Apple's Mac mini now inexcusably getting trounced by cheap Intel hardware

Comments

• Reply 41 of 238
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

entropys said:
    The core problem is that a corporation built, saved and rebuilt by a visionary is now run by a supply chain efficiency expert.
    And that very supply chain efficiency expert was hired by the visionary because he believed in that "supply chain efficiency expert"...

Nobody has ever, ever said who would be better than Tim Cook as Apple's CEO. And don't say anyone would better because you know that isn't true. All people want to do is complain with no solution. 
    edited May 2018 Alex1Nfastasleepstaigard
  • Reply 42 of 238
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macxpress said:
    entropys said:
    macxpress said:
    Oh boy...here we go! Continuous bitching about the Mac mini. I doubt most here are gonna buy one anyways. 
    Of course not. To be frank, you would have to be a brainless idiot to buy the current insult of a Mac mini.

I get that most of the money comes from the iPhone, so it’s the priority.  But the most stupid thing about the neglect and/or gimping of pretty all Mac lines over an extended period is that it is mistreating Mac buyers, who are the most loyal long term buyers of all things Apple, and have always been the greatest evangelists for its platforms and ecosystems. Neglecting and deliberately crippling functionality and utility of macs by design, and then failing to at the least keep them up to date is beyond the pale.

Divorce is ugly. And just like a neglected and spourned spouse, lovers can be turned into passionate haters.

Even if Apple updated them today with modern specs...how many are gonna actually go buy one? Its just like the Mac Pro. Everyone wants to complain about it, but very little here are actually gonna go buy one. 
    I think that all depends. Let's say they came out with a new Mac mini that was considerably faster than the current models at a give price point -and- started at $100 less than they do now because they're CPU is Apple silicon. I think that would be a huge success for the Mac mini (Mac Air).
    edited May 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 43 of 238
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    macxpress said:
    entropys said:
    macxpress said:
    Oh boy...here we go! Continuous bitching about the Mac mini. I doubt most here are gonna buy one anyways. 
    Of course not. To be frank, you would have to be a brainless idiot to buy the current insult of a Mac mini.

I get that most of the money comes from the iPhone, so it’s the priority.  But the most stupid thing about the neglect and/or gimping of pretty all Mac lines over an extended period is that it is mistreating Mac buyers, who are the most loyal long term buyers of all things Apple, and have always been the greatest evangelists for its platforms and ecosystems. Neglecting and deliberately crippling functionality and utility of macs by design, and then failing to at the least keep them up to date is beyond the pale.

Divorce is ugly. And just like a neglected and spourned spouse, lovers can be turned into passionate haters.

Even if Apple updated them today with modern specs...how many are gonna actually go buy one? Its just like the Mac Pro. Everyone wants to complain about it, but very little here are actually gonna go buy one. 
    Apple needs to shit or get off the pot. Same with the MacBook Air, iPod Touch and iPad mini. You’re not going to update these products then kill them.
    entropysDAalsethcgWerkswilliamlondond_2elijahg
  • Reply 44 of 238
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    entropys said:
    macxpress said:

I think that all depends. Let's say they came out with a new Mac mini that was considerably faster than the current models at a give price point -and- started at $100 less than they do now because they're CPU is Apple silicon. I think that would be a huge success for the Mac mini (Mac Air).
    I was thinking more along the lines of updating it today with Intel's latest stuff. 

I agree that if Apple does in fact release a Mac mini with their own CPU/GPU inside it, people would buy it. Some would buy it simply to see what its like and its cheap enough to where people can do that. Same goes for the MacBook Air (hopefully they rename this)
    edited May 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 45 of 238
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    macxpress said:

entropys said:
    The core problem is that a corporation built, saved and rebuilt by a visionary is now run by a supply chain efficiency expert.
    And that very supply chain efficiency expert was hired by the visionary because he believed in that "supply chain efficiency expert"...

Nobody has ever, ever said who would be better than Tim Cook as Apple's CEO. And don't say anyone would better because you know that isn't true. All people want to do is complain with no solution. 
    I am just saying that a supply chain efficiency expert, even the best supply chain efficiency expert in the world, will be focussed on supply chain efficiency. That has implications for other aspects of the product. Like how users use it.
    Alex1Nelijahglarrya
  • Reply 46 of 238
    tylersdad said: The author says he spent "about 800 dollars on the system". Regardless of what that link says, the author did not pay $1200.
    And? Like I said, the same link provided shows a NUC using the same CPU/GPU and some additional hardware/software thrown in for almost $1200. So NUCs aren't really a direct comparison to the Mac mini. Some are priced like that, but others are well into MacBook/iMac territory. And like I said, the Mac mini was not released by Apple to compete in a spec showdown with razor-thin margin PC gaming hardware. It was meant as a gateway to Mac OS for people who might not ordinarily buy a Mac. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 47 of 238
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    entropys said:
    macxpress said:

I was thinking more along the lines of updating it today with Intel's latest stuff. 

I agree that if Apple does in fact release a Mac mini with their own CPU/GPU inside it, people would buy it. Some would buy it simply to see what its like and its cheap enough to where people can do that. Same goes for the MacBook Air (hopefully they rename this)
    See, I think that using the Air moniker is a great way to differentiate Apple's Intel-based products v ARM-based products. MacBook Air, which is effectively like the MacBook but with Apple silicon, a Mac Air or Mac mini Air, and/or iMac Air all following the same pattern. Do I like these names? Not really, but I've rarely ever cared for any name Apple has ever used for any product throughout their history—I just think it would be a clear demarcation for a company that is using two different architectures for their desktop and laptop PCs.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 48 of 238
    indieshackindieshack Posts: 328member
    Unfortunately Apple see the Mac mini as eating into sales of iMac and therefore it’s functionally deprecated. Same for the iPad mini - lots of people love it but they didn’t like selling it as it ate into iPad sales and - like the Mac mini - it’s specs are now an embarrassment.
    mike54Alex1Nwozwoz
  • Reply 49 of 238
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I think you are on to something there, Soli. As long as it is running OSX
    SoliAlex1N
  • Reply 50 of 238
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    Since Steve Jobs passing, I've slowly left the Apple Ecosystem that I was once pulled into.

Apple either abandoned software programs or striped them of so many features I've moved on to Third Party software.
    Apple abadnoned monitors so I've moved on to third party monitors.
    Apple abandoned routers so I've moved on to third party routers.
    Apples abadoned the mac mini so I created several hackintoshes to fill the void but those are mostly running windows 10 now full time.

I've fallen in love with the Microsoft Surface line since they have managed to merge laptop/tablet/desktop well enough that you don't encounter the sever trade offs you get between Mac OS and iOS software and devices.

Homekit is a joke. Where are the products and, what is there, have sever issues. Follow Googe Nest and make your own line of products Apple. Your no longer a computer company but consumer company so fulfill that role.
    I stopped reading after “ Steve Jobs passing” as all you can offer is some fantasy land narrative about the existence of some supposed Steve Jobs clone that will carry on with what you perceive as some mystical person that can do no wrong. 

Please stop as it offers nothing realistic to the discussion. Please. 
    williamlondonmacxpressAlex1Nmacseekerfastasleepmuthuk_vanalingamroundaboutnow
  • Reply 51 of 238
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    I don't think Apple is dropping any ball. They just don't care about the Mac mini, which is obvious. They don't care if it withers and dies. Some may not like that, but it's Apple's decision. Honestly, I don't blame them. The mac mini just isn't able to convey the Apple "magic" like their other products, because of lack of a screen, and it needs non-Apple hardware to make it functional. Apple would much rather you buy an iMac, or a Macbook in it's place. The Mac mini is neithera big profit maker, nor a great ambassador for the Apple brand, so there is little reason to focus on it. The people who are interested in this product are also a small niche, compared to all other Apple products.
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 52 of 238
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    kruegdude said:
    Since Steve Jobs passing, I've slowly left the Apple Ecosystem that I was once pulled into.

Apple either abandoned software programs or striped them of so many features I've moved on to Third Party software.
    Apple abadnoned monitors so I've moved on to third party monitors.
    Apple abandoned routers so I've moved on to third party routers.
    Apples abadoned the mac mini so I created several hackintoshes to fill the void but those are mostly running windows 10 now full time.

I've fallen in love with the Microsoft Surface line since they have managed to merge laptop/tablet/desktop well enough that you don't encounter the sever trade offs you get between Mac OS and iOS software and devices.

Homekit is a joke. Where are the products and, what is there, have sever issues. Follow Googe Nest and make your own line of products Apple. Your no longer a computer company but consumer company so fulfill that role.
    I stopped reading after “ Steve Jobs passing” as all you can offer is some fantasy land narrative about the existence of some supposed Steve Jobs clone that will carry on with what you perceive as some mystical person that can do no wrong. 

Please stop as it offers nothing realistic to the discussion. Please. 
    Amen. 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 53 of 238
    Unfortunately Apple see the Mac mini as eating into sales of iMac and therefore it’s functionally deprecated. Same for the iPad mini - lots of people love it but they didn’t like selling it as it ate into iPad sales and - like the Mac mini - it’s specs are now an embarrassment.
    More than likely, the Mac mini just wasn't selling much anymore. I doubt NUCs are very big sellers in the PC world. IMO, best case scenario for people that want a low-end Mac with no monitor/screen is that the upcoming modular Mac allows that type of configuration. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 54 of 238
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Last year, prior to purchasing my 2017 MacBook (rose gold) from B&H ~$1,200. I thought about going 'super-cheap' and contemplated getting a refurbished MM and a cheap monitor from Amazon. (I already had a KB and TrackPad from my 2005 iMac.) I decided against it b/c of three things. Too may wires, worried about not having the the latest MacOS's and lastly, lack of mobility. Speed, power, storage were insignificant. All Macs have more specs than I really need.

I'm so pleased with my MacBook, but I'm looking to go all in on iOS soon. The next gen iPad Pro (rose gold, of course) and the Se2 and I should be good. 

Looking to upgrade my Series 0 AppleWatch w/ the new slimmer form factor soon. Also, my AppleTV to 4K and my 50" TV to 85" AirPods to the new ones w/ charging case, the PowerPad, etc. etc.

Best

• Reply 55 of 238
    KBChicagoKBChicago Posts: 21unconfirmed, member
    macxpress said:
    I'm getting ready to add 3 more computers at my business.  Mac Minis fit our needs but the current models are so long in the tooth that it's hard to justify.  I don't want to pony up the extra money for a iMac and I'm not switching to Windows.  We won't be able to wait much longer.
    mike54wozwozelijahgFuture-Proof
  • Reply 56 of 238
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,333member
    There have been a number of very small form factor ruggedized PCs available in the industrial space for at least the past 25 years. (Prior generations were much larger.) The NUCs are derivative, i.e., essentially a less ruggedized commercial variation of industrial PCs. I've used NUCs for prototyping industrial PC based products and in labs but wouldn't deploy them into environments that industrial PCs are designed to serve. I like the NUC a lot for PC based applications that require the NUC form factor but you're really paying a premium for the small form factor and packaging. Some of the NUCs have extremely loud fans that can be rather obnoxious in an office or home setting and driver support can lag behind other brand PCs. NUCs are not cheap when you option them up with top of the line components. 

Because the NUC is derivative of a class of computers that was already serving a sizable market it makes a lot of sense for Intel to continue to invest in fleshing out the NUC product line and keeping it up to date. The NUC has a sizable market where its small form factor is a necessity. The NUC isn't directly competing against full sized desktop computers. Many NUC based applications run headless.

The Mac Mini isn't a derivative product. It was designed from Day 1 to be a fully fledged Mac in a smaller form factor while maintaining the aesthetics and simplicity of all Apple consumer products. There wasn't an existing market for a Mac Mini type computer prior to Apple building it. After the Mac Mini arrived people undoubtedly figured out some cool applications that could take advantage of the Mini. But in contrast to the NUC, the number of applications where the Mini's form factor is a necessity is very small compared to the NUC. With so few "industrial" computing applications requiring the Mini form factor, what market is Apple really going after with the Mini that cannot be as well or better served through Apple's huge investment in the iMac product line? 

As much as I like my Mini, I also recognize that it serves a tiny market (as a desktop computer) that is becoming increasingly irrelevant to the vast majority of computer users. If the Mini is to survive it's up to Apple to create some new and highly compelling applications that a next generation Mini is uniquely positioned to serve. I would love to see Apple come up with a "unit of computing" Mini that is positioned as an edge device for a growing array of Apple cloud based applications. This new Mini could live in a router or HomeKit gateway and also be something that can be "projectized" into prototypes, experiments, and education like the Raspberry Pi.  Like the current Raspberry Pi the new Mini could be also used as a desktop computer, but that would not be its primary use case. 

Alex1N
  • Reply 57 of 238
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    The deskttop is dead. Apple is now a mobile device company.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 58 of 238
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member

macxpress said:
    No doubt... totally unjustified, eh? We should sing Apple's praises for still selling us several year old machines at such low-ultra-premium prices.
    And, speak for yourself there. If they simply put a current processor and ports in one, I'd very likely buy at least one.

foregoneconclusion said:
    ... So why not just buy a MacBook or iMac?
    Because I want to use my own multi-purpose display.
    For others, maybe the size and form-factor.

Robots78 said:
    It's pretty sad that the most profitable corporation in the world somehow can't marshal the resources to keep their product lines up-to-date. 
    I'm pretty sure they just don't want to, or they'd get it done. This same company that can't seem to keep their computers up-to-date, produces products like the Apple Watch, HomePod, and even works on AI car projects. The idea that they somehow can't do it is just a silly excuse.

The real question is whether they've had a change or heart recently or not. If no, then it's time to move on. They sure like to carrot us along though, huh?

macxpress said:
    No but its not exactly a big seller and doesn't make much money for Apple so I can see why they're not doing much with it. 
    Neither are the Apple Watch or HomePod, but they find time for those.

macxpress said:
    As I recall, the Mac mini even when it was updated a lot wasn't exactly a big seller. Its pretty much always been near the bottom of the sales list back when they broke sales down by models and I believe Apple has even admitted both the Mac Pro and Mac mini were on the bottom of the sales list consistently. 
    Do you mean downgraded it, or back when it was more popular? It's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy if you don't update something for years, overprice it, and then complain the sales are low.

macxpress said:

tylersdad said:
    ...  iMac or MacBook-quality monitors can be had for well under $300.  
    Bahahahahaha! Yeah right!
    True, but one can easily get a good-enough monitor for that or less. ***AND*** you can actually also plug other devices into it. What a concept!
    elijahg
  • Reply 59 of 238
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    entropys said:
    macxpress said:

entropys said:

I am just saying that a supply chain efficiency expert, even the best supply chain efficiency expert in the world, will be focussed on supply chain efficiency. That has implications for other aspects of the product. Like how users use it.
    entropys said:
    macxpress said:

entropys said:

And what you seem to ignore for the sake of your endless complaining narrative is who would replace Steve Jobs. Come up with a name please. 
  • Reply 60 of 238
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    slurpy said:
    I don't think Apple is dropping any ball. They just don't care about the Mac mini, which is obvious. They don't care if it withers and dies. Some may not like that, but it's Apple's decision. Honestly, I don't blame them. The mac mini just isn't able to convey the Apple "magic" like their other products, because of lack of a screen, and it needs non-Apple hardware to make it functional. Apple would much rather you buy an iMac, or a Macbook in it's place. The Mac mini is neithera big profit maker, nor a great ambassador for the Apple brand, so there is little reason to focus on it. The people who are interested in this product are also a small niche, compared to all other Apple products.
    Yep, Apple isn’t that into the MacMini.   It’s going the way of the AirPort router .  If Apple was going to come out with an updated Mac Mini anytime in the next two years it would have announced it like the MacPro.

it may be the correct decision given how long it took for HomePod to come out and how the AirPower recharger has yet to show up.

i have/had a MM and last summer decided to get a 2015 MBP to replace it.

I really expect the MBP to get the next update with fix for the keyboard.