Tim Cook Duke commencement calls out to Steve Jobs, urges grads to think different

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Latko said:
    a Retina screen for MacBook Air
    The Air isn’t really needed anymore. It’s just a stop-gap until the MacBook can come down in price (though since people are still buying them at that price maybe it will never happen). I can’t imagine why anyone would want a non-retina display anymore, but Apple apparently doesn’t care enough about ecosystem (in general, actually) uniformity to want to drop or update the line.
    I’d like to see the Air continue. Effectively the 12” MacBook but with Apple silicon, which will bring down the price. I’d also like to see a 14” version.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 22 of 27
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    Whatever you do Siri and Alexa listens to what happens at your home. Good luck with life.
    hodar said:
    How about you quit with the politics and alienating 50% of your customer base
    More ‘liberals’ use Apple products than ‘conservatives’, and please don’t fall for false dichotomies in the first place. The public perception of what politics “is” is one of the most egregiously wrong perception/reality differences out there today.
    iPad Pro is vitually dead, why? Focus on your key businesses.
    People shouldn’t expect Tim Cook to be what he isn’t. Jobs didn’t pick him because he was another Jobs. We shouldn’t expect from him the sorts of change we saw from Jobs. That doesn’t just go for “Cook having ideas like Jobs did”, it goes for “Cook hiring people like Jobs did” and even “Cook hiring people like Jobs himself was.” It’s just not going to happen–it’s outside the physical realm of expectation–and so expecting it to happen is silly.
    As far as liberals or conservatives using this or that, what is the puprose of these claims? Where are libertarians? (no they are not liberals nor conservatives). And lastly, why to bring political views into technology? That does not make sense at all. You would be surpirized how many this or that group uses Apple and you claims of "more libreals" would be quite wrong. Sticking out nose from small yard and going to other groups of people is the key to know the facts. I do spend time on both sides... quite a lot of time.

As far as thinking differently, agreed, but keep it logically - not randomly with justification to agenda rather than to the facts.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    maciekskontakt said:
    As far as liberals or conservatives using this or that, what is the puprose of these claims? Where are libertarians? (no they are not liberals nor conservatives). And lastly, why to bring political views into technology? That does not make sense at all. You would be surpirized how many this or that group uses Apple and you claims of "more libreals" would be quite wrong. Sticking out nose from small yard and going to other groups of people is the key to know the facts. I do spend time on both sides... quite a lot of time. 
    While there is some alignment... keep in mind that liberal and conservative aren't the same as Liberal(s) and Conservatives(s). The former is closer to worldview (or part of worldview) while the latter is political party.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Whatever you do Siri and Alexa listens to what happens at your home. Good luck with life.
    Hear hear. Well, except Siri. You can turn that off. Google’s service is probably always on and can’t be disabled.
    As far as liberals or conservatives using this or that, what is the puprose of these claims?
    Ideological distinction between “believing that objective truth does not exist” and “building beliefs based on objective truth.” ‘Conservative’ (I tend to say traditionalist) and ‘liberal’ are, in this way, adopted terms. Adopted only because they are familiar and their mass perception (which is false) is closely related to the aforementioned distinction, anyway. Creating new words out of the ether (or using preexisting, more formal, proper terms) would be confusing. The point is to educate people.
    Where are libertarians? (no they are not liberals nor conservatives).
    Libertarians are quite clearly liberals in every sense of the word. But that discussion is for another time and place and does not belong here.
    And lastly, why to bring political views into technology?
    Because, unfortunately, the ideological distinction is required to engage in the field of technology. Divorcing oneself of logos when establishing a political ideology means that one is incapable of engaging in mathematics, as well as all that stem from mathematics. Pretending that truth doesn’t exist means pretending that the physical reality of the world does not exist. You can’t run a company like that, you can’t design a product like that, you can’t make sales like that. But we’re getting off-topic again.
    you claims of "more libreals" would be quite wrong.
    I’d have to see more modern, changed data, then. It was heavily liberal a decade or so ago.
    cgWerksasciiGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 25 of 27
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Soli said:
    Latko said:
    a Retina screen for MacBook Air
    The Air isn’t really needed anymore. It’s just a stop-gap until the MacBook can come down in price (though since people are still buying them at that price maybe it will never happen). I can’t imagine why anyone would want a non-retina display anymore, but Apple apparently doesn’t care enough about ecosystem (in general, actually) uniformity to want to drop or update the line.
    I’d like to see the Air continue. Effectively the 12” MacBook but with Apple silicon, which will bring down the price. I’d also like to see a 14” version.
    I'd like to see it continue too...even if it was strictly in K-12/Higher Ed. At the right price point, I think it would be a great device for schools and college students. 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 26 of 27
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,077member
    Soli said:

Bonus: Right before he takes that guy's question Jobs states that when the media shorts Apple that he buys AAPL stock.
    That's interesting. If Mr. Jobs had bought AAPL stock (as he suggested), he sold it fairly soon thereafter and before he became Apple's interim CEO a few months later (or he had already sold it when he gave that answer). I suppose that's possible as he sold the AAPL stock he got as part of the NEXT acquisition soon after that conference (in or around June 1997). At any rate, by November 1997 he held just the single share of AAPL that he had held onto when he sold the rest of his initial stake in Apple in the mid 80s.

The only shares that Mr. Jobs acquired after that time were shares that he had vest (as compensation for being CEO) in 2007 and shares that he acquired when he exercised options (which were compensation for being a director) in 2007.