Chicago Bears team iPad stolen, MacBook pilfered from airport security and more news in Ap...

Posted:
in General Discussion
An NFL linebacker has his iPad with the team playbook stolen, a man accused of breaking into a school to steal iPads gets permission to attend his friend's "stag do," and more from the Apple-centric crime ledger.

Chicago Bears iPad case

The latest in an occasional AppleInsider feature, looking at the latest news in Apple-related crime.

NFL rookie's team-issued iPad stolen

A recently drafted NFL player had his car broken into this week, and among the items stolen was a team-issued iPad that included the team's playbook. The Chicago Tribune reported that Roquan Smith, a linebacker who last month was drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears, had had numerous valuable items stolen, including sports memorabilia, watches and and four pairs of headphones.

The iPad was both password-protected and remotely wiped, and "there was no compromise of Bears (information)," a team spokesperson told the newspaper. Some of the stolen items -- though not the iPad -- were later recovered.

MacBook stolen from airport

The MacBook belonging to a Dutch student was stolen from an airport security station at London City airport -- and the owner is complaining that airport personnel didn't do enough to stop the thieves. According to The Guardian, security at the airport didn't look at CCTV footage until it was too late, and now, the woman has received ransom demands from the thief.

Man accused of stealing 37 iPads from a school allowed to attend "stag do"

A man in Northern Ireland who had been accused last year of breaking into an elementary school and stealing more than 30 iPads has been allowed by a court to attend a friend's bachelor party. According to the newspaper The Impartial Reporter, 27-year-old Dylan Stephen Douglas James Phair had sought relaxation of his bail conditions in order to attend the bachelor gathering, referred to as a "stag do," in Galway, which is about 200 km away in the Republic of Ireland.

Phair had been charged for the break-in and thefts in November 2017; he was described by his own barrister in court as "not particularly clued in."

Man stole Apple Watch from Kohl's, returned empty box

Police are looking for a man who they say executed the theft of an Apple Watch from a Kohl's store in Kentucky by buying the Watch and then returning its empty box. According to the Daily Camera, the man bought an Apple Watch from Kohl's with cash and later returned it. When the Watch was later sold to another customer that person discovered the box was empty.

The man was caught on in-score security cameras during both parts of the scheme.

iPhone sale leads to capture of man who passed counterfeit money

An Ohio man was arrested after he was caught using bogus money to buy an iPhone from someone via an e-commerce app. WFMJ reported that the 33-year-old man was caught after he bought the iPhone for $300 and the other party in the transaction realized the money was fake.

A search of the man's apartment turned up multiple iPhones as well as $12,000 in "money" that was stamped with the phrase "ONLY MOTION PICTURE PURPOSES," while an additional $8,000 was found in his car. He was charged with theft, possessing criminal tools, receiving stolen property, and criminal simulation; when police arrested him he reportedly told them "man you got me, I f***** up."

Man arrested in $12,000 warehouse theft

An Illinois man has been arrested for stealing more than $12,000 worth of Apple products, including iPhones, watches and computers, from a CDW warehouse in the Chicago suburbs. According to the Chicago Tribune, CDW discovered the items were missing and actually requested a subpoena of Apple's product registration records, which led them to the perpetrator.

The alleged thief was a former employee of CDW, who they say registered three stolen iPhones. The man's lawyer told the newspaper that he denies stealing anything.

Pair arrested in "brazen" iPhone thefts

A man and woman have been arrested for carrying out a series of smash-and-grab thefts at Florida Sprint stores. According to Local 10 the pair operated by entering stores, forcibly ripping the devices from their anti-theft cords, and then fleeing quickly once alarms sounded.

Multiple thefts by the pair were caught on store security cameras.

Man takes iPhone X from sports bar

In other Central Florida iPhone theft news, police are looking for a man who was caught on surveillance video stealing an iPhone X from the hostess counter at a local restaurant. According, once again, to Local 10, the man who was picking up a takeout order from Duffy's Sports Grill in Plantation, Fla., when he grabbed the phone as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Despite the ability to lock and wipe them, iOS devices continue to be stolen.
    So, what happens to these devices?   Are they being stripped for parts?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    brianlflbrianlfl Posts: 9member
    Why is it always Flori-DUH?!  
    baconstangcornchip
  • Reply 3 of 14
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Well, since these products are mostly paperweights ,I am happy .
    Plus ,in the Sprint case ,I do not think they can activate the phones.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    According to the linked article from the story, the Apple Watch theft actually took place in Louisville, Colorado (not Louisville, Kentucky).
  • Reply 5 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Being able to remotely wipe the stolen team iPad was far more valuable than the cost of the ripped off hardware.

I have mixed feelings about these types are articles. Yeah, there are a lot of lowlife scumbags out there and if there is any way to rip something off there are always people who will exploit the various methods of theft and deceit. But the vast majority of people are not scumbags and aren't trying to rip anyone off even when the opportunities to do so are so very easy to exploit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    There are multiple posts daily on the Apple discussion forums from people asking how to get around activation lock. They come up with the darnedest stories as to why they have legitimate reasons. Of course they never ever respond when told they cannot get around the security. Just this morning there was a post from someone who claimed they forgot their Apple ID, their password, AND their email address and wanted help to get around activation lock. It’s becoming a comedy act.
    electrosoftwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Well , the Internet and YouTube are full of techie wannabe ne’er-do-wells who claim iOS devices are a piece of cake to crack and unlock with just a few key clicks. I guess not.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    lkrupp said:
    There are multiple posts daily on the Apple discussion forums from people asking how to get around activation lock. They come up with the darnedest stories as to why they have legitimate reasons. Of course they never ever respond when told they cannot get around the security. Just this morning there was a post from someone who claimed they forgot their Apple ID, their password, AND their email address and wanted help to get around activation lock. It’s becoming a comedy act.
    We get about three requests a day here on the forums, and about two people a week posting links for alleged solutions.
    edited May 2018 electrosoftwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    brianlfl said:
    Why is it always Flori-DUH?!  
    Just for the record it isn't.  We've lived in Florida nearly 30 years and never had anything stolen, ever.  I left an iPad in a restaurant in Tampa Airport (Fridays) and the waitress handed it to the manager and we able to pick it up as one of many close calls where we had very pleasant experiences that include cameras, wallets and credit cards all being turned in and returned.  Then again,  I lived many years in various parts of the UK before that and was pick pocketed a few times and I lost count of home break-ins and had a car stolen.  Paris was a series of theft experiences too.  So it isn't always Florida dude.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 10 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I have always run Orbicule Under Cover on all our Macs.  Never needed it yet thankfully.  Anyone else use it?
    http://orbicule.com/undercover/mac/
    tallest skil
  • Reply 11 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    MacPro said:
    I have always run Orbicule Under Cover on all our Macs.  Never needed it yet thankfully.  Anyone else use it?
    http://orbicule.com/undercover/mac/
    Hey, I remember that. I had it for my MacBook Pro when I was traveling. I can’t remember any of my credentials anymore, but that’s okay because the MacBook Pro had the GPU manufacturing defect outside of Apple’s warranty, so they won’t touch it and it’s a brick. As a concept, I really liked the software.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    lkrupp said:
    That may be more common than you think.   I have friends who, when asked for an ID or password just give it one that nobody will ever guess -- but a week later they don't know what it is either.

For one of them, I bought her a notebook where she writes down her IDs, passwords, security questions, etc...   It's solved a lot of problem.   But she still can't change her Apple ID because its tied to a now non-existent email address and she forgot her security questions.

Not everybody is as smart and perfect as you and I!   :)
    electrosoft
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Can’t iphones be restored to new? Or jail broken if they are stolen?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Can’t iphones be restored to new? Or jail broken if they are stolen?
    Not if they are locked.