Microsoft Windows team wants iMessage on Windows devices

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    asdasd said:

iMessage isn’t even on iCloud.com. No way will Apple do anything to make it easier to switch to someone else’s hardware and iMessage is probably the stickiest thing in Apple’s ecosystem. 
    Switch to what? Most iPhone users are Windows users for PCs, a stat that I worked out by comparing the installed base of iPhones in use with the installed base of Macs.
    Sure but if Apple ported iMessage to Windows (or allowed Microsoft to support it) the demand would be to do it for Android too which would be a disaster for iPhone IMO.
    This isn't about "porting iMessage to Windows" — it's about allowing the Your Phone app in Windows to relay messages to/from iMessage while your iPhone is present. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 55
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I'd like to see imessage on other platforms.  Google can't seem to focus on a messaging platform.  It would be nice if I can use it to text Android and windows user.  Why not. Do you really think it locks people into Apple's ecosystem? If anything, it forces me to use some other messaging system for Android users I want to text.  I message is secure and can be trusted.  Opening it up makes far more sense then locked on Apple's ecosystem only.

• Reply 43 of 55
    jbdragon said:
    If anything, it forces me to use some other messaging system for Android users I want to text.  I message is secure and can be trusted.  
    Really? I use Messages to text Android users all the time. 

If Messages was on Android (or any other platform) are we sure it would be as secure? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 55
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jbdragon said:
    If anything, it forces me to use some other messaging system for Android users I want to text.  I message is secure and can be trusted.  
    Really? I use Messages to text Android users all the time. 

If Messages was on Android (or any other platform) are we sure it would be as secure? 
    1) "Sure" it would be secure? No, but I don't think we can certain anything in the digital age is secure.

2) I believe iMessage uses end-to-end encryption per device, not account, so I do think it's possible for Apple to allow these messages to be sent to a non-Apple OS and be able to dissolve those devices easily within other devices or iCloud.

3) I think the bigger question is whether this is a good move for Apple. While Apple Music brings money to Apple, which is one reason why it's available to Android, iMessages currently has no profit center. It's a feature and service that makes that makes iDevices (and Macs) better. This thread alone has several people saying that if iMessages was on Android it would be much easier to move to Android. Apple surely doesn't want that to happen.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    They can’t crack Apple’s security, so they want iMessage on an OS that keylogs literally everything you do. Take note.
    watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 46 of 55
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    robbyx said:
    asdasd said:

iMessage isn’t even on iCloud.com. No way will Apple do anything to make it easier to switch to someone else’s hardware and iMessage is probably the stickiest thing in Apple’s ecosystem. 
    Switch to what? Most iPhone users are Windows users for PCs, a stat that I worked out by comparing the installed base of iPhones in use with the installed base of Macs.
    Sure but if Apple ported iMessage to Windows (or allowed Microsoft to support it) the demand would be to do it for Android too which would be a disaster for iPhone IMO.
    If iMessage is the primary reason to stick with an iPhone, Apple has bigger problems. While I get your point, a single feature should not be make or break.
    No doubt iMessage is the most sticky thing about iPhone.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    asdasd said:

Big difference between integrating iMessage with Windows laptops / desktops, which are not competing with iOS,  vs Android, which is competing with iOS.  Even though the Mac user base has grown a lot, Windows still dominates the PC space and probably will for a long time.  Nothing wrong with Apple enabling iMessage integration with Windows PCs for those iOS users that will probably never switch to a Mac.
    Like I said. If Apple integrates with Windows the pressure to also integrate with or offer an app for Android will be huge. Put iMessage on Android and Apple will lose iPhone customers.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    k2kw said:
    asdasd said:

IMessage is definitely a moat in Buffet’s terms.

the only way I see this happening is if Apple charged $5 - 10 bucks a month in windows store or android play store per device.  May tie into iMessage for Business.

But I hope they don’t do this because software resources are spread too thin a Apple.   Apple needs to work on making Apple better.
    I can only imagine the howls from the tech media if Apple brought iMessage to Android and/or Windows but charged a monthly subscription fee for it. I can’t see it ever happening because I can’t see non-iOS users willing to pay for it.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    asdasd said:

This isn't about "porting iMessage to Windows" — it's about allowing the Your Phone app in Windows to relay messages to/from iMessage while your iPhone is present. 
    As SMS or with all the rich features of iMessage?
  • Reply 50 of 55
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    I think Apple should look at doing something to support this Your Phone, mostly for the benefit of their customers, but also as a good will gesture towards Microsoft.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    asdasd said:

Big difference between integrating iMessage with Windows laptops / desktops, which are not competing with iOS,  vs Android, which is competing with iOS.  Even though the Mac user base has grown a lot, Windows still dominates the PC space and probably will for a long time.  Nothing wrong with Apple enabling iMessage integration with Windows PCs for those iOS users that will probably never switch to a Mac.
    Like I said. If Apple integrates with Windows the pressure to also integrate with or offer an app for Android will be huge. Put iMessage on Android and Apple will lose iPhone customers.
    You said that but you were wrong. Apple putting iMessage on Windows is facilitating people who use Windows desktops and iPhones, a greater number than iPhone and Mac users. There would be no pressure to port to Android. 
  • Reply 52 of 55
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    cornchip said:
    I clearly don’t know for certain, but at this point I think Apple would prefer to keep the infuriating green bubbles popping up in people’s messages app. It’s an incredible source of peer pressure.  There’s no way Apple doesn’t realize this. 
    Aren’t messages between iPhones not using sms blue? 
  • Reply 53 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Of what possible benefit would such a thing be to Apple?
  • Reply 54 of 55
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    asdasd said:

As SMS or with all the rich features of iMessage?
    Huh? I think you’re completely missing the fundamentals of how this works. This is an app in Windows that interfaces with an app on your phone to display notifications, photos, and messages on your PC. Apple doesn’t allow access to Messages in iOS, so this feature is not currently offered by Your Phone. They say they need to work with Apple, but haven’t even approached them yet. I have a pretty strong feeling the answer will be a resounding NO. Again, this has nothing to do with porting Messages to Windows — just relaying them to an app to display and interact with them in Windows, and doesn’t do a thing without a paired iPhone.