Video: Changes to the MacBook Pro we want Apple to make

Comments

• Reply 21 of 162
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    My Dream list:

1. Better keyboard (one can dream of mechanical keyboard :D).
    2. No bottom air vent cutouts (vacuum cleaner MacBook Pros suck dust at a much higher rate than previous generation and cannot be used on a lap because it block the vent and sucks in dust from clothing like crazy).
    3. No touch bar please.
    4. 64 GB of RAM (one can dream of 128GB).
    5. Faster CPU, but only if power consumption, heat and noise are not an issue. (One can dream of powerful passively cooled MacBook Pro, or at least MacBook Pro that only starts the fans when absolutely needed).
    6. 8 TB SSD option.

• Reply 22 of 162
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Prepare to be disappointed on the RAM barrier. Coffee Lake still does not support LPDDR4 (ffs Intel), and 10nm for Cannon Lake is delayed till 2019 at least. 

Taking the heat for Intels flubs must be part of why Apple wants to switch to home grown ARM, having gone to LPDDR4 years ago on their own. 
    mike eggleston
  • Reply 23 of 162
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    macmojo said:
    danvm said:
    chasm said:
    Max probably knows this, but for some reason it got left out of this video/article:

1. The 2017 MBP introduced a modified version of the butterfly keyboard that significantly lowers the risk of damage/service need (according to Mike Wuerthele's article focused on the 2016 MBP), so a 2018 model will probably improve on that further based on further understanding of where the 2016 one caused issues. For people who hate low-travel keys, you are not likely to notice much if any change. Apple is not giving up on the butterfly design because it is better in most ways, so get real about this.

A butterfly design that have changed two times since 2015 (could it change again in 2018?), that has quality issues and an awful tactile feedback is no something I'll consider better in most ways, as you said. 
    I have both a 2012 15” MBPr (handed down to the kids) and a 2017 model (the top one with the Radeon 560pro) so I’m in a direct position to compare them.

I greatly prefer the 2017 model’s keyboard, it’s crisper and just feels sharper. The 2012 model, while I loved it, feels mushy and soft now by comparison.

The Touchbar is far more useful to me than the old function keys ever were. I use it in everything from the Finder to XCode to VMWare Fusion. While your mileage may vary, I much prefer it to the old keys. And the big touch pad is awesome, a great improvement over an already good touchpad.

the improvements I’d like to see is Apple kicking Intel to the kerb and using its own CPU design so that it doesn’t suffer intel’s incompetence any longer. Apple’s A series have supported LPDDR4 since the A8!

I’d also like to see them add haptic feedback to the TouchBar to make it more naturally responsive.

And maybe add Pencil support since the touchpad should be big enough to handle it spaciouly. 

Overall, I love the new model, but I understand that others don’t. The only negative to me is the reduced battery size. But that’s the trade off that comes with reducing the size and weight, which I love since I carry it around a lot.

Apple management have an equation they use, if 80% love a product, 10% neutral and the remaining 10% hate, then they’ll go with the 80. All their comments since the release of the new MBPs in 2016 indicates that’s the case. No matter how loud and noisy the hate may get. So there’s no turning back.
    I had a MBA 2012, and I had work with different Thinkpad models in my customers.  And while the MBA didn't had the best keyboard, the Thinkpad is much better than my MBP 2017.  The same can be said of the SurfaceBook keyboard.  
  • Reply 24 of 162
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    Please Apple, have some “courage” to admit your mistakes. 
    cgWerksFuture-Proof
  • Reply 25 of 162
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Sigh...   More of the same....

When is Apple going to produce a laptop that can compete with a Thinkpad?

(Yeh, I know...  That's trolling.   I apologize.   In actuality though, it's not that one is better than the other.  They are both good in their own right -- just as apples and oranges are.  But, while both are high end quality, the Thinkpad design meets my needs better than that of the MBP.)
  • Reply 26 of 162
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    I have a feeling they’ll introduce Apple’s Ax processor laptop. 

My wishlist is to simply put back USB A, memory card slot, and HDMA.

All three are valid present day features, and I have not seen a single USB C conference screen in the wild. I use my laptop for demos at a diverse business setups. 
    cgWerksGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 27 of 162
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Things I really want to see:

1.  Make it thicker!!!!!  The thin design machine should be kept, but rename it the MacBook Executive, and sell it to people who like thin flashy computers to show off.  Pro means real work, and the thin design is too much of a compromise.

2.  Stop soldering the f*****g RAM.  Real DDR4 DIMMS need to go in.  4 slots, please (see #1).  And it's 2018, 16GB RAM is NOT ACCEPTABLE.  32 isn't enough, I want 64, 128 would be better.

3.  Stop soldering the f*****g storage.  SSD primary storage is great, but make it a removable and upgradeable card.  And give me room inside to install a spinny-platter drive, because I NEED lots of space, and not all of that space needs to be fast.  I'm currently stuck in 2012, because you can't put 4TB of disk in a new MacBook "Pro".

4.  Hot swappable battery!  Ideally, put in a capacitor that will keep the computer going for a few minutes while I swap the battery out.  I can live with plugging it in to do swaps, but doing it without plugging in would be even better.  Being able to go for a few days without access to power would be amazing, and the way to do that is a battery I can change out with a charged spare or 3.  Until the 2009, I always had a few batteries and an external charger for my portables, it was great.  The permanent battery is now and has always been a horrible idea.

5.  I know Apple doesn't think I need it, but it would be nice to get an internal optical drive.  Blu-ray, please.

6.  And yes, bring back the old keyboard.  It was MUCH better.  The key travel on the new one is awful, but the worst thing is the noise.  It's a laptop, it gets used around other people, the keyboard NEEDS to be quiet.  Those old IBM Model M keyboards are only good for bashing in the skulls of their users, keyboards should be quiet, not clicky.

Apple, your best laptop design EVER was the PowerBook G3 Wallstreet.  Take some cues from that, things like battery/device bays that ejected with a lever were absolutely brilliant, the curved palm rests were more comfortable than anything since, and machined aluminum is pretty, but plastic is actually a great material, and as a bonus you can't use it as a heat sink that dumps all the heat into my lap, you've got to use proper cooling. 
    edited May 2018 GeorgeBMacjasenj1
  • Reply 28 of 162
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    danvm said:
    A butterfly design that have changed two times since 2015 (could it change again in 2018?), that has quality issues and an awful tactile feedback is no something I'll consider better in most ways, as you said. 
    Yeah, that viewpoint seems to be coming from the iOS 'convergence' people, who think the closer it can get to a virtual keyboard, the better. I'm not buying that argument, though. While tastes might vary a bit, I think there could be constructed, and optimal keyboard. Then we get into design trade-offs (i.e.: what we're willing to give up from the optimal for the overall design). I think even modern Macs and 2015 MBPs have already moved beyond the optimal keyboard, but for acceptable tradeoffs. This was a step to far, IMO.

"Edit 4K video..." on a laptop. I love a comment like that, sprouting like a weed in every techie blog site with posers and dilettants who act like professional video editors because they do unpacking videos in Final Cut Pro. 4K is ***meaningless*** on small screens. You are not going to amaze yourself as you edit anything on a 13 or 15 inch screen. It is, ultimately, a technology that demands to be projected on very, very large screens, and I don't mean 21- or 27-inch monitors. A professional editor is *not* going to edit trusting a laptop screen for anything. And this is not a selling point at all because **it is meaningless.**
    Yeah, it's the whole distortion of 'professional' thing again. I think that because devices now shoot in 4K, people will edit it. But, that's quite different from a professional video editor.

macmojo said:
    Overall, I love the new model, but I understand that others don’t. The only negative to me is the reduced battery size. But that’s the trade off that comes with reducing the size and weight, which I love since I carry it around a lot.

Apple management have an equation they use, if 80% love a product, 10% neutral and the remaining 10% hate, then they’ll go with the 80. All their comments since the release of the new MBPs in 2016 indicates that’s the case. No matter how loud and noisy the hate may get. So there’s no turning back.
    I get that, so maybe this needs to be split into two lines/models? The question I'd ask... are *who are* the love crowd vs the hate crowd. It might well be that there should be two different models here, instead of designing the entire MBP lineup in the new way.

I always hear people talking about "travel" on the keys, but never any specifics on what the "travel" difference actually is in terms of a measurement. I truly doubt the actual amount of "travel" difference between the 2015 and 2016/17 designs amounts to much of anything. I think it's really the reduction of the key wobbling that makes people think there's a difference, but that isn't really "travel" at all. 

I also think it's kind of funny that rumor sites that constantly complain about Apple needing more "pro" hardware or accessories wouldn't like the Touch Bar. Use of keyboard and F keys for shortcuts is typically considered a very "pro" type of use, and the Touch Bar just gives the user a lot more possibilities in that area.
    I think it is travel, too... as I don't think anyone would complain about reduction of key wobble. I agree that previous gen models or my MBA have become a bit to 'mushy' for my liking. I think the Apple laptop keyboards were the best back in the mid-2000s. They seemed to get more 'mushy' at some point after that.

As for the Touch Bar, the problem (from a pro standpoint, there are other issues) is having to look down at an ever changing thing. A function key is always in the exact same spot, and does the exact same thing in a particular app. You don't have to look down to hit it. Especially problematic, though, is the 'esc' key, which is heavily used in a lot of pro apps.
  • Reply 29 of 162
    1. 4K OLED HDR Display (Minimum 4K)
    2. 32GB RAM
    3. Pro grade SSD / Flash Hard Drive with min. 1 TB capacity.
    4. 4K Facetime Camera.. 

This config would make me buy it. If not, i will not be interested really. 
  • Reply 30 of 162

"Edit 4K video..." on a laptop. I love a comment like that, sprouting like a weed in every techie blog site with posers and dilettants who act like professional video editors because they do unpacking videos in Final Cut Pro. 4K is ***meaningless*** on small screens. You are not going to amaze yourself as you edit anything on a 13 or 15 inch screen. It is, ultimately, a technology that demands to be projected on very, very large screens, and I don't mean 21- or 27-inch monitors. A professional editor is *not* going to edit trusting a laptop screen for anything. And this is not a selling point at all because **it is meaningless.**
    If you Think about humanity and not only yourself, know that We "must" demand the best, always. This is very important.

Lazy people should not be our life quality "setters."  No way!

Listen, 
    We use iPhone X. That screen is capable of showing almost 2k. When we look at 15" display on amacbook pro, think of it like iphone X's stacked next to each other, now, how many pixels you got? Way more than 4K, right? So why not demand it? And i am amazed with the quality of iPhone X display, why not ask for more?

16K is imax resolution. Go ahead and watch it. We have that resolution already. But why don't we have an imac 16K. Because of people who do not demand the best and speak about what we can and can not ask for? That is why we have a low standardt not beceuse we are incapable. Think military grade. That may help you understand technology. 

Why don't we have Hasselblad 60 megapixel camera quality on our phones? Because of people who think small, ask small, live small.

Think about this. 
  • Reply 31 of 162
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    darkvader said:
    MacBook Executive, and sell it to people who like thin flashy computers to show off.
    Why not MacBook Edition and make it out of rose gold?
    2.  Stop soldering the f*****g RAM.
    3.  Stop soldering the f*****g storage.
    Not happening. They don’t care about us.
    4 slots
    You’re kidding, right? What percentage of PC laptops have four DIMM slots?
    4.  Hot swappable battery!
    Not really necessary. What we need is an actual revolution in battery tech, but that goes for the whole industry. An all day (meaning 24 hour) battery would be enough, but I’ve seen new technologies claiming month batteries for laptop power usage.
    5.  I know Apple doesn't think I need it, but it would be nice to get an internal optical drive.  Blu-ray, please.
    Go buy a Lenovo. Are you kidding? I may be 100% against Apple’s retarded “the future is nothing but streaming” delusion, but I’m also 100% against optical discs. Who even uses them anymore?
    6.  And yes, bring back the old keyboard.
    Or improve upon it, sure. I’m no fan of the “butterfly.” Swapping the whole thing for a touchscreen would be preferable in my eyes.
    Apple, your best laptop design EVER was the PowerBook G3 Wallstreet.
    I remember those. You realize Apple isn’t LEGO, right?
    cgWerks
  • Reply 32 of 162
    macikemacike Posts: 70member
    Many MacBook Pro -Users would love to see the DVD/CD drives replaced. We used/burned DVD/CD's for years,and many of our Clients still request them. Don't try to speak for us,because we Stream,subscribe to Apple Music,subscribe to Netflix,and some of us listen to FM/AM along with our Sirius XM subscriptions!  Don't try to paint us as if we're stuck in a Time warp!  Please replace the MagSafe connector,don't do away with the headphone jack,provide Ethernet,and give us USB Ports along with USB-C ports. I don't need my Portable to be Blade-thin,more RAM capacity would be great,and hopefully offer a 17" model for those who want/need a Workstation. The competition offers all of these features,except MagSafe connections.
  • Reply 33 of 162
    Way back when Steve Jobs was forced into dropping Moto CPU in favor of Intel CPU’s.
    he also stated he was looking to switch over to AMD CPU’s and Apple has switch GPU to AMD. Even intel has reached out to AMD to help them make APU’s for those who do not know APU = joint CPU+GPU on one chip. If I ran Apple I would go with AMD Ryzen 7 1800x or their Theardripper or Zen CPU’s + 2 TB ssd’s, + min 16 gig or 32 gig’s + internal blue ray player + DVD drive people love disk’s for vidéo & Stills. AMD has 8 cores 16 theards and better cores & theards and drops the prices, More then $1,000.00. My 2 cents worth. Oh fan boys AMD has been around as long as Intel if not longer, they are still making chips and graphic cards and servers
    Is that a joke? Buy an external optical drive.
  • Reply 34 of 162
    macike said:
    Many MacBook Pro -Users would love to see the DVD/CD drives replaced. We used/burned DVD/CD's for years,and many of our Clients still request them. Don't try to speak for us,because we Stream,subscribe to Apple Music,subscribe to Netflix,and some of us listen to FM/AM along with our Sirius XM subscriptions!  Don't try to paint us as if we're stuck in a Time warp!  Please replace the MagSafe connector,don't do away with the headphone jack,provide Ethernet,and give us USB Ports along with USB-C ports. I don't need my Portable to be Blade-thin,more RAM capacity would be great,and hopefully offer a 17" model for those who want/need a Workstation. The competition offers all of these features,except MagSafe connections.
    No interest in going back to plain old USB. I have a 2013 MBP and all of my external devices with the exception of a Blu-Ray drive for data archiving are either USB-C or Thunderbolt. I still have a HDMI external monitor but my next one will be Thunderbolt.

Is it really so hard to buy a different cable? USB-A to USB-C or USB-B to USB-C is cheap. No dongle required. Just replace the cable.

When I buy my next MBP (2018 or 2019) it will be a smooth transition to a 100% USB-C/Thunderbolt environment.

I agree with the MagSafe but I'd prefer to keep USB-C for charging. Headphone jack ok!

fastasleep
  • Reply 35 of 162
    Go buy a Lenovo. Are you kidding? I may be 100% against Apple’s retarded “the future is nothing but streaming” delusion, but I’m also 100% against optical discs. Who even uses them anymore?
    I use Blu-Ray/M-Dsic drives with 50GB or 100GB disks for long term for data archiving.
  • Reply 36 of 162
    13" MacBook Pro

Edge-to-Edge display
    4-core CPU
    32GB RAM
    Backlit Keyboard
    MagSafe/USB-C for power
    USB-C/Thunderbolt-3 (only) *All other ports are redundant legacy junk. Time to move on to one port rules them all.
    TouchID/FaceID
    T-2 Chip with secure boot

*A desktop battery mode for those of use who use a laptop as a desktop the majority of the time or a user replaceable battery. Maybe the ability to 50% charge the battery and run completely on AC power. Apple has replaced my battery three times under warranty because I use it as a desktop.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 37 of 162
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    cgWerks said:
    re: #3 - So, the pros aren't the typical MacBook Pro users? Yes, that might be the actual problem. Instead of being for pros, the MacBook Pro has become the MacBook+. The MacBook Pro shouldn't be aimed at the average iOS user... that's what the MacBook and MacBook Air (if they'd update it) are for.
    I realize “Pro” is in the name, but actual creative professionals (aka those who make their primary living with that device) are pretty clearly not the majority of people buying the MBP, as the sales volume (best-selling Mac model) would suggest. As you say, the MBP is really the”MacBook Plus” for most buyers. And yes, lots of people buy the MBP even though it’s far more powerful than their needs would suggest.

It’s kind of like how people will choose “best” most of the time when offered a thing in “good, better, best” sizes, or maybe they’re trying to future-proof their purchase, I couldn’t say.
    edited May 2018 cgWerks
  • Reply 38 of 162

I have a feeling they’ll introduce Apple’s Ax processor laptop. 

My wishlist is to simply put back USB A, memory card slot, and HDMA.

All three are valid present day features, and I have not seen a single USB C conference screen in the wild. I use my laptop for demos at a diverse business setups. 
    When Apple went USB on the iMac there were no USB printers to be found. Then as a result an explosion of USB devices came out, not the other way around. Buy  different cable or a dongle to help the work move forward!

USB-C/Thunderbolt. One port to rule them all.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 39 of 162
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I agree with 6-core CPU in the 15", improved keyboard, out with Touch Bar and 32GB RAM.

I do think that Face ID is a better login method for computers than phones, since you always look at the screen on a computer, but not always on a phone. So it would be a good fit for the form factor.

HDR has the same feel as 3D TVs from a few years ago to me. That is, something companies are pushing despite consumers not really wanting it.

Some other things that would be good in the 15":
    - variable/high  refresh rate screen (like the iPad Pro)
    - T2 security chip (like the iMac Pro)
    - 4K movie streaming capability (like Apple TV)
    - Mobile Vega graphics 
    - 1080p webcam
    - Put 1 HDMI port (for corporate projectors) and 1 USB-A port (for simple practicality) back in
    Future-Proof
  • Reply 40 of 162
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    cgWerks said:
    I'd add to the list, going back to the previous size of trackpad. The new one seems in the way. If I want one that big, I'll just use my Magic Trackpad 2 anyway.
    Preferences, I guess. I really like the larger trackpad. It makes small adjustments easier. With a smaller trackpad, a move of a couple millimetres on the pad translates to a wide swing on an on-screen control.

The Magic Trackpad wouldn't be a good alternative for me because I don't want yet another piece of kit to haul around.
    cgWerks