Microsoft Windows team wants iMessage on Windows devices

Posted:
in iPhone
Executives say Microsoft is "very willing to work with Apple" on more cross-platform functionality going forward with Windows messaging, but any possible initiative has yet to start.

Microsoft's newly introduced Your Phone

In a new interview with The Verge, two of Microsoft's top decision-makers in regards to Windows illustrated how they wish to make their operating system more compatible with non-Windows mobile platforms, such as iOS and Android.

Joe Belfiore, the company's corporate vice president and Shilpa Ranganathan, general manager of mobile and merchandising, spoke to the site at the Build conference in Seattle. The interview followed Microsoft's introduction, this week, of the forthcoming Your Phone app, which will mirror Android and iOS interfaces on Windows PC.

"We will actually have photos on iOS and notifications as well," Ranganathan said in the interview. "Apple does make it a tad harder for messages, but we're very willing to work with Apple." However, Ranganathan admitted in the interview that Microsoft has not yet approached Apple for such a partnership.

"There's a ton we can do on Android, there's plenty we can do on Apple that we haven't done yet so let's go get to the edge and as far as we can and I think we'll be in a better place," Belfiore added.

Belfiore, during a voluntary leave of absence from the company in early 2016, was found to have tweeted from an iPhone, at a time when Windows Phone was still a going concern. Last year, Belfiore called the release of iTunes in the Windows Store a "tipping point."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    I wonder if that involves a backdoor.
    racerhomie3cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 55
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member
    Count me as another who'd like to see this happen. I'd also like to see the long-awaited arrival of FaceTime as an open standard too, but I'm not holding my breath for either, frankly. 

"We’re going to the standards bodies, starting tomorrow, and we’re going to make FaceTime an open industry standard.” Steve Jobs, 2010
    llamacornchipJWSCjbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 55
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    mike54 said:
    I would like this too.
    Me too. Would love to use iMessage from my work PC.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 55
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I assume that with iCloud messages, this might become a more feasible option since it will be all cloud based. 
    llamacornchip
  • Reply 5 of 55
    vijay_smartvijay_smart Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    iMessage on windows platform will be nice but Apple would never do that.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 55
    vannygeevannygee Posts: 61member
    one of the reasons why my workstation has become a hackintosh
  • Reply 7 of 55
    tylersdad said:
    Count me as another who'd like to see this happen. I'd also like to see the long-awaited arrival of FaceTime as an open standard too, but I'm not holding my breath for either, frankly. 

"We’re going to the standards bodies, starting tomorrow, and we’re going to make FaceTime an open industry standard.” Steve Jobs, 2010
    I thought that had been held up due to the VirnetX patent case.

I would like to see Messages be cross-platform but I don’t know if Apple would go for it.  And if they did I can imagine it being in a limited form, like only text and images, not of the ‘extras’ (like stickers and screen effects, etc).  It would be nice to use Apple Pay Cash with my non-iOS friends.
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 55
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    If Apple really wants to push their services forward, they really need to consider opening iCloud to all platforms, leaving some features/functions Apple device only. iMessage would be the first and most obvious as it would be the most desirable of all of Apple's services that someone on another platform would want to use. It would open the door to other Apple services via an Apple ID account. Buy DuckDuckGo, open Apple Maps, Siri, etc.

They could monetize these services by including ads when they're accessed from 3rd party platforms.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    tylersdad said:

You can't force a standard, you can only propose one. It can be rejected regardless of what Steve Jobs wanted.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 55
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    There's a ton we can do on Android: Um, Doh!

there's plenty we can do on Apple: No thank you!

that we haven't done yet: You've done enough, thanks but no thanks.

so let's go get to the edge and as far as we can and I think we'll be in a better place: You'll be in a better place, not Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 55

ihatescreennames said:

I would like to see Messages be cross-platform but I don’t know if Apple would go for it.  And if they did I can imagine it being in a limited form, like only text and images, not of the ‘extras’ (like stickers and screen effects, etc).  It would be nice to use Apple Pay Cash with my non-iOS friends.

iMessage on 3rd party platforms wouldn't offer anything more than what the Mac is currently capable of; the "extras" you speak of are iOS-only.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 55
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Too bad, a duying flatform...tsk-tsk-tsk
    my windows desktop at home is always off, i open it only when i have too. Wife and kids used thier ipad and phone all the time...
    used and always love windows at work 
  • Reply 13 of 55
    mjtomlin said:

ihatescreennames said:

iMessage on 3rd party platforms wouldn't offer anything more than what the Mac is currently capable of; the "extras" you speak of are iOS-only.
    That's not entirely true.  I  can see stickers in Messages on OS X, but I can't add any from it.  Also, we can "Tapback" on OS X (Like, Dislike, Love, Laugh, etc).
  • Reply 14 of 55
    mjtomlin said:
    tylersdad said:

You can't force a standard, you can only propose one. It can be rejected regardless of what Steve Jobs wanted.
    I can't find any evidence to suggest that FaceTime was ever proposed as a standard.
    cornchip
  • Reply 15 of 55
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    iMessage isn’t even on iCloud.com. No way will Apple do anything to make it easier to switch to someone else’s hardware and iMessage is probably the stickiest thing in Apple’s ecosystem. 
    racerhomie3jbdragon
  • Reply 16 of 55
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    mike1 said:
    mike54 said:
    I would like this too.
    Wouldn’t that be dictated by your company though? I know where I work that would never be allowed. I can’t even get to icloud.com on my work PC.
    entropys
  • Reply 17 of 55
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    slurpy said:
    I assume that with iCloud messages, this might become a more feasible option since it will be all cloud based. 
    That's an excellent point.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    mike1 said:
    mike54 said:
    I would like this too.
    Wouldn’t that be dictated by your company though? I know where I work that would never be allowed. I can’t even get to icloud.com on my work PC.
    My work-provided laptop is locked down tighter than Fort Knox and I can get into iCloud.com without any difficulty. 
  • Reply 19 of 55
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tylersdad said:
    mjtomlin said:
    tylersdad said:
    I can't find any evidence to suggest that FaceTime was ever proposed as a standard.
    What do you mean by proposed? It was never up as an open source solution, but Steve Jobs certainly said it would be. If you mean the former, then no. If you mean the latter, than I'm sure we can dig up the event where he said it.
    edited May 2018 cornchipjbdragon
  • Reply 20 of 55
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    iMessage on windows platform will be nice but Apple would never do that.
    They might. It still keeps people in the iPhone platform which is what they care about.