AI-powered Google News debuts in iOS App Store, replaces Google Play Newsstand

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2018
Making good on promises to deliver a revamped news consumption app for iOS, Google on Tuesday launched Google News with machine learning capabilities, smart content organization and a fresh, uncluttered design.

Announced as part of the Google I/O conference last week, Google News for iOS utilizes real-time artificial intelligence and machine learning tools to analyze and organize breaking news.

At its core, Google's new service is an attempt to curate information. Leaning on advanced AI and ML algorithms, users can pare incoming stories into easily digestible chunks Google calls newscasts. The format pulls in collections of articles, videos, images and other content about a single story from a variety of sources.

The app opens with a "For You" section that offers a brief overview of five stories picked based on past reading trends and inferred interests. Like other curation-based apps, Google News applies its synthetic smarts to learn user preferences over time. Users can tweak those guidelines by telling the app to show more or less content on a given topic.

Going deeper, Google incorporates a "Full Coverage" feature under the Headlines section that allows users to view stories from a variety of sources, including social media services, as well as timelines for long-running issues.

Finally, Newsstand provides access to media outlets that rely on subscriptions and paywall blockers. Here, users can subscribe to a publication and view its latest coverage in Google's mobile-friendly AMP standard.

The new Google News replaces the internet giant's outgoing Google Play Newsstand, which launched on iOS in 2014 as a news and magazine subscription hub.

Google News for iOS is a free 125.1 MB download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    djs71adjs71a Posts: 10member
    Now I haver two Google News apps on my phone, the old and new one...
  • Reply 2 of 47
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    Nope! No Google News for me.
    racerhomie3SpamSandwichbaconstangpropodmonstrosityMuntzRobPalmer9watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 47
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Just remember that if the app is free, then YOU are the product. Google can't be trusted.
    macseekermejsricbaconstangracerhomie3monstrosityMuntzRobPalmer9MacProjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Mmm-hmmm...  :|
    Muntzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 47
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Wow, what a shock that they called it "Google News". Such a coincidence. Same coincidence as how Google finally settled on "Google Pay" after going through 5 other names. Pathetic. 
    Cesar Battistini Mazieromejsricmacseekerpropod[Deleted User]MuntzRobPalmer9StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 47
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    nunzy said:
    Just remember that if the app is free, then YOU are the product. Google can't be trusted.
    I’ll uninstall Apple News right away.
    [Deleted User]nunzy
  • Reply 7 of 47
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    slurpy said:
    Wow, what a shock that they called it "Google News". Such a coincidence. Same coincidence as how Google finally settled on "Google Pay" after going through 5 other names. Pathetic. 
    and Samsung News is coming soon...
    Muntzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 47
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    AI and  "machine learning", the new buzzy flavor that makes us "tingle"....

Love how every fucking thing these days is "AI" "ML" when they're just evolutions of the same software stack with a brand new bow on top.

Says more about marketing than tech.
    baconstangmacseeker[Deleted User]MuntzStrangeDaysthtjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 47
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    slurpy said:
    Um, Google News has existed since 2002.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 47
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    nunzy said:
    I’ll uninstall Apple News right away.
    You are paying with your iPhone purchase.
    Thats how FaceTime & iMessage work.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 47
    mattbookairmattbookair Posts: 172member
    The only reason I would try this is because Apple News doesn't exist for iPhone ... what's up with that Tim??
  • Reply 12 of 47
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    The only reason I would try this is because Apple News doesn't exist for iPhone ... what's up with that Tim??
    Uh, what’s this then?
    https://www.apple.com/news/
    Muntzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 47
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

slurpy said:
    I’ve been using Google News for about 15 years. 
    robbyx
  • Reply 14 of 47
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Should have called it "Google Propaganda"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 47
    nunzy said:
    Are you paying to access this website?
    nunzy
  • Reply 16 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    nunzy said:
    Like in Apple News where some of your Apple user data is used for Apple-targeted ads? Like in the App Store where your user data enables better targeting of the ads you see there?

Geesh, is there ever going to be a point where features and products can be appreciated without being followed around by ignorance and/or fan-driven hate connected to it? Silly that faux-outrage is still a thing among so many otherwise smart people. 

edited May 2018 croprrobbyx
  • Reply 17 of 47
    harmanharman Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Google had refreshed its Google News service and introduced all of its information merchandise below it on the just lately concluded annual developer convention Google I/O 2018. The brand new Google Information is now out there on the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store in 127 international locations. http://trendsindia.net/2018/05/16/google-news/
  • Reply 18 of 47
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    slurpy said:
    Man, some people are dense. Google News has been around since 2002, this is just a refresh and rolling in of their standalone Newsstand app. Show me on the doll where Google touched you.... Good Lord, people like you drive me crazy. Probably time to abandon the message boards for a while again so I can retrieve my sanity.
    franklinjackconAI_liasfastasleep
  • Reply 19 of 47
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Uh, what’s this then?
    https://www.apple.com/news/
    Apple News has a very limited coverage (US, UK and Australia), while Google News is true global service. So again, ... what's up with that Tim??
  • Reply 20 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    AF_Hitt said:
    slurpy said:
    Man, some people are dense. Google News has been around since 2002, this is just a refresh and rolling in of their standalone Newsstand app. Show me on the doll where Google touched you.... Good Lord, people like you drive me crazy. Probably time to abandon the message boards for a while again so I can retrieve my sanity.
    Yes it has. This announcement has to do more with the redesign and focus than a new name. It's been called Google News for 15 years, but no one from the Google side is going to claim Apple copied them with "Apple News" because it's silly petty stuff no matter who it would come from.
    edited May 2018 muthuk_vanalingamrobbyx