Alternative Solution To The Apple LED Cinema Display 27"

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Hi all.... I recently started having intermittent problems with my Apple LED Cinema Display 27" (NOT THUNDERBOLD VERSION). It keeps going off on me... just black and blank, sometimes it comes back on within a few seconds, other times it takes longer or not at all and I need to unplug from the mini DV input and plugin to the other... and then it would come back on, but all my windows would be moved as resolution would need to change... just very annoying behaviour.

I purchased it from brand new, only about 3-4 years ago from an Authorised Apple Store, but not that it's out of warranty and Apple no longer make standalone monitors (due to return to this business for the MacPro refresh in 2019) I'm left with a real struggle trying to find a replacement monitor that delivers a similar resolution and is 100% compatible with my video card (ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB).

Has anyone ever bought a new, replacement monitor that just plugs and plays without issue. I spoke with DELL but they say talk to APPLE, I talk to APPLE and they cannot recommend an alternative compatible monitor even though I have been a loyal customer of theirs now for 30 years.

I'm holding off for the new MacPro before I decide what new system to purchase, so I don't want to be pushed into buying a new iMac Pro all for the sake of having a reliable screen... but if my screen fails I need to get a replacement quickly that I know from other Apple users will work without issue.

Any help or advice would be very welcome indeed on this issue.

Regards,
Anthony

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Literally any monitor will do, with a MDP to (DisplayPort, DVI, or HDMI) adapter. The 5870 can't do 4K, so I'd pass on that.
    amcliz
  • Reply 2 of 3
    amclizamcliz Posts: 56member
    Thank you Mike for that reply and advice. Can youshow me a link tk what kne if the MDP adaptors looks like and wouldyou knos of any sprcific monitor that would work without one if these MDP adaptors ?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    amcliz said:
    Thank you Mike for that reply and advice. Can youshow me a link tk what kne if the MDP adaptors looks like and wouldyou knos of any sprcific monitor that would work without one if these MDP adaptors ?
    Regarding your latter question -- not off hand. But, the tech specs on any given monitor discuss what ports they have.