Apple Watch saves another life, this time in Hong Kong

Posted:
in Apple Watch
In the latest in a series of recent stories involving the Apple Watch literally saving the lives of users, a 76-year-old man in Hong Kong says the Watch led to the diagnosis of a serious heart condition.

Apple Watch on wrist

Gaston D'Aquino, a 76-year-old Hong Kong resident, was attending church on Easter Sunday when his Apple Watch alarm went off. According to the South China Morning Post, D'Aquino went straight to the hospital, where doctors ultimately diagnosed him with two arteries that were 100 percent blocked and a third that was 90 percent blocked.

D'Aquino, who was generally healthy and hadn't shown any outward symptoms prior to the alarm going off, later underwent an angioplasty and is feeling much better. Now he suggests that anyone with heart problems purchase an Apple Watch.

D'Aquino, a semi-retired diamond trader, even wrote a letter to Tim Cook, to which Cook responded that "I'm so glad you sought medical attention and you're fine now. I appreciate you taking the time to share your story."

Not the first

The story of D'Aquino is at least the third of its kind in the last month, in which the Apple Watch playing a role in the saving of a user's life has made headlines.

18-year-old Deanna Recktenwald's Apple Watch monitor caught a previously undiagnosed kidney disease, while 32-year-old William Monzidelis received medical treatment for unusual bleeding after his monitor went off as well. Recktenwald also wrote to Cook to share the story.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    This is one big reason to buy an Apple Watch. 
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Love reading these type of stories.
    stanhoperacerhomie3jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Yes, better than any advertisement. And in China too!
    racerhomie3jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    I love how the early apple watch haters. Ust hate these stories.
    Solijbdragonwatto_cobraaxcoatl
  • Reply 5 of 12
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Good job Apple Watch.
    Apple Watch Edition is on top of my wish list.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    cbppcbpp Posts: 8member
    What app caused an alarm to go off? Apple Watch built in heart monitor or something else? I did not know there was an alarm feature.
    cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 12
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    cbpp said:
    What app caused an alarm to go off? Apple Watch built in heart monitor or something else? I did not know there was an alarm feature.
    When a (quite) high heart rate is detected, but the wearer doesn't appear to be doing any vigorous exercise, the Apple Watch will raise an alarm.  It is a relatively new s/w feature implemented in a dot release of WatchOS 4.
    edited May 2018 SoliStrangeDaysjbdragoncornchipwatto_cobraaxcoatl
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Calculate the total number of persons living today that are more than 50 years of age, then calculate 1% of that total = potential addressable market for the Apple Watch growing 2% per annum.  Apple Watch could be Apple's revenue engine (displacing iPhone) in just a few years.

If you are at risk of a heart attack are you going to trust your life to the low priced knockoffs with no track record?
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    brucemc said:
    cbpp said:
    When a (quite) high heart rate is detected, but the wearer doesn't appear to be doing any vigorous exercise, the Apple Watch will raise an alarm.  It is a relatively new s/w feature implemented in a dot release of WatchOS 4.
    I still don't know if it will go off even if you have the device on silent or theater mode. I tend to keep both of those on all the time but I hope that the alarm will bypass all that if my life is in danger (as well in as DnD mode).
    edited May 2018 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    From latest 3 stories, 2 out of 3 in church, that's statistically a bit high  ;)
    cornchipwatto_cobraaxcoatl
  • Reply 11 of 12
    October 22 2017 was having mild chest pains and pains in hands. I was sitting in my recliner. Right before the pain started my series 3 went off. Resting heart rate 175. Immediately went to emergency room 100 percent blockage. Mild pain was horrible by hospital arrival only 10 minutes away.  The watch alerted me to get to hospital in time. If I waited until pain intensified I would have died that day. Sent Tim Cook email. He responded next day. Always an Apple fan but after that day it’s solidified.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    October 21st 2017. I got a warning of heart rate over 120 bpm while I’d been inactive for 10 minutes. 

I was waiting in the church vestibule for the cue to walk out and get married. LOL
    Soli