Here's why adding Face ID to the 'iPhone SE 2' could be a good idea

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

mcdark said:
    It is never a "good idea" to replace fingerprint unlocking with face unlocking on any phone. In the vast majority of practical circumstances, TouchID is superior to FaceID. 
    Says what authority!?
    mike1
  • Reply 22 of 44
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    mcdark said:
    It is never a "good idea" to replace fingerprint unlocking with face unlocking on any phone. In the vast majority of practical circumstances, TouchID is superior to FaceID. I'm dreading the day when there's no choice.
    Your worst nightmare is about to happen. 
    GeorgeBMacmike1lkrupp
  • Reply 23 of 44
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    It's a coin toss for me whether I get FID or TID. I've never used FID so if it's as accurate as TID I'm ok with it.

Considering the higher costs of the actual and ancillary hardware needed for TID, I don't believe it'll be in the SE 2. I don't see Apple offering it as anything but an entry level phone. Maybe/probably if all the phones in between the SE and X get FID also.

I don't want to see an increase in the SE 2's price. So if there's no FID that ok with me. A newer processor, better graphics, 64G instead of 32G, and TID2— and I'm good.

Apple started out making an entry level phone using the 5's form factor. I don't see them trying to make a mini-X out of it or even a semi-premium version.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    mcdarkmcdark Posts: 28member
    kruegdude said:
    mcdark said:
    It is never a "good idea" to replace fingerprint unlocking with face unlocking on any phone. In the vast majority of practical circumstances, TouchID is superior to FaceID. I'm dreading the day when there's no choice.
    Your worst nightmare is about to happen. 
    What? A zombie apocalypse? Shit!
  • Reply 25 of 44
    I think the chances of it coming out at WWDC are much greater than it coming in the fall, alongside the new iPhones...
    Think about it: they didn’t release iPhone X alongside 8 & 8 Plus, because it would cannibalized sales of the top-end and muddied choices drastically. They will almost certainly follow the sales model of the 1st gen SE, & offer it months away from the upper-tier iPhones.
    If they do come out with a version w/ wireless charging & FaceID,and price it at $450... it will mop the floor, sales-wise, w/ anything else out; right up until the high-end iPhone releases. I think that’s doable too; especially if the rumors are true of the lower-priced 6.1” lcd iPhone starting at $550. 
    mattinoz
  • Reply 26 of 44
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    mavemufc said:
    Here’s why it’s a bad idea, cost.
    If it was only about hitting price point they could get a iPhone 7 based SE into that slot this year.
    If the SE is about keeping the premium buyers that think the iPhone 5 was as big as a phone should be then cost isn't a factor.

They could even shave 5mm off the length of the current SE go full face screen. Which would then be the smallest iPhone (by volume) ever made and charge a premium.
    baconstangGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 27 of 44
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    It's not going to happen this year. The SE doesn't exist to provide a bleeding edge experience; it's there so Apple can write "iPhone available from $..." and have that number be a really low number. Putting a flagship feature in the SE will hamper up-selling and undercut the ASP, which the iPhone X just helped them prop up. They chose not to laminate the display on the cheaper iPads for much the same reasons.
    edited May 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 44
    hawkerhawker Posts: 12member
    I don't care if it is called a SE2 or not but a small form factor iPhone with all the latest tech inside would be nice and worth it. All these plus sizes are far to big, bigger is not always best. My SE is the ideal size to fit into a pocket.
    mattinozGeorgeBMacbaconstangdesignr
  • Reply 29 of 44
    mavemufc said:
    shite. If that's truly the case then they can release 2x SE's; a top spec SE (SE X? lol) with FaceID (ala iPhone X) and a rehashed current model SE (SE2) (ala iPhone 8). 
  • Reply 30 of 44
    uktechieuktechie Posts: 67member
    I’m very impressed with the accuracy, speed and reliability of Face ID and it is impressive technology but I’m convinced all the sophistication is in the software. 

Apple have cleverly used fancy terms to help promote Face ID without saying how it works. 

I think the “Dot projector” is just a light source firing IR light through some pinholes to generate a unique pattern for each iPhone (you can see this in YouTube IR videos). It’s probably mirrored and has a lens but it’s nothing comlex - just an IR led and a tiny perforated light shade. 

Similararly, the depth sensor is just an IR camera that is used to determine the location of the dots. 

As the projector and detector (camera) are offset the horizontal offset of each dot can be used to determine the depth (like the parallax effect). 

How is much does an IR LED and relatively low res IR camera cost? Not much...

It’s stunning technology and it works better than I expected but the sophistication is in the software - the cleverness of the design keeps the cost down. 

The notched display and assembly costs shouldn’t be ignored but an iPhone SE/X with Face ID and big display in a small iPhone would be stunning. 
    mattinoz
  • Reply 31 of 44
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    N O P E !
    Well that's wrong:   Y E P !

The video has it right that SE is likely to get FaceId - but for the wrong reason:
    FaceId is not the "technology of the future" -- it is a means to the end.  And the end, the goal, is to have the entire face (or as much as possible) used for screen rather than wasted on bezels and home buttons.

The SE, being a small external form factor is begging for a full screen!

AI readers continue the debate over whether the appeal of the SE is its size or its cost.  Actually, its both.   In fact, it was Steve Jobs who refused to increase its size saying that people prefer to use a small phone.  (The part he missed was that being a phone had become a minor role for his phones!)

So, FaceId enables the the SE to fit a big screen in a small external form factor.  IDEAL!  That's the best of both worlds and something that Apple excels at.

As for cost:  that may be less relevant than you might think:   People are thinking of the "added cost of the FaceId hardware".  But, that added cost is offset by eliminating the cost of a home button and finger print reader which is not insignificant.

Regardless of what it is called, I can see Apple producing a 4" sized phone (or maybe slightly larger) with a full screen face.
    uktechie
  • Reply 32 of 44
    uktechieuktechie Posts: 67member
    I completely agree.

I’m a proud owner of an iPhone X and love the dual cameras and convenience of Face ID.

I’m very envious of my wife’s small iPhone SE though and would happily get an iPhone like that if it had Face ID (for the big screen experience in a small form factor) and dual cameras. I doubt they’ll put dual cameras in an iPhone SE sized phone but I’d certainly buy one if they did, even if it cost a lot more than today’s SE. 

I usually have an iPad or MacBook nearby so having a big iPhone isn’t important to me. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 33 of 44
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    adm1 said:
    mavemufc said:
    shite. If that's truly the case then they can release 2x SE's; a top spec SE (SE X? lol) with FaceID (ala iPhone X) and a rehashed current model SE (SE2) (ala iPhone 8). 
    And SE3 will be with foldable display already.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    I may be one of the few but I do not like Face ID.  I have the iPhone X and next go around, I'm going to switch back to something with Touch ID as long as there is one.  My fingerprints always worked without issue.  I find myself having to wait, look at my phone, it seems to take longer for Apple Pay (even though there were videos comparing)  For me, Touch ID is much easier and quicker.
    baconstang
  • Reply 35 of 44
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    I may be one of the few but I do not like Face ID.  I have the iPhone X and next go around, I'm going to switch back to something with Touch ID as long as there is one.  My fingerprints always worked without issue.  I find myself having to wait, look at my phone, it seems to take longer for Apple Pay (even though there were videos comparing)  For me, Touch ID is much easier and quicker.
    Very surprised. For me, Face ID is near nstantaneous. Rarely have to even think about it. I just swipe up and it's unlocked. I have one pair of sunglasses where I have to lift them up so it can see my eyes. All my other sunglasses don't even require that.
    uktechieright_said_fred
  • Reply 36 of 44
    For me the small form factor with a bezel-less full-screen (with FaceID) is a buy-on-sight.  I don't play games on my phone, I have other devices available if I need a larger screen.  The appeal of the SE for me is not low cost - it is the normal-to-me size that easily fits in pockets and easily works with one hand - just like the Iphones when they first came out.  Bigger isn't better - better is better.  I would (and probably expect to) pay the same as is charged for a "full sized" phone.
    I think there are many, many, many people with the same view.  Look how many independent designers are generating renderings for a phone we all want to see!  Seems like maybe Apple is listening...
    Can't wait to see it!
    uktechieGeorgeBMacright_said_fredbaconstang
  • Reply 37 of 44
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    It all boils down to what the purpose of the SE is. 
    If it is designed to be a SMALL phone then yes it can get FaceID and a lot of other "premium" features.
    If it is designed to be an INEXPENSIVE phone then it can't.
    The original SE was both. Apple may however, have decided to focus it on one of the two niche's.
    I got my SE because I wanted a small phone. An SE with more features, costing a couple of hundred more would not have bothered me.
    baconstangGeorgeBMacdesignr
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Well all iPhones with face Id would see Apple selling way more phones and a lot more apple costumers to pay for Apple music monthly, or the new video service.

Apple has to up their game on third world countries, Brazil would go crazy id they made a phone that sold for 2500 reais. Like the rumored 6" LCD model for example.

The X is around 5000 reais here in Brazil!

Most people have Androids here because of price, everyone wants an iPhone.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    ireland said:
    If it gets Face ID people will say it obviously had to get it. If it doesn’t get Face ID people will say, Face ID, are you crazy? Conveniently, people are never wrong.
    Especially in this forum.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    cecil444 said:
    sflocal said:
    mavemufc said:
    So how much does it cost?
    Face ID costs roughly $16.70 — or about 3x the price of Touch ID, according to this article: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-how-much-the-iphone-x-costs-apple-to-make-2017-11-07

The actual price Apple pays is likely lower, as they are known to re-negotiate component prices and command incredible economies of scale. But just for fun let’s assume total cost after manufacturing, distribution, etc. effectively doubles this price. Add a healthy profit margin, and it appears the SE could gain Face ID tech (also assuming savings from removal of Touch ID) for an added $30-$35 to the existing retail cost. 
    Are the people claiming they know what Face ID costs the same people who’s supply chain checks proved the iPhone X was a failure?
    mattinoz