More Google DoubleClick ads coming to Apple News content

Posted:
in iPhone
Following a brief testing period, Apple has given the green light to all publishers wanting to use Google DoubleClick ads in Apple News articles.

Apple News on iPad

The change should let publishers populate News articles with ad invetory from their own websites, as well as Google AMP and Facebook Instant Articles content, Digiday said. While Apple offers its own ad options, publishers get to keep all of the revenue for ads they sell on their own.

There remain some limits. Publishers can't insert HTML5-based ads, or pre-rolls for videos -- instead they're restricted to display ads, such as banners and animated GIFs. They also can't perform the same amount of targeting allowed in other places supporting DoubleClick.

There are two allowed targeting categories. Contextual ads can be targeted according to the publisher, content category, tags, and whether they're meant to appear on iPhones or iPads. Audience-based ads can be directed at ages, genders, and broad locations.

Apple began testing DoubleClick late last year. The move raised eyebrows, since the company is officially against the sort of customer tracking DoubleClick can perform.

At the same time Apple News has struggled to break out of a rut in which small publishers make little money and even bigger ones may be upset about most traffic coming from the app's "Spotlight" and "Top Stories" sections. Google ads could make News a more profitable destination.

Bending to publishers even further, Apple recently paid BuzzFeed to premiere a show in the app, and is rumored to be preparing paid subscription options following its acquisition of Texture, a magazine subscription service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    AMcKinlay21AMcKinlay21 Posts: 125member
    At the same time Apple News has struggled to break out of a rut in which small publishers make little money and even bigger ones may be upset about most traffic coming from the app's "Spotlight" and "Top Stories"
    If Apple spent half as much time developing the international availability of their services business as they do on the technological marvels they produce, such a sentence would not be necessary...
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 2 of 10
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    A Raspberry Pi running Pihole is a great way to block ads network-wide, works great and you can use the Pi for other services too :smiley: 
  • Reply 3 of 10
    greg uvangreg uvan Posts: 86member
    Still no Apple News in Canada, years after its first release in the US. Throw us a bone! I've only ever even seen Apple News in the iOS simulator. 
    wlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    olsols Posts: 50member
    Why does anybody need more google ads?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ols said:
    Because "news organizations" are folding like pressed shirts because they can't make money (regardless of what one thinks about their biases or accuracy).
    lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    ols said:
    How much money do you pay the publishers of everything you read in News?
    gatorguy
  • Reply 7 of 10
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    greg uvan said:
    Still no Apple News in Canada, years after its first release in the US. Throw us a bone! I've only ever even seen Apple News in the iOS simulator. 
    I just changed my iPad mini's Region to "United States" (I'm in Canada too) and now I have the Apple News app. I haven't noticed anything otherwise different about how the iPad works, jus that I now have the News app. Not sure I'd try it on my iPhone though...
    propodwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I had moderately high hopes for Apple News but I have all but stopped using it. I understand this is what a "free" product looks like, limited and more work to customize than is worth the return. I actually pay for my new and subscribe to 2 national newspapers. If I were interested in celebrities and super hero movies then Apple News would be my favorite app. 
  • Reply 9 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    spice-boy said:
    I had moderately high hopes for Apple News but I have all but stopped using it. I understand this is what a "free" product looks like, limited and more work to customize than is worth the return. I actually pay for my new and subscribe to 2 national newspapers. If I were interested in celebrities and super hero movies then Apple News would be my favorite app. 
    It’s gotten better with time, I think. You can easily dislike those subjects/channels and not see any of that stuff, I did it easily in seconds for sports, but you can’t be bothered. 
  • Reply 10 of 10
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 422member
    spice-boy said:
    I had moderately high hopes for Apple News but I have all but stopped using it.
    Likewise.

In the UK it's pretty poor (IMHO) and ads are just going to make it less attractive. If Apple wants to make a success of it, shouldn't they invest some money into content? Just aggregating free copy, as I believe they do, doesn't sound to me like a promising place to start.