Apple's Mac mini now inexcusably getting trounced by cheap Intel hardware

Comments

• Reply 61 of 238
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member
    thrang said:
    Computers are becoming less important, especially desktop computers, relative to portable devices.

If Apple does anything here, it shouldn't be a new Mac Mini, but a new paradigm for home computer.

When it was first introduced, the iMac was the new paradigm for the home computer.  Maybe the iMac should go back to its roots & let the 2019 Mac Pro solely be catered to the Pro market.
  • Reply 62 of 238
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    k2kw said:
    If Apple was going to come out with an updated Mac Mini anytime in the next two years it would have announced it like the MacPro.
    The history of the Mac mini would indicate that to be an inaccurate assessment. Maybe they have, but I don't recall the Mac mini ever getting announced alongside the Mac Pro as standard marketing technique. I do recall AI putting out countless articles and the Internet as a whole claiming the Mac mini will be gone any day now, and yet over a decade later it still exists despite all the toe tags you and others keep placing on it. Eventually you'll probably be correct, but you can say that about the demise of Apple in general… just like many pundits still like to claim.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 63 of 238
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member
    nunzy said:
    The deskttop is dead. Apple is now a mobile device company.
    To be fair, even Steve Jobs alluded to that in one of keynotes close to before he passed away.  He mentioned something along the lines of Apple being the world's largest mobile device company.  So Apple was already aiming the ship that way even when he was alive.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 64 of 238
    thrang said:
    Computers are becoming less important, especially desktop computers, relative to portable devices.

If Apple does anything here, it shouldn't be a new Mac Mini, but a new paradigm for home computer.

When it was first introduced, the iMac was the new paradigm for the home computer.  Maybe the iMac should go back to its roots & let the 2019 Mac Pro solely be catered to the Pro market.
    Things have changed in 2 decades. Notebooks are the most popular type of Mac and the iPhone the most popular type of personal computer from Apple. Even the iPad bests all the Macs being sold by a wide margin. I don't see this ever changing to make make the Mac more important than either of those, much less a desktop Mac.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 65 of 238
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Mike Wuerthele said:
    There's no defense here, more resignation to a fate. 
    Like I said, we're realists.
    Gosh I hope not. But, what I mean is that you clump together the hobbyists who like to get inside machines, with just having reasonably powerful and up-to-date Macs. Those are two fairly different things.... so don't even go with the hobbyists. Just say that Apple seems to have decided the Mac isn't worth their time any longer (unless you think that's not the case). That would be a realist. The hobbyist thing sounds like you're justifying their decision as reasonable (as I think it would be reasonable to not address that market any longer). Not updating the Macs (unless they come right out and tell us the Mac is dead) isn't reasonable at all.

macxpress said:
    Even if Apple updated them today with modern specs...how many are gonna actually go buy one? Its just like the Mac Pro. Everyone wants to complain about it, but very little here are actually gonna go buy one. 
    No, it's not the same. Many of us have ~$600-$1000 to spend on a computer, but not $6000+, even if we like what they make.

macxpress said:
    Nobody has ever, ever said who would be better than Tim Cook as Apple's CEO. And don't say anyone would better because you know that isn't true. All people want to do is complain with no solution. 
    The solution seems quite simple, at least in regard to Macs. Friggin' update them! Then, work on the 'next big thing' assuming Tim isn't lying about Apple's commitment to Macs. Even a supply chain expert should be able to figure that out.

mike54 said:
    Sadly, with Apple's zero commitment to its only reasonably priced headless mac, I've moved onto Windows.
    How is that going? (Serious question, as I'm strongly considering it, but it seems too big of a leap overall, yet.)
    Alex1Nelijahg
  • Reply 66 of 238
    nunzy said:
    The deskttop is dead. Apple is now a mobile device company.
    To be fair, even Steve Jobs alluded to that in one of keynotes close to before he passed away.  He mentioned something along the lines of Apple being the world's largest mobile device company.  So Apple was already aiming the ship that way even when he was alive.
    And Jobs was also referring to their notebook line in that definition of mobile, but nunzy's comment is still wrong because shifting focus to a different type of device that meets consumer needs doesn't means that the other is dead. When there is no Mac mini, iMac, or Mac Pro for sale from Apple then the Apple non-mobile, desktop PC will be dead.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 67 of 238
    Soli said:
    canukstorm said:
    Things have changed in 2 decades. Notebooks are the most popular type of Mac and the iPhone the most popular type of personal computer from Apple. Even the iPad bests all the Macs being sold by a wide margin. I don't see this ever changing to make make the Mac more important than either of those, much less a desktop Mac.
    When it was first introduced, wasn't it to be a 'switcher' computer? The idea was that Windows users could just swap out their box for a Mini and keep going, now experiencing the Mac eco-system.

There's much less of a need for that now. But, I think all the alternative uses for it still kind of hold true. And, since it's Apple's only affordable headless machine, I think still deserves a place in the lineup - assuming Macs deserve a place in the lineup (which is what I'm not so sure about from Apple's perspective). But, I'd hate to think Tim is just lying.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 68 of 238
    Soli said:
    And Jobs was also referring to their notebook line in that definition of mobile, but nunzy's comment is still wrong because shifting focus to a different type of device that meets consumer needs doesn't means that the other is dead. When there is no Mac mini, iMac, or Mac Pro for sale from Apple then the Apple non-mobile, desktop PC will be dead.
    Yes, and that day may come. But, it's still a long, long way off, as there needs to be a heck of a lot of advancement, especially in terms of use-case UI designs. It wouldn't matter, right now, if an iPad were 1000x more powerful than the iMac Pro... it isn't up to getting the job done in terms of apps and UI. What I don't know, is that Apple really understands this need for transition, if they are indeed thinking that far ahead.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 69 of 238
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    That mini looks like a brick.

• Reply 70 of 238
    That said, it's reasonably easy to install macOS on it -- but that's really an ethical and legal decision for the user to make. And, certainly, not supported in any way.
    Mike, I'm curious about this statement...

Are you saying that either of the units you mentioned are pretty straight-forward Hackintosh worthy? From one of my friends Hackintosh experience, I thought you had to buy some pretty exact components, and at times, swap out to other components to maintain compatibility (I recall he had to switch Ethernet cards at one point, for example, to update OS X).

If Apple doesn't come through in June... as much as I'd like to buy Apple hardware, and not have to mess with hacks and drivers, I'd consider going this route as in interim solution until I know where Apple really stands on the Mac. (As I put in a 'Genius Bar' thread Mac buying advice... I feel trapped into buying a cylinder Mac Pro that is rather expensive given how dated it is, especially when I don't know how long Apple will support it.)
    Alex1N
  • Reply 71 of 238
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    cgWerks said:
    That said, it's reasonably easy to install macOS on it -- but that's really an ethical and legal decision for the user to make. And, certainly, not supported in any way.
    Mike, I'm curious about this statement...

Are you saying that either of the units you mentioned are pretty straight-forward Hackintosh worthy? From one of my friends Hackintosh experience, I thought you had to buy some pretty exact components, and at times, swap out to other components to maintain compatibility (I recall he had to switch Ethernet cards at one point, for example, to update OS X).

If Apple doesn't come through in June... as much as I'd like to buy Apple hardware, and not have to mess with hacks and drivers, I'd consider going this route as in interim solution until I know where Apple really stands on the Mac. (As I put in a 'Genius Bar' thread Mac buying advice... I feel trapped into buying a cylinder Mac Pro that is rather expensive given how dated it is, especially when I don't know how long Apple will support it.)
    There are multiple threads on Hackintoshing an Intel NUC over at Tonymacx86. The NUC I bought is one of them.
    edited May 2018 cgWerksAlex1NFuture-Proof
  • Reply 72 of 238
    Mike Wuerthele said:
    There are multiple threads on Hackintoshing an Intel NUC over at Tonymacx86. The NUC I bought is one of them.
    Thanks Mike. How loud are these things.... idle, doing lighter work, and when pushing them?
  • Reply 73 of 238
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    cgWerks said:
    Mike Wuerthele said:
    Thanks Mike. How loud are these things.... idle, doing lighter work, and when pushing them?
    It may vary per model, but mine is about the same volume as when I put my 2012 i7 mini under load -- and certainly quieter than the eGPU.
    cgWerksAlex1N
  • Reply 74 of 238
    Sometimes the simplest answer is the answer. There aren’t a whole lot of Mac mini’s being sold. The fact that they haven’t discontinued it yet means they are selling just enough of them to keep making them at the factory.

The current version of the mini is essentially a 2014 era 13” MacBook Pro in a mini form factor. Gut feeling is they upgrade the Mac mini at the next refresh of the MacBook Pro in 2018, and they continue to use the MacBook Pro as the template for the mini’s hardware.
    Alex1Njcs2305
  • Reply 75 of 238
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    dcgoo said:
    The NUC is also a solid platform for VMWare ESXi.  I installed ESXi on a Mac Mini once, but quickly became frustrated and took it off. 

Add to that the demise of OSX Server, I think the handwriting is on the wall for the Mini. Too bad IMO
    I have a 2012 i7 quad core Mac Mini, which I used as the ESXi host at one point, but it's now sitting on my desk powered down. I also have a Skull Canyon NUC being used as an ESXi host. The NUC is running 12 VMs concurrently (with 32 GB of RAM installed). It boots ESXi off my NAS' LUN and all the VMs are hosted on the NAS LUNs as well. The NAS has an option to back up the LUNs, so it's a pretty sweet setup. The NUC has no internal storage at all - all the storage is on the NAS.  
    Alex1N
  • Reply 76 of 238
    It just seems as though Apple is leaving money on the table by not offering a Mac Mini that uses the latest Intel hardware and is user upgradeable. Maybe Apple would rather sell some other products like the AppleTV or 21" iMacs instead of the Mac Mini. I simply don't see why it should be so difficult for Apple to upgrade the Mac Mini. It isn't rocket science so it has to be something about how Apple wants to differentiate its products. I'm sure Mac Minis would sell somewhat well because the refurbished Mac Minis disappear from Apple's website rather quickly.

Anyway, I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure out Apple's reasons for doing the things they do. I would personally like to have a Mac Mini that supports 4K @ 60 fps for my next 4K HDTV. I want a Mac Mini because it will run full OSX and not some AppleTV that runs some TViOS. Apple may have good reasons for not doing what I need but I'd at least like to know why. It's just somewhat frustrating to see other computer companies being able to do things Apple doesn't seem to have any interest in. Maybe Apple only wants to sell profitable products and I suppose I can't fault them for wanting that.
    edited May 2018 Alex1Nwozwozentropys
  • Reply 77 of 238
    It just seems as though Apple is leaving money on the table by not offering a Mac Mini that uses the latest Intel hardware and is user upgradeable. Maybe Apple would rather sell some other products like the AppleTV or 21" iMacs instead of the Mac Mini. I simply don't see why it should be so difficult for Apple to upgrade the Mac Mini. It isn't rocket science so it has to be something about how Apple wants to differentiate its products. I'm sure Mac Minis would sell somewhat well because the refurbished Mac Minis disappear from Apple's website rather quickly.

Anyway, I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure out Apple's reasons for doing the things they do. I would personally like to have a Mac Mini that supports 4K @ 60 fps for my next 4K HDTV. I want a Mac Mini because it will run full OSX and not some AppleTV that runs some TViOS. Apple may have good reasons for not doing what I need but I'd at least like to know why. It's just somewhat frustrating to see other computer companies being able to do things Apple doesn't seem to have any interest in. Maybe Apple only wants to sell profitable products and I suppose I can't fault them for wanting that.
    It's not worth Apple's time to sell Mac Mini. It's unfortunate, but it's true. 
  • Reply 78 of 238

cgWerks said:
    Mike Wuerthele said:
    It may vary per model, but mine is about the same volume as when I put my 2012 i7 mini under load -- and certainly quieter than the eGPU.
    You can control the fan in BIOS. Out of the box, my NUC Skull Canyon was too loud for my taste under load. I changed the settings in BIOS, and now it's running 12 VMs concurrently and is barely noticeable. However, once CPU utilization goes above 40%, it gets too loud for my taste, but it sits 2 feet from me. I'm able to keep CPU utilization right under 40% most of the time, so the fan noise is barely noticeable. Additionally, there is now a third-party fanless case that can be purchased for NUC Skull Canyon. It's pricey, but it does away with fan noise altogether. 

http://www.performance-pcs.com/akasa-galactico-fanless-case-for-intelr-skull-canyon-nuc.html
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 79 of 238
    mrhoopermrhooper Posts: 1member
    Apple's Mac Mini was poorly conceived and poorly executed. It was never meant to be a media center pc. It was meant as a cheap introduction to the Apple OS with a bring your own keyboard/monitor philosophy to appeal to Windows converts.
    Even later in the life cycle with many users use sing the hdmi on their main tv, no change was made to better gpu options. 
    The mac mini should be reborn with the capability to stream 4k content and designed to appeal to cord cutters who only sometimes need a "computer". Apple thinks that the appletv fills this purpose so it probably won't happen. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 80 of 238
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Soli said:
    k2kw said:
    If Apple was going to come out with an updated Mac Mini anytime in the next two years it would have announced it like the MacPro.
    The history of the Mac mini would indicate that to be an inaccurate assessment. Maybe they have, but I don't recall the Mac mini ever getting announced alongside the Mac Pro as standard marketing technique. I do recall AI putting out countless articles and the Internet as a whole claiming the Mac mini will be gone any day now, and yet over a decade later it still exists despite all the toe tags you and others keep placing on it. Eventually you'll probably be correct, but you can say that about the demise of Apple in general… just like many pundits still like to claim.
    I expect Apple to be around in 100 years and Mac computers to be around too, just not the Mini unfortunately.

Or they will update MM in the immediate future but I think Apple is deciding that they can't do everything and will focus on what sells the most and brings in the most Profit.
    edited May 2018