Microsoft Windows team wants iMessage on Windows devices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

iMessage isn’t even on iCloud.com. No way will Apple do anything to make it easier to switch to someone else’s hardware and iMessage is probably the stickiest thing in Apple’s ecosystem. 
    Switch to what? Most iPhone users are Windows users for PCs, a stat that I worked out by comparing the installed base of iPhones in use with the installed base of Macs.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 22 of 55
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member
    Soli said:
    tylersdad said:
    mjtomlin said:
    tylersdad said:
    "We’re going to the standards bodies, starting tomorrow, and we’re going to make FaceTime an open industry standard.” Steve Jobs, 2010
    You can't force a standard, you can only propose one. It can be rejected regardless of what Steve Jobs wanted.
    I can't find any evidence to suggest that FaceTime was ever proposed as a standard.
    What do you mean by proposed? It was never up as an open source solution, but Steve Jobs certainly said it would be. If you mean the former, then no. If you mean the latter, than I'm sure we can dig up the event where he said it.
    If you look at my original post (Reply #3), you'll see that I referenced Jobs' quote about making it a standard. Another commenter pointed out that a lawsuit may have been the death of FaceTime as a standard.
    cornchipjbdragon
  • Reply 23 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    We've come a long way from the days Microsoft purloined QuickTime and then made their version, Windows Media Player, deliberately refuse to work on Macs or cooperate with Apple to solve the issue. The bane of my life back them with over 80 web sites.
    tylersdadracerhomie3entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 55
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tylersdad said:
    Soli said:
    tylersdad said:
    mjtomlin said:
    tylersdad said:
    "We’re going to the standards bodies, starting tomorrow, and we’re going to make FaceTime an open industry standard.” Steve Jobs, 2010
    You can't force a standard, you can only propose one. It can be rejected regardless of what Steve Jobs wanted.
    I can't find any evidence to suggest that FaceTime was ever proposed as a standard.
    What do you mean by proposed? It was never up as an open source solution, but Steve Jobs certainly said it would be. If you mean the former, then no. If you mean the latter, than I'm sure we can dig up the event where he said it.
    If you look at my original post (Reply #3), you'll see that I referenced Jobs' quote about making it a standard. Another commenter pointed out that a lawsuit may have been the death of FaceTime as a standard.
    Understood.

I seem to recall hearing that everyone at Apple was surprised when Jobs made that quote; that he discussed it with no one and had no idea he was going to say that.
    tylersdadcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 55
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    Yeah well of course MS wants in on the action now. They haven’t historically been known for a willingnesss to play well with others...now that their own mobile platform cratered they’re eating some humble pie. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 55
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    asdasd said:

iMessage isn’t even on iCloud.com. No way will Apple do anything to make it easier to switch to someone else’s hardware and iMessage is probably the stickiest thing in Apple’s ecosystem. 
    Switch to what? Most iPhone users are Windows users for PCs, a stat that I worked out by comparing the installed base of iPhones in use with the installed base of Macs.
    Sure but if Apple ported iMessage to Windows (or allowed Microsoft to support it) the demand would be to do it for Android too which would be a disaster for iPhone IMO.
    cornchip
  • Reply 27 of 55
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    asdasd said:

Sure but if Apple ported iMessage to Windows (or allowed Microsoft to support it) the demand would be to do it for Android too which would be a disaster for iPhone IMO.
    If iMessage is the primary reason to stick with an iPhone, Apple has bigger problems. While I get your point, a single feature should not be make or break.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 55
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    asdasd said:

Subtract those iOS users who have no desktop
    or laptop computer.  There are plenty of those around the world.  
    racerhomie3cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 55
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member
    asdasd said:

OR.....

Some people--like me--won't switch to Android because I don't want to give up iMessage. If iMessage appeared on Android, it would take away my barrier to switching.
    larrya
  • Reply 30 of 55
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    asdasd said:

IMessage is definitely a moat in Buffet’s terms.

the only way I see this happening is if Apple charged $5 - 10 bucks a month in windows store or android play store per device.  May tie into iMessage for Business.

But I hope they don’t do this because software resources are spread too thin a Apple.   Apple needs to work on making Apple better.
    cornchip
  • Reply 31 of 55
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    FaceTime too.
    cornchip
  • Reply 32 of 55
    Man, hope this happens... it would be great to use iMessage to communicate with people on a PC with a full keyboard without owning a Mac!
  • Reply 33 of 55
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    asdasd said:

Big difference between integrating iMessage with Windows laptops / desktops, which are not competing with iOS,  vs Android, which is competing with iOS.  Even though the Mac user base has grown a lot, Windows still dominates the PC space and probably will for a long time.  Nothing wrong with Apple enabling iMessage integration with Windows PCs for those iOS users that will probably never switch to a Mac.
    asdasdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 55
    asdasd said:
    I see where you're coming from, but I agree with Canukstorm that it's different. Note that Apple has had many apps for Windows while Android has existed without offering those same apps to Android. Currently I'd say that iCloud for Windows is the biggest one. Is there a demand for "iCloud for Android" to exist, too?
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 55
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Soli said:
    asdasd said:
    I see where you're coming from, but I agree with Canukstorm that it's different. Note that Apple has had many apps for Windows while Android has existed without offering those same apps to Android. Currently I'd say that iCloud for Windows is the biggest one. Is there a demand for "iCloud for Android" to exist, too?
    Yes, and remember the port of iTunes to Windows put a rocket under the sales of the iPod. Apple knows that a lot of people who are iOS use windows users on desktop and even Mac home users may have to use it at work. Therefore a desktop iMessage makes sense. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 55
    anheloanhelo Posts: 7member
    Apple could open iMessage to Windows and Android and take over messaging, thereby making SMS/MMS irrelevant (at least in the US).  I would pay a monthly fee for iMessage service on my Android and have it sync with my iPhone and Windows Desktop.  

One could only dream... 

• Reply 37 of 55
    asdasd said:
    Soli said:
    asdasd said:
    Yes, and remember the port of iTunes to Windows put a rocket under the sales of the iPod. Apple knows that a lot of people who are iOS use windows users on desktop and even Mac home users may have to use it at work. Therefore a desktop iMessage makes sense. 
    Not your point, but I shouldn't have said that iCloud for Windows is the biggest one when iTunes for Windows exists. 🤦‍♂️
    watto_cobraasdasd
  • Reply 38 of 55
    Microsoft knows they are left behind. The era of MSN messenger are over and even the purchase of Skype can't keep them where they want to be. Internet access moved from desktops to mobile and Microsoft had no relevant offering.

It won't happen. They just want to seem like the cool side for being willing to work together. While (in my opinion at least) iMessage on windows would just compromise its security and then we didn't even talk about different views of privacy, advertising... between the 2 company.

frantisekcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 55
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    I clearly don’t know for certain, but at this point I think Apple would prefer to keep the infuriating green bubbles popping up in people’s messages app. It’s an incredible source of peer pressure.  There’s no way Apple doesn’t realize this. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 55
    cornchip said:
    I clearly don’t know for certain, but at this point I think Apple would prefer to keep the infuriating green bubbles popping up in people’s messages app. It’s an incredible source of peer pressure.  There’s no way Apple doesn’t realize this. 
    Segue: This is an incredibly minor request, but I wish the Messages was blue. Perhaps they want to keep it green like the Phone icon to indicate communication and there's already a plethora of blue icons, but it always seemed odd to me to keep it green once iMessage launched.
    watto_cobra