AI-powered Google News debuts in iOS App Store, replaces Google Play Newsstand

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    nunzy said:
    Just remember that if the app is free, then YOU are the product. Google can't be trusted.
    Then why does Apple allow their apps on the AppStore?
    nunzymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 47
    FYI, Google has 4 of the top 10 free iPad apps on the AppStore.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

....and Apple thinks they make the best search partner and recommends them to Apple users. 

IMHO some folks don't sign up here to learn, be informative, ask questions, or have honest discussions.  I think the OP might be trolling the forum, trying to incite certain responses and having a bit of fun. 
    edited May 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 47
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    nunzy said:
    Just remember that if the app is free, then YOU are the product. Google can't be trusted.
    I’ll uninstall Apple News right away.
    Apple News is part of iOS which is part of an iPhone or iPad, which you paid for. Try again. 
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 47
    nunzy said:
    Are you paying to access this website?
    And we are the product - our eyeballs are sold to the customers who give money to the publisher. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 47
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 533member
    Just what we need, yet another "echo chamber" "news" application that only feeds you the information you want to hear.
  • Reply 27 of 47

gatorguy said:
    nunzy said:
    Like in Apple News where some of your Apple user data is used for Apple-targeted ads? Like in the App Store where your user data enables better targeting of the ads you see there?

Geesh, is there ever going to be a point where features and products can be appreciated without being followed around by ignorance and/or fan-driven hate connected to it? Silly that faux-outrage is still a thing among so many otherwise smart people. 

It’s not silly nor is it faux. Users of google systems are not google customers, advertising departments are google’s customers — the people who give them money for something in return. That thing happens to be access to the users of these systems, which is you. 

You cant FUD that away. It’s a simple fact of the model they chose. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 47
    The only reason I would try this is because Apple News doesn't exist for iPhone ... what's up with that Tim??
    Uh, what’s this then?
    https://www.apple.com/news/
    Not available in my country. However, Google News is.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    nunzy said:
    Are you serious? Apple doesn’t have a ban on advertising based apps. Dumb question. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 47
    nunzy said:
    I’ll uninstall Apple News right away.
    Apple News is part of iOS which is part of an iPhone or iPad, which you paid for. Try again. 
    Well, it's part of IOS if you live in one of like 3 countries.
  • Reply 31 of 47

gatorguy said:

....and Apple thinks they make the best search partner and recommends them to Apple users. 
    What on earth do any of those non sequiturs (prescence in app store or search bar) have to do with the OP’s statement — with google, its users aren’t the customers, they’re the product, which are sold to google’s customers (advertisers), who pay for access to the those users. 

But you knew that. Spin away! Must...distract...must...protect....google!
    nunzywatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 47

gatorguy said:
    nunzy said:
    Like in Apple News where some of your Apple user data is used for Apple-targeted ads? Like in the App Store where your user data enables better targeting of the ads you see there?

Geesh, is there ever going to be a point where features and products can be appreciated without being followed around by ignorance and/or fan-driven hate connected to it? Silly that faux-outrage is still a thing among so many otherwise smart people. 

It’s not silly nor is it faux. Users of google systems are not google customers, advertising departments are google’s customers — the people who give them money for something in return. That thing happens to be access to the users of these systems, which is you. 

You cant FUD that away. It’s a simple fact of the model they chose. 
    I give Google money for something in return (Cloud storage, enterprise account, Google Music et al) so even by your definition I'm their customer just as assuredly as you are Apple's. FUD away my friend, FUD away...

Even assuming that you aren't willing to actually give Google money from your wallet in return for valued services those advertisers you worry so much about (Apple is one BTW) can't access you directly. When working with Google  they have zero idea who you really are, what your address is, where you work, not even your last name. Advertisers that wish to market their products using Google to do so must go thru them. Google doesn't share that identifiable information with them anymore than Apple does no matter how much you want to proclaim they do.

If you're as smart and well-informed as you present yourself to be I'm not telling you anything you don't know. So why stoop to trolling level to promote FUD, implying there's evil stuff going on with your personal data being stolen to sell to advertisers or anyone else willing to pay? It's not particularly honest to do so when you know better. 

FYI: If you aren't willing to pay for the services you consume then the fair and simple solution is don't use 'em only to complain later that the provider expected some form of recompense for it whether it be a dollar or your permission to send an ad to you that Apple or some other company would pay for to help cover the cost of your valuable service.
    edited May 2018 robbyx
  • Reply 33 of 47
    hmlongco said:
    Just what we need, yet another "echo chamber" "news" application that only feeds you the information you want to hear.
    Agreed about relying solely on "what you want to read" serving to reinforce pre-conceptions, but that's exactly the reason some members here complain about reading anything that might be pro-anyone-else. Fans tend go to fan sites for reassurance that everything is OK and their choices were smart.

Pretty common for folks to dismiss, angrily sometimes, anything that might make them think, or horrors!, reconsider any opinions. Apple News is curated, Google News is curated, heck I think every paper, magazine or bloggers news is curated. Where you find yours depends on why you're looking. Those that are willing to go outside their comfort zone are far outweighed by those that already had their mind made up. 

Curated news seems to be what most folks want. 
  • Reply 34 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    foggyhill said:
    AI and  "machine learning", the new buzzy flavor that makes us "tingle"....

Love how every fucking thing these days is "AI" "ML" when they're just evolutions of the same software stack with a brand new bow on top.

Says more about marketing than tech.
    Don't forget 'Edge' :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

gatorguy said:
    AF_Hitt said:
    slurpy said:
    Wow, what a shock that they called it "Google News". Such a coincidence. Same coincidence as how Google finally settled on "Google Pay" after going through 5 other names. Pathetic. 
    Man, some people are dense. Google News has been around since 2002, this is just a refresh and rolling in of their standalone Newsstand app. Show me on the doll where Google touched you.... Good Lord, people like you drive me crazy. Probably time to abandon the message boards for a while again so I can retrieve my sanity.
    Yes it has. This announcement has to do more with the redesign and focus than a new name. It's been called Google News for 15 years, but no one from the Google side is going to claim Apple copied them with "Apple News" because it's silly petty stuff no matter who it would come from.
    And there it is ... the Google explanation for us Apple users.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 47
    MacPro said:

gatorguy said:
    AF_Hitt said:
    slurpy said:
    Wow, what a shock that they called it "Google News". Such a coincidence. Same coincidence as how Google finally settled on "Google Pay" after going through 5 other names. Pathetic. 
    Man, some people are dense. Google News has been around since 2002, this is just a refresh and rolling in of their standalone Newsstand app. Show me on the doll where Google touched you.... Good Lord, people like you drive me crazy. Probably time to abandon the message boards for a while again so I can retrieve my sanity.
    Yes it has. This announcement has to do more with the redesign and focus than a new name. It's been called Google News for 15 years, but no one from the Google side is going to claim Apple copied them with "Apple News" because it's silly petty stuff no matter who it would come from.
    And there it is ... the Google explanation for us Apple users.
    Folks here could read more before commenting so that explanations wouldn't be necessary as often. 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 37 of 47
    hmlongco said:
    The alternative is feeding you information someone else wants you to hear. Who wants that?
  • Reply 38 of 47
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Looks OK, except some of the headlines have smaller font (some have bigger). Hope they fix that. Aside from that, I'll wait to see if they effectively block some news sources, which has been a problem for both Google News and Apple News (you block a channel and it still shows articles from it.)
  • Reply 39 of 47
    nunzy said:
    Are you serious? Apple doesn’t have a ban on advertising based apps. Dumb question. 
    He/she said Google can’t be trusted. OK, if that’s true why is Apple allowing apps that can’t be trusted on their AppStore. Why does a company that can’t be trusted have 4 of the top 10 free apps in the AppStore? If you and me being the product is so awful why does Apple make it so easy for their customers to be the product? Of course I’m being absurd to make a point. But for as much as some here complain about Google it sure seems a majority of Apple customers use Google products/services. And Apple doesn’t seem to have any issues with that.
    nunzy
  • Reply 40 of 47
    edrededred Posts: 57member
    The only reason I would try this is because Apple News doesn't exist for iPhone ... what's up with that Tim??
    I guess you mean it doesn't exist in your country. It doesn't exist in mine either and that's why I'm downloading the Google one.