'iPhone 8s' could bring back iPhone 5c color options in the fall, says analyst

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple could release brightly-colored versions of the iPhone as part of this year's fall refresh, suggests investment firm Rosenblatt Securities, reviving the color scheme used in the iPhone 5c in an attempt to make an LCD-equipped model more distinct from the versions using an OLED display.

iPhone 5c color lineup

The note by analyst Jun Zhang written for Rosenblatt Securities and received by AppleInsider, the firm believes Apple "could launch multiple colors for the iPhone 8s (LCD model)" later this year. The choice of bright colors, including blue, yellow, and pink options, will apparently be an attempt to target the "younger consumer market."

Previous rumors speculate Apple will continue last year's change to three iPhone model releases in the fall refresh, with two OLED models with 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch displays accompanied by a 6.1-inch LCD version. Aside from being cheaper, potentially as low as $799, the note suggests Apple needs to "differentiate the designs of the LCD model from the two high-end OLED models."

"One reasonable choice would be to add different colors," writes Zhang, noting Apple didn't have a wide variety of colors offered to users for the "last several models." Bringing back the bold color scheme used in the iPhone 5c would certainly provide some distinction between the two tiers of potential iPhone, and "could drive incremental demand for the LCD model."

It isn't clear why the analyst believes this to be the case. Zhang doesn't cite any supply chain sources or similar venues for the prediction.

The firm estimates as many as 120 million iPhones could be produced in the second half of 2018, "including 60 million LCD iPhones and 50 million OLED iPhones." This is in line with another Rosenblatt report in April, which also split the 50 million OLED iPhones down to 28 million 5.8-inch and 22 million 6.5-inch models.

Rosenblatt has also joined the chorus of recent reports speculating the introduction of a triple-lens rear camera in its 2019 iPhone launches. As with other analysts, it is believed this could allow Apple to add a 3D-sensing solution to the back of the iPhone, which could enable similar photographic functionality as offered by the TrueDepth camera in the iPhone X for self portrait shots.

Such a system's depth mapping could allow for improved bokeh for portraits, the application of digital masks to a subject's tracked face, or even the enhancement of ARKit applications.

The trend of 3D sensing and the possibility of having it on both the front and back of devices leads Rosenblatt to suggest it will be good for a number of Apple suppliers and other firms, including Lumentum, Viavi, AMS, STMicroelectronics, and Sony.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Not happening 
  • Reply 2 of 31
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Actually think that’s a good idea
    harry wild
  • Reply 3 of 31
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I don't really think its gonna happen, but I think it would be nice to see color anodized aluminum iPhones. I kinda get sick of silver, space gray, gold and rose gold options on nearly every Apple product. 
    avon b7applesnoranges
  • Reply 4 of 31
    atomic101atomic101 Posts: 131member
    Were the bright color options used in the iPhone 5C actually that popular, in terms of sales? I would be skeptical if the historical data showed otherwise.  Perhaps only a select few of the more popular color options?
  • Reply 5 of 31
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Apple has too much class to ever do this.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    The good thing about believing is, that you’re absolutely free beyond reason to believe whatever you like.
    Unless of course, you’re an electric monk hooked up to a couple of VCRs simultaneously. 
  • Reply 7 of 31
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    My question is, will there be an 8s model at all? I don't want to lose that form factor. It's absolutely the sweet spot for me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 31
    My wife had a "red" 5c. Good gravy, those pastels were just horrid. Pick a real color, Apple!
  • Reply 9 of 31
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    nunzy said:
    Right, because they’ve never done bright, colorful products before. Except for the iPhone 5c. Or the iPod Nano. Or the iPod Shuffle. Or the iMac. Or the MacBook.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Craingry Craingry Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    Why not let the customer order their own color? A lot of people would like that I think...
  • Reply 11 of 31
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    AF_Hitt said:
    nunzy said:
    Right, because they’ve never done bright, colorful products before. Except for the iPhone 5c. Or the iPod Nano. Or the iPod Shuffle. Or the iMac. Or the MacBook.
    I would love an iPhone with the anodized aluminum colored cases of the 5th generation iPod Nano.  Those were the high point of the entire line.

A polycarbonate case may be durable but it looks and feels cheap.  It reminds me of a $15 aftermarket case.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 12 of 31
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    There is definitely a market for bright colours, combinations or different finishes.

The problem for me was that all the 5C colours looked cheap and boring. The iPods and candy iMacs looked great.

Anything gold (be it champagne, rose or pink) looks tacky and boring to me.

If they can strike a colourful but elegant balance I think it could work.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    stanthemanstantheman Posts: 332member
    Because it has no source, this story qualifies as a guess and/or as a wish, not as a rumor. I’m not sure how important colors are on devices enveloped in cases. But if color does matter, I believe the back should be a low-powered LED screen that can assume any disguise desired by its owner — including that of the piece of furniture it is lying upon, so it appears invisible. Siri could guide the owner to an invisible iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So they’re not basing this on any supply chain rumor, just guessing that young people like bright colors? How the heck is this newsworthy?
  • Reply 15 of 31
    78Bandit said:
    AF_Hitt said:
    nunzy said:
    I would love an iPhone with the anodized aluminum colored cases of the 5th generation iPod Nano.  Those were the high point of the entire line.

A polycarbonate case may be durable but it looks and feels cheap.  It reminds me of a $15 aftermarket case.
    I agree...I would actually like to see maybe like the new MacBook Air or something like that in color anodized aluminum. I think kids would buy these in droves if Apple can keep the price down low enough...maybe around $899'ish with a 13" screen. 
  • Reply 16 of 31
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    78Bandit said:
    AF_Hitt said:
    nunzy said:

The 5C cases didn’t feel cheap. They didn’t even feel like plastic to me. It’s a shame that the market treated the product as cheap plastic when it was anything but.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Why not let the customer order their own color? A lot of people would like that I think…
    Cost (also just buy a case).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 31
    78Bandit said:
    AF_Hitt said:
    nunzy said:

The 5C cases didn’t feel cheap. They didn’t even feel like plastic to me. It’s a shame that the market treated the product as cheap plastic when it was anything but.
    I had a green 5C and I actually liked it. It wasn't slippery like the aluminum iPhones are. They were very durable and they didn't feel cheap to me either. It was a pretty good phone. They could have probably went with more vibrant colors instead of the pastel'ish route, but other than that it was a pretty good phone and I think it served its purpose. 
    watto_cobracroprdoozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 31

Why not let the customer order their own color? A lot of people would like that I think...
    I cannot imagine the backlog of orders this would cause. Its hard enough making tens of millions of these let alone let someone custom order a phone and wait MONTHS for it to arrive. People get pissed when they have to wait 2 weeks for a brand new phone. The logistics of this just aren't there, even as good as Apple is. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 20 of 31
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    No way Jose! Apple will stick to colors that started from iPhone 6.