Apple 'iPhone SE 2' glass pops up on social media, but questions abound

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
A pair of photos posted to social media claim to show glass panels for Apple's expected "iPhone SE 2," and if real, would hint at a significant redesign.

iphonese2-panels

The most obvious difference is the presence of an iPhone X-style notch towards the top, which would match a recent render shared by vendor Mobile Fun. The panels, seen on China's Weibo, also appear to be notably larger than those for the existing iPhone SE, and closer in size to iPhone X glass, or to any number of notched Android phones.

Together the factors seemingly point to the presence of a TrueDepth camera, Face ID, and/or an edge-to-edge display. That would conflict with other reports about the device however, which have suggested few external changes. In previous rumors, the phone has been pegged as getting internal upgrades like an A10 processor and possibly wireless charging.

Conceivably an "SE 2" could simply have a bigger display, and use the notch for normal cameras and sensors, but given the phone's target audience and price, this seems unlikely. Additionally, the shape of the notch in the glass in Friday's pictures isn't quite the same as the one revealed by a case manufacturer on Thursday.

Even Geskin seems to suspect that the glass is bogus. In a Tweet just prior to this "leak," he notes that his sources say that the "iPhone SE 2" is about the same externally as the iPhone SE is, but with a glass back. It's also not clear why the "iPhone SE 2" glass itself would have a notch cut into it, as opposed to a solid piece of glass like in the iPhone X.

I have to say, that my main source is saying that SE2 will have the same design (and display) as the first SE, but with a glass back.

-- Ben Geskin (@VenyaGeskin1)

The original iPhone SE shipped in March 2016 and is often considered overdue for an update, particularly among people who enjoy its smaller 4-inch form factor. It uses the same general design as 2013's iPhone 5s, only enhanced with some of the features of 2015's iPhone 6s, such as a better processor.

Apple would likely want to add technologies like Face ID to a new model, but the cost and complexity of manufacturing TrueDepth cameras means that in 2018 the feature will probably be reserved for this fall's flagship iPhones. The company is rumored to be preparing three products: 5.8- and 6.5-inch OLED models, and a cheaper 6.1-inch LCD alternative.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    I think this is a new model that will be positioned as a smaller size companion the 6.1" LCD device.  It would also jibe with Ming's rumor of a new LCD device starting at around $500.  That would actually be a decent lineup for Apple in the fall.

4.0" SE2 - $399
    5.2" LCD - $549
    6.1" LCD - $699
    5.8" OLED - $899
    6.4" OLED - $999

Under that lineup the iPhone 8 would likely be completely dropped rather than carried over as a low-cost model.  There wouldn't be any need for a $599 4.7" LCD device with huge bezels and TouchID.  You might see the iPhone 7 carried over to have something in the $400-$500 range.
    edited May 2018 canukstorm
  • Reply 2 of 18
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member
    I’m not sure I buy this rumor, but I would buy the phone. 

Skepticism about True Depth in an SE successor may not take into consideration the possibility that Apple could benefit from economies of scale if they use similar components across the product range, and there’s no reason they couldn’t bump up the price point if necessary, and/or save money in areas that people are less likely to notice, like screen technology. Also, if they’re updating the SE range only every other year, they might start with something that initially has lower margins but will age well as a model and become more profitable as component prices go down over time. And they could come out with an updated True Depth camera for the X successor in September but continue to manufacture the current version for the so-called SE 2. 
    larryafrantisek
  • Reply 3 of 18
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Tim Cook’s strategy is working well.

• Reply 4 of 18
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member
    SE2 a mini iPhone X!  Cannot wait for it release!
  • Reply 5 of 18
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    an SE2 with a bigger display would just be an 8, right?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    In short: no one has a clue what’s going on.
    cornchipboogerman2000frantisekredgeminipa
  • Reply 7 of 18
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Regardless of whether it gets the X treatment and/or glass back or not, would it kill them to raise the edges up the .67mm to make flush with screen. Always bugged me about that design.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    I've never had any interest in an SE - fingers too awkward and eyes are getting bad (and I spent hours on this site trying to convince others that the screen was too small).  But I'm pretty ok with my 4.7" iPhone 6.  If I could have my 4.7" screen in a smaller form factor, and as a bonus, the cheapest price, I might have to buy that phone!
    berndog
  • Reply 9 of 18
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Much as I love the idea of a "mini-me" version of the iPhone X, if the iPhone SE 2 is actually going to be produced, it will fulfill the same role the original SE did: it will be the bottom end of Apple's new iPhone line. Most of the features the rumours ascribe to it (A11, OLED or advanced LED, more RAM, Face ID, et cetera) are still expensive technologies -- so I think some or most of them are unrealistic.

The target market for the SE isn't people with tiny hands (cough) or the North American market at all, really -- it's a cheaper yet full iPhone experience for more budget-restricted markets. Keeping that in mind, Apple might throw in the A11 (forsaking some profit margin) in order to keep the new design highly relevant and sellable as "new" for at least two years (i.e., just like the current model), but I'm betting against the concept of "a smaller iPhone X," particularly at $350. Give me a break!
    cornchipdoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 18
    mutatiomutatio Posts: 28member
    I would love to have a ~4.7" iPhone 8 screen in the chassis of something like the SE. A true one-handed device with a screen that doesn't leave you feeling claustrophobic. Give me 256GB of storage and I'm sold, even if it doesn't have all the X's bells and whistles. 
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Speaking of the iPhone SE, costs, sizes and more... I just bought an iPhone SE 32GB phone on Cricket Wireless for $159 (and a $25 mystery "upgrade fee"... perhaps to defray the free next-business-day delivery expense... plus tax) and no contract.*  

I've had it for a couple of weeks and the speed and OS is so much better than my five-year old iPhone 5 (with the original but bulging battery) and 10.3.3, the last update provided by Apple for this model.  

As for Cricket, I signed up three years ago and prices have come down from $35 a month to $30.  Not only did I cut my AT&T bill in half when I moved, I received more phone time (from 800 minutes/mo to unlimited) and texts (from $0.10 each to unlimited) and data (an amount I don't remember to 2 GB).  

Cricket uses the same AT&T towers and equipment, so I get the same service (and same exasperating number of dropped calls... 3 disconnects during one 45-minute call this week).  

Cricket's downside, in my experience, is the lack of language skills among Customer Service staffers.  The latter is not a staggering problem because on those few occasions when I call Customer Service, I just politely tell the agent, "We seem to be having communication problems, may I speak with a supervisor?" I'm also prepared to read email or put receipts into Quicken while I'm waiting on hold.  

Wrapping up, know that the SE has been in and out of stock for the last few weeks and the only model is 32GB and Space Gray.  

*Checking Google, I see that Boost Mobile, Best Buy and Walmart now offer the same $159 price (Apple's price is $349) and more colors for the iPhone SE.  Check for contracts and other program details; I'd do that for you but I'm not being paid for this piece and frankly, I've got some Netflixing to do.  Happy cell phoning!
  • Reply 12 of 18
    mutatiomutatio Posts: 28member
    chasm said:
    Much as I love the idea of a "mini-me" version of the iPhone X, if the iPhone SE 2 is actually going to be produced, it will fulfill the same role the original SE did: it will be the bottom end of Apple's new iPhone line. Most of the features the rumours ascribe to it (A11, OLED or advanced LED, more RAM, Face ID, et cetera) are still expensive technologies -- so I think some or most of them are unrealistic.

The target market for the SE isn't people with tiny hands (cough) or the North American market at all, really -- it's a cheaper yet full iPhone experience for more budget-restricted markets. Keeping that in mind, Apple might throw in the A11 (forsaking some profit margin) in order to keep the new design highly relevant and sellable as "new" for at least two years (i.e., just like the current model), but I'm betting against the concept of "a smaller iPhone X," particularly at $350. Give me a break!
    We will see. Moving the iPad to the A10 means economies of scale that Apple likes if the SE also gets it. Scrap the OLED and you've got two significant costs cut out of the equation. Lower res screen means the A10 gets more mileage without the need for A11.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 18
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    SE2 a mini iPhone X!  Cannot wait for it release!
    It will probably happen, if not this year than later. But question for Apple is of course profitability and how much it will eat 5.8" model sale.
    If they produce it in India, it would be definately interesting for that market.

And it can have notch but not sute it can have Face ID without A11. There can be question whether A11 has to be clocked down to keep battery performance in such small body.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 14 of 18
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    chasm said:

Remember part of this years update is Apples move away from imagination tech gpu. So the 7 couple be updated to be the new SE base price point phone even have a plus option. That would give them the option  to push the mini me up the price points to pay for getter features in a tiny shell. 
  • Reply 15 of 18
    It looks like a screen protector for the X. No other reason it would have the whole cutout for the notch.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    I’m hoping that they have 2 versions. The premium one will have the notch. I, like may others, would gladly pay up for a X version of the SE. we like the small form factor. So did Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    I just bought an iPhone SE 32GB phone on Cricket Wireless for $159 (and a $25 mystery "upgrade fee"... perhaps to defray the free next-business-day delivery expense... plus tax) and no contract.* I've had it for a couple of weeks and the speed and OS is so much better than my five-year old iPhone 5 (with the original but bulging battery) and 10.3.3, the last update provided by Apple for this model. As for Cricket, I signed up three years ago and prices have come down from $35 a month to $30. Not only did I cut my AT&T bill in half when I moved, I received more phone time (from 800 minutes/mo to unlimited) and texts (from $0.10 each to unlimited) and data (an amount I don't remember to 2 GB). Cricket uses the same AT&T towers and equipment, so I get the same service (and same exasperating number of dropped calls... 3 disconnects during one 45-minute call this week). Cricket's downside, in my experience, has been with the lack of language skills with Customer Service staffers. The latter is not a staggering problem because on those few occasions when I call Customer Service, I'm now ready to politely tell the agent "We seem to be having communication problems, may I speak with a supervisor?" I'm also prepared to read email or put receipts into Quicken while I'm waiting on hold. Wrapping up, know that the SE has been in and out of stock for the last few weeks and the only model is 32GB and Space Gray. *Checking Google, I see that Boost Mobile, Best Buy and Walmart now offer the same price and more colors for the iPhone SE. Check for contracts and other program details; I'd do that for you but I'm not being paid for this piece and frankly, I've got some Netflixing to do. Happy cell phoning!
  • Reply 18 of 18
    cornchip said:
    Regardless of whether it gets the X treatment and/or glass back or not, would it kill them to raise the edges up the .67mm to make flush with screen. Always bugged me about that design.
    me too, the non-symmetry from the side hurts my OCD. I actually used to have a pointless glass protector on the rear just to even it out. Since I got the product-red apple leather case tho it's been out-of-sight, out-of-mind thankfully.

appleinsider said:
    but given the phone's target audience and price, this seems unlikely
    Where or when did Apple ever say that the SE was targetted at the low-end market? It was always purely about the size, Apple explicitly expressed that during it's reveal. The price point was imho, down to it having the same 5S chassis and some of (then) last-year's components. The media would have went balistic if apple rehashed the 5S and doubled (or more) the price. Apple should be brave this year and launch a premium-spec, 4"er, it will sell.