes either a chin, bad, or FaceID, perhaps this generation rather than next.

But of course, mileages vary widely. Use as directed.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member

With no clear and concrete evidence, nor real and viable leaks, it is still entirely possible for Olixar to be correct, but based on other reporting about the rumored device, it seems unlikely to be the case.

Maybe Olixar just sees it as a best-case scenario. 
  • Reply 26 of 59
    I understand the budget conscious approach of the current iPhone SE and in the future if it ends up just being a spec bump and a possible glass back that would be fine. My real question is if there is any indication that Apple would consider a flagship phone in the rough dimensions specified in this article as part of a major iPhone roll out. There is strong evidence that a larger version of the X is coming the later this year to fill the gap in the market currently held by the 8+ but is there any indication that the creation of a smaller flagship device might possibly be in the cards. Not to replace the SE but to provide an option and or step for users of smaller phones. Apple currently provides three options for users wanting a 4.7 or 5.5 inch phone with the 6s, 7 and 8 phones. Why not additional options for the 4 inch form factor? Yeah i know the dimensions are different given the X design but you get the idea :-p
    baconstang
  • Reply 27 of 59
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I understand the budget conscious approach of the current iPhone SE and in the future if it ends up just being a spec bump and a possible glass back that would be fine. My real question is if there is any indication that Apple would consider a flagship phone in the rough dimensions specified in this article as part of a major iPhone roll out. There is strong evidence that a larger version of the X is coming the later this year to fill the gap in the market currently held by the 8+ but is there any indication that the creation of a smaller flagship device might possibly be in the cards. Not to replace the SE but to provide an option and or step for users of smaller phones. Apple currently provides three options for users wanting a 4.7 or 5.5 inch phone with the 6s, 7 and 8 phones. Why not additional options for the 4 inch form factor? Yeah i know the dimensions are different given the X design but you get the idea :-p
    For sure. I'm not tied to a 4" screen, but an overall design approximately like the SE. If they can go somewhat edge-to-edge in there, then great (I don't really want full edge-to-edge or wrap-around). And, I don't care if it's a budget model or not.

I think this could easily be an X-like successor to the SE (if accurate), but I have a hard time believing it would happen soon, unless the rest of the lineup were also revamped. I hope it could be a higher-end version of the SE form factor. That would be my dream (for phones)... but Apple tends not to implement my dreams these days.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    GrayeagleGrayeagle Posts: 59member
    For me, there are two reasons for a small iPhone with the SE form factor: 

(1) It's easy to grasp and to hold with arthritic hands, can fit in the pocket, and can be taken out  with hands and fingers that aren't the strongest.
    (2) It is my primary (home) phone, as Verizon is gradually abandoning the wired POTS arena.

As an aside to the second point: It's estimated that about half of the individual home wired connections have been dropped in favor of wireless, and with more to follow.. Wireless calls for phones that can fit into purses, shirt pockets, trousers pockets and coat pockets.  There are many of us who do not need a hand-held computer, but do need the primary capability for verbal communications, wherever we might be..

The form factor also provides the internal space for upgrading that would be reduced in a "thin"version.

Just the thoughts of a guy who MUST depend upon wireless for basic communications

cgWerksbaconstang
  • Reply 29 of 59
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    This phone, as in the article, is imaginary. It won't happen. The SE is and will remain an entry-level or low cost phone (comparatively speaking).

The idea that it could be a premium phone in ludicrous. There is little to no room to add enough of the newer features to make it a premium phone.

At this point, even if Apple could offer Face ID in the SE, they wouldn't because it would affect the appearance of the X as Apple's flagship. There are no doubt a lot of buyers who'd take an 'SE-level' screen with FID. But that won't happen anytime soon.

Removing the headphone jack won't accomplish much. Make a new battery to use that space? I don't think so. A Taptic engine. Possible, since the Watch has one. Probable, probably not. I'd like 3D Touch, but don't expect it and bet against it.

Apple is notoriously selective about what models get what features. Every single choice except maybe the X means giving up something to get something else as you climb up the food chain.

What I do expect:

same case as SE/5s
    faster processor
    better graphics
    maybe slightly better screen
    slightly better camera

What I'd like to see:

Touch ID 2
    3D Touch
    64G base storage
    4K video recording at 60fps
    Slo-mo video at 720 and 240fps
    Wide color capture and slow sync
    $349/$449
    Available SIM free on first day of sale
     (no eSIM!)

Whatever the SE is, unless Apple does something incredibly dumb, it's my next phone. I just want it now. It's May 10, and if it were going to be announced and/or sold in May, I'd think we'd here something this or next week, were an event involved.

I don't think an SE2 is enough to warrant an event. So I'm guessing it's more likely to be announced at WWDC, mainly because I'm ready to buy now. I'd be happy if sometime very soon this month, Apple quietly listed it on their site, just like they've done with other updated kit that wasn't 'the best _____ we've ever made'.

New iPhone SE.

• Reply 30 of 59
    Grayeagle said:
    For me, there are two reasons for a small iPhone with the SE form factor: 
    (1) It's easy to grasp and to hold with arthritic hands, can fit in the pocket, and can be taken out  with hands and fingers that aren't the strongest.
    There are many of us who do not need a hand-held computer, but do need the primary capability for verbal communications, wherever we might be..
    My hands aren't arthritic (yet), but my wife has an iPhone 7 and I find it uncomfortable to hold. It's OK like a little tablet, but holding it like a phone is difficult. The SE size is kind of like the 3 bears thing... just right.

Well, even the SE is a hand-held computer, but I get what you mean. The big thing is screen-size/work-space and user-context. It's certainly easier to do more complex things with a bigger screen, but you're absolutely correct that not all of us need to do those more complex things as easily. We prioritize the smaller size. But, that doesn't mean we don't want a smart-phone either.
    baconstang
  • Reply 31 of 59
    macgui said:
    The idea that it could be a premium phone in ludicrous. There is little to no room to add enough of the newer features to make it a premium phone.
    Apple is notoriously selective about what models get what features. Every single choice except maybe the X means giving up something to get something else as you climb up the food chain.
    I'm not sure I agree. I think most of the premium stuff could be added, if Apple wanted to do it. Though, I don't need some of the premium stuff, like 3D Touch (which I wonder if it really has a future anyway). Most of it doesn't have to do with space limitations, and like you say, they can even do some of in a tiny thing like the Watch.

The real question here, is whether Apple has learned something and is listening to users, or whether they will let marketing and fear (of competition between models or of looking like they made a correction) drive the product design. There is absolutely a market for a small, high-end phone, just like there is a market for a big, budget phone. Apple's previous decision to only offer small & budget, I don't think was a good product-map decision.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 32 of 59
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Oh my Kingdom for a Notch. or some other variation of hurry up and take my money.

To me this is a premium phone but not a premium smart phone. Yes to doesn't have the space for all the high end features of a modern smartphone but it would be the best device tech can deliver that is primarily a mobile phone. That device can be in pocket all day, comfortable, no worry about damage. The only premium "smartphone" feature it should have is a really good camera.

Then Apple can make a iPhone 6/7 based SE to drop down in to lowest price point and stream line the offer.
    Although if they do they should give this device a new name.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Dream phone. I would drop a grand on one of these in a heartbeat — especially as my SE screen smashed yesterday 😥

Sadly, do not believe a word of this. 
    I dropped my SE just the other day and was lucky.

I’m holding out hope that Apple will do -this-.

plus for us who are willing to spend more, great. But if for those who they’re trying to upsell from the SE with an LCD version and then into the future to a larger step up, who knows. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Reply 34 of 59
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    I don't think there will be an SEII till next year but even it one comes out this year, it will not have face ID, as that defeats the whole purpose of the SE. The only difference when it does come out is faster processor and TouchID 2
  • Reply 35 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I have a friend who’s moving across the country at the end of the month. I don’t care what the SE 2 is like, as long as it comes out before he has to leave. What are the chances of a May 18th reveal “And it’s shipping today!”?
    mattinoz
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    I can't stop thinking about how much I want this phone. I'm going to stop being pessimistic for a minute and consider why this could happen. 

1. Rumors currently indicate that the iPhone 9 will be an LCD "midsize". This indicates that Apple is going "all in" on ditching the home button. 

2. An "SE 2" will be sold through 2020; retaining the home button would make it a weird outlier. 

3. Apple never releases new products with old tech. (The original SE came out with their state-of-the-art CPU, folks who believe and SE 2 will not have an A11 are nuts.)

4. Apple was caught "by surprise" by the success of the SE. That's because buyers wanted a small iPhone, not a cheap iPhone. (people who wanted a cheap iPhone picked that years iPhone 6 and 6+ instead.)

An iPhone SE 2 that is built for now through 2020 could totally have an edge to edge screen. The best reason to doubt it is really just that no product photos have leaked. 
    edited May 2018 mattinozGrayeaglebaconstang
  • Reply 37 of 59
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member
    Finally, Apple will make a near state of art small SE2!  A lot of current owners of 5S and SE iPhones are finally getting heard instead of this "budget" iPhone nonsense.  The new budget iPhone will be the 6.1" LED model going forward!
    edited May 2018 mattinozbaconstang[Deleted User]
  • Reply 38 of 59
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    georgie01 said:
    It seems that people who don’t care about small phones think this potential/rumoured SE ‘2’ is silly or unlikely, but to those who prefer smaller phones it’d be awesome. My wife hasn’t bothered to upgrade her phone because she doesn’t want a big phone—why should people like her only have the option of getting the leftovers at budget prices? She’s willing to pay for the latest and greatest phone if it’s smaller.

I’d even consider trading in my X for this SE if it ends up being real. I don’t particularly like big phones either (but the existing SE screen is too small and the screen/display technology is comparatively old, even though it’s a decent product).

I think Apple will put FaceID on the SE as part of their trickle-down tech path - meaning when it is cheap enough to be put into the SE.

There definitely is a section of people who love the 4" form factor, but given the way Apple is releasing iPhones I suspect that the section isn't that much for Apple to include it in the premium launch phase (Sep) but it isn't so negligible that Apple abandons the form factor completely.

edited May 2018
  • Reply 39 of 59
    Eric_WVGG said:

3. Apple never releases new products with old tech. (The original SE came out with their state-of-the-art CPU, folks who believe and SE 2 will not have an A11 are nuts.)
    I am just going to argue on only one point. I belong to the camp who believe SE 2 will not have A11. I strongly believe SE 2 will have only A10. As to the assertion that Apple never releases new products with old tech - Which SoCs were used in iPad Mini 3/Mini 4? or iPad 2017 or 2018? They have not done it in iPhones YET, does not mean that they will never do.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    dream phone.