AppleInsider Podcast discusses Apple's earnings call, Apple Watch saving lives, and Apple'...

Posted:
in General Discussion
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor and Mike discuss the life-saving Apple Watch, Apple's resistance to surveillance, and the Q218 earnings call.

Image by listener Matthew Smith

AppleInsider editors Victor Marks and Mike Wuerthele discuss:

• Apple Watch saves the life of a man with a ruptured ulcer - Victor wonders how many of the people with stories like this would otherwise have died, unheard of.
  • Apple, and other companies in the Valley, form a group to respond to the FBI / DOJ's push for backdoors
  • Rumor has it that Apple is buying Conde Nast. Mike is uncertain, but Victor sees this in the broader context of combating unverified news.
  • Earnings. Mike contends that it means very little to anyone outside of Wall Street. Victor is less certain: tons of people own shares in Apple, and own shares via funds even if they don't own shares directly.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

Show note links: Follow our hosts on Twitter: @vmarks and @mike_wuerthele.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    I miss Neil
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    mavemufc said:
    I miss Neil
    He'll be around again.
    mavemufc
  • Reply 3 of 8
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    mavemufc said:
    I miss Neil
    I miss Neil, too.

• Reply 4 of 8
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I don't want Apple, or Facebook, or anyone really... marking news as good, bad, authentic, etc. People need to learn to research and think for themselves, and determine what news sources are worthy of being considered reliable, based on track record, not some 'certification' by a company or the government. Am I the only one with red-alerts going off in my head?

My gosh, I listen to a podcast that spends about 6 hours each week proving just how bad the MSM is. And, I'm well aware of information and positions that constantly get misrepresented and dismissed/banned by most of the media. I'm also aware of information that is false or shaky that gets spread around the MSM like it's gospel truth. Adding some kind of score to this stuff, just makes propagandizing the masses even worse than it already is.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I'm surprised you guys don't use the Apple Watch more. I use it every day. Now my wife is using one as well. I find that rather than one needed feature it is the basket of features that make it so attractive. I use it to unlock my MBP, as a heart monitor, as a sleep monitor, for notifications, for checking the weather, for getting alerts when driving or cycling. I ask Siri questions like simple math, getting sports scores and schedules and more. No one of these is necessary, but put them all together with strong integration with my iPhone and Mac and it is really useful for me.

• Reply 6 of 8
    I'm surprised you guys don't use the Apple Watch more. I use it every day. Now my wife is using one as well. I find that rather than one needed feature it is the basket of features that make it so attractive. I use it to unlock my MBP, as a heart monitor, as a sleep monitor, for notifications, for checking the weather, for getting alerts when driving or cycling. I ask Siri questions like simple math, getting sports scores and schedules and more. No one of these is necessary, but put them all together with strong integration with my iPhone and Mac and it is really useful for me.

I can't speak for anyone else: that's why I'm going to have to have one again.

I should mention, actigraphy, or the measuring of sleep through motion, is the least accurate way to measure sleep. Siri, heart, and notifications are the trifecta. 
    cgWerks
  • Reply 7 of 8
    cgWerks said:
    I don't want Apple, or Facebook, or anyone really... marking news as good, bad, authentic, etc. People need to learn to research and think for themselves, and determine what news sources are worthy of being considered reliable, based on track record, not some 'certification' by a company or the government. Am I the only one with red-alerts going off in my head?

My gosh, I listen to a podcast that spends about 6 hours each week proving just how bad the MSM is. And, I'm well aware of information and positions that constantly get misrepresented and dismissed/banned by most of the media. I'm also aware of information that is false or shaky that gets spread around the MSM like it's gospel truth. Adding some kind of score to this stuff, just makes propagandizing the masses even worse than it already is.
    Unfortunately, this is where we are - no one fact checks, and no one appears to be taught to verify or even be suspicious. These companies are asking themselves, what can they do to put a band-aid on the problem. Is this the right solution? What are the other solutions? The whole area is problematic, but staying out of it is a non-solution, too.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    vmarks said:
    Unfortunately, this is where we are - no one fact checks, and no one appears to be taught to verify or even be suspicious. These companies are asking themselves, what can they do to put a band-aid on the problem. Is this the right solution? What are the other solutions? The whole area is problematic, but staying out of it is a non-solution, too.
    Education, or I should say good education.
    But, I disagree about band-aid... more like Ministry of Truth (cf. Nineteen Eighty-Four), just implemented in a more under the radar manner.