Rumor: 'iPhone SE 2' to debut in September with TrueDepth camera

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
According to the latest industry scuttlebutt out of China, production of a refreshed iPhone SE smartphone has not yet started, suggesting Apple plans to debut the device alongside flagship models in September.

iPhone SE 2 Render
"iPhone SE 2" render by Olixar. | Source: Mobile Fun

Citing a Chinese accessory manufacturer that exhibited wares at the Japan IT Week Spring Mobile Solutions Expo, Mac Otakara reports Apple's iPhone SE successor is unlikely to make an appearance in the second quarter of 2018. Previous predictions pegged a due date sometime this spring, mirroring the original iPhone SE's launch in March of 2016.

Apple is currently evaluating "several" models of the next-generation device, but has yet to decide on a final design, the source said. At least one iteration sports a 4-inch form factor identical to existing SE hardware, while another boasts a massive 6-inch screen.

The company will ultimately pick one model for public release. Whether the prototyping process is in early engineering validation test (EVT) phases or more mature design validation test (DVT) stages is unknown.

Echoing rumors aired earlier this week, an unnamed glass manufacturer claims Apple is considering three types of prototype glass to incorporate into the upcoming handset. More importantly, specifications call for a full-face design with TrueDepth "notch" and no cutout for a Touch ID home button, suggesting "iPhone SE 2" will make the switch to Face ID biometric authentication. Why the glass requires a physical notch cutout instead of an ink mask was left unexplained.

On Thursday, accessory manufacturer Olixar produced a render of the forthcoming phone based on what is believed to be schematics data leaked from Apple's supply chain. As with most "leaks" from third-party manufacturers, the information should be taken with a hefty grain of salt. Accessory makers bet on early -- often incorrect -- data in attempts to gain a leg up on competition.

Until now, a majority of rumors point to a successor model featuring a largely unchanged aesthetic, save for a glass back to facilitate wireless charging.

While Apple is perhaps considering a transition to a larger display and the inclusion of cutting-edge TrueDepth technology, the final product will likely be a simple specification upgrade to keep pricing low and prevent product cannibalization.

Today's report runs counter to regulatory filings lodged with the Eurasian Economic Commission in April. The documents, which typically foreshadow a near-future hardware release, gave Apple the green light to sell a heretofore unknown iPhone bearing 11 unique model numbers in countries including Belarus, Kazakhstan and Russia.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Please let it be true! I would love an iPhone with small factor!
    B3BADASScornchipGeorgeBMacaylkfreethinkingwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 29
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    So, to sum up.
    No clue of what or when.

bonobobNameo_doozydozenJaiOh81cornchipaylkmuthuk_vanalingammattinoz[Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 29
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    “Apple is currently evaluating "several" models of the next-generation device, but has yet to decide on a final design, the source said. At least one iteration sports a 4-inch form factor identical to existing SE hardware, while another boasts a massive 6-inch screen.“ LOL rumours that include their own CYA disclaimers. There’s literally no way this rumour could be wrong with that wishy-washy waffling.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 29
    So, to sum up.
    No clue of what or when.

LOL not now for sure.

The entire Apple staff is on a 6 month sabbatical.
    The interns released the cut down iPad.
    Nothing else has been released.

Time for AI to advocate using PCs for Macs!
    edited May 2018 cornchipentropys
  • Reply 5 of 29
    cecil444cecil444 Posts: 40member
    Ugh. Why are there so many iPhone size queens out there?! Newsflash: A 6” screen is not an SE; it’s a completely different phone. The iPhone SE is by definition a compact form factor with ~4” screen. The small size at a cheaper price point is the market for the SE; it is the purpose it exists! Sorry but there is not going to be a 6” SE; that’s why the 8, 8 Plus, and X exist. These are the larger, higher demand, more profitable models. Why would Apple abandon their popular compact phone segment AND cannibalize their more profitable models by introducing some cheap, jumbo-sized SE?! Sorry but that’s just not gonna happen. 
    baconstangwozwoznetmagechasm
  • Reply 6 of 29
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 230member
    potatoman said:
    I wonder if the 6.1" iPhone IS the iPhone SE 2, and then the budget iPhone will now be the older style with the home button? Drop the price as per any yearly update, and cut the capacity to drop it further 🤔

iPhone 7
    - 32GB for $399, or 128GB for $499

iPhone 7 Plus
    - 32GB for $499, or 128GB for $599

iPhone 8
    - 32GB for $549, or 128GB for $649

iPhone 8 Plus
    - 32GB for $649, or 128GB for $749

iPhone X (SE)
    - 6.1" LCD
    - 32GB for $749, or 128GB for $849
    - Full screen and Truedepth Camera
    - A11, Single rear lens, No force touch

iPhone X (series 2)
    - 5.8" OLED
    - 64GB for $899, or 256GB for $1,049
    - A12, Camera improvements, selling point is cheaper price

iPhone X Plus (series 2)
    - 6.5" OLED
    - 64GB for $999, or 256GB for $1,149
    - A12, Camera improvements, largest ever screen. Landscape and multitasking (similar to iPad) exclusives
    Some wierd carrier contract pricing happening in Canada where every storage capacity of the 7 Plus has been put on sale and the 128gb is the same cost as the 32gb. From my experience, when this happens, it means a device is going EOL In the near future. Also, The iPhone 7 is cheaper than the 6s on contract. Could be nothing but feels like the 7 series could be on the way out?

This is just me thinking out loud but with WWDC around the corner could be a line-up shuffle?
    canukstormaylkmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 29
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    cecil444 said:
    Ugh. Why are there so many iPhone size queens out there?! Newsflash: A 6” screen is not an SE; it’s a completely different phone. The iPhone SE is by definition a compact form factor with ~4” screen. 
    Agreed. At the point the article started talking about a 6 inch SE, I realised it was just gibberish, and probably put out by someone in the channel trying to get people to still buy the old SE, rather than wait for the new model to appear. I think we will see the new SE announced by the end of June.
    cecil444baconstangnetrox
  • Reply 8 of 29
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 230member
    Further to my previous post. iPhone 6s Plus is also no longer available from major Canadian carriers. This is a really new change. 
    aylkmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    clarker99 said:
    potatoman said:
    I wonder if the 6.1" iPhone IS the iPhone SE 2, and then the budget iPhone will now be the older style with the home button? Drop the price as per any yearly update, and cut the capacity to drop it further 🤔

iPhone 7

iPhone 7 Plus

iPhone 8

iPhone 8 Plus

iPhone X (SE)
    - 6.1" LCD

iPhone X (series 2)
    - 5.8" OLED

iPhone X Plus (series 2)
    - 6.5" OLED
    - A12, Camera improvements, largest ever screen. Landscape and multitasking (similar to iPad) exclusives
    Some wierd carrier contract pricing happening in Canada where every storage capacity of the 7 Plus has been put on sale and the 128gb is the same cost as the 32gb. From my experience, when this happens, it means a device is going EOL In the near future. Also, The iPhone 7 is cheaper than the 6s on contract. Could be nothing but feels like the 7 series could be on the way out?

This is just me thinking out loud but with WWDC around the corner could be a line-up shuffle?
    It could be lots of things but perhaps it is Apple realizing that Iphone X is too expensive for the north American market.  From what i understand X is only truly successeful in China.  That is why Apple can say it outsold the other models in the last quarter.  
  • Reply 10 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    All i know is that my iPhone 4 is on its last leg.   As such it needs a small form factor replacement with modern features.  Im really hoping for a June launch.     For me the SE is all about size, i just dont need half a brick n my pocket.  
    baconstangcecil444
  • Reply 11 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    New iPhone being release in the future. Display will be between 4-6”. Device will have Touch ID or FaceID. Will cost between $0 and $1M. Definitely won’t ship in iridescent blue. I’ll sleep tonight knowing all of this.
    edited May 2018 baconstangcecil444muthuk_vanalingam[Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    Since *everyone* is guessing, below is my best guess. No attempts at size, specs or price. Apple clearly knows best how to economize at scale; they could consolidate to the A10, A11 and A12 processors across the entire product line. More aggressively move the current 8 near the 6s pricing tier, get rid of 6s and 7, etc. look at the current iPhone line... too much and my assumption is, it was only temporary.

iPhone SE (2nd generation, sometime soon)
    - 4” LCD

iPhone 7, 7 Plus (or 8/8 Plus in the current 6s tier)
    - 4.7” & 5.5” LCD

iPhone {something}, {something} Plus (follow up to the iPhone 8 tier, with newer tech at a similar price point, allowing them to rationalize the iPhone product line a bit)
    - 4.7”/4.8” & 6.1" LCD (with the 4.8 being about the size of the SE)

iPhone X, X Plus (2nd generation)
    - 5.8" & 6.5” OLED
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 29
    cecil444cecil444 Posts: 40member
    potatoman said:

Regardless of the name, this cheaper 6.1” iPhone sounds like it is happening. The purpose of the SE is not the form factor. It means “special edition”. At the time of its original release it was a special edition because it didn’t fit in their current naming scheme, it was a random update to the 5S design. There is no rule book saying any “special edition” iPhone will be 4”. This article even says they are considering between a 4” and 6” size. You tell me this rumoured 6” iPhone doesnt sound like it could be some kind of special edition to the X?

Just an interesting thought is all, chances are I am wrong. But we’ve heard a lot about the SE 2 and the random cheaper 6.1” iPhone that will be similar to the X. Wouldn’t it be such a twist if they were infact the same phone?

As for having a low end phone, release a 32GB iPhone 7 with the $100 price drop it’ll get in September and you pretty much hit the current SE price point. 
    There may very well be a 6” iPhone in the works, but I HIGHLY doubt such a product would carry the SE moniker; and it’s not about the “special edition” name. The primary purpose of the SE is the smaller form factor. This explanation is prominent in both its existing marketing and in the original 2016 product announcement. It was absolutely not some “random update” to the 5/5S design. Apple explained at launch that a significant number of 5/5S owners who resisted upgrading to the popular 6/6S models had been ardently urging Apple not to kill off the 4” form factor. At the same time, Apple was seeing older 4” models as a popular entry point to the Apple line, particularly in strategically important markets like China. This popularity became even more apparent when pent-up demand outpaced supply for months following the launch.

It is a possibility Apple will choose to slightly tweak the screen size in future models while still adhering to the 4” form factor, or even abandon the SE line altogether if they determine users are less enamored with smaller phones than they were two years ago (however I find a kill-off of the SE less likely, as it has already proven itself a popular segment, and is central to Apple’s strategy for entering India’s phone market). More likely is that Apple keeps it around as the Mac Mini equivalent to the iPhone — a compact, inexpensive, less feature-rich model that serves as both a gateway and niche product to the iPhone line. But this notion that the SE will suddenly re-emerge as a jumbo-screen budget alternative to the more profitable flagship models is nothing but a pipe dream.
    rwesbaconstang
  • Reply 14 of 29
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    wizard69 said:
    clarker99 said:
    potatoman said:

iPhone 7

iPhone 7 Plus

iPhone 8

iPhone 8 Plus

iPhone X (SE)
    - 6.1" LCD

iPhone X (series 2)
    - 5.8" OLED

iPhone X Plus (series 2)
    - 6.5" OLED

It could be lots of things but perhaps it is Apple realizing that Iphone X is too expensive for the north American market.  From what i understand X is only truly successeful in China.  That is why Apple can say it outsold the other models in the last quarter.  
    The iPhone X being the top selling phone means just that.
    (As for Canada pricing, who knows what is going on there. It may have nothing to do with the iPhone X.)
  • Reply 15 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    rwes said:
    iPhone {something}, {something} Plus (follow up to the iPhone 8 tier, with newer tech at a similar price point, allowing them to rationalize the iPhone product line a bit)
    lol
  • Reply 16 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    If they’re making the face look like the X, why not just release iPhone (2018), available in three sizes and be done with this madness?
    mattinozentropysmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 29
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I'm starting to prepare for a new phone. I think I'll buy the one with the best camera.
    I've had a 6+ since it came out. Would like it smaller, to be honest. I think the SE form factor is great.
    cecil444baconstangretrogusto
  • Reply 18 of 29
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 808member
    I think Apple might have the resource to make both models this 2018!  It might cost Apple $150 million to make each but I think it is doable!  Otherwise, would Apple want to go on with the current design for another 8 years more till 2025?
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 19 of 29
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Wonder if Apple are going to keep FaceID as still a premium feature but go for TouchID under screen for 8s and 7reboot.
    Getting larger screens in those devices without faceID camera system supply demands.

Everyone else is shotgunning rumours why can't I.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    I think we're likely to see the iPhone 7/7 Plus discontinued and replaced with the iPhone 8/8Plus at those price points this fall. The original iPhone SE will finally be retired and replaced with the iPhone SE 2, which I expect will continue with the same form factor, more or less. It would be cool if Apple made wireless charging available across the line, but the SE is meant to be a poor man's model, so not sure it will get that.

As for the new phones, I think the image we've seen that represented Ming-Chi Kuo's parting gift are probably right -- an iPhone X "family" at various sizes/prices

In short, I think Apple will offer six phones in September (the iPhone 7/7Plus and SE may survive briefly while supplies last, but will be cleared out ASAP in my estimate), ranging from the budget SE 2 to the low-mid iPhone 8/8Plus (which will still have Touch ID), and the low-premium 6.1-inch X model alongside the two "regular" iPhone X models (which have FaceID)

Poor iPhone 9, we never knew ye.
    edited May 2018