Solar-powered iPhone X 'Tesla' by Caviar goes on sale for $4,500

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2018
Russian accessory producer Caviar has commenced sales of a "Tesla" version of the iPhone X selling for $4,500 with the first off the production line to be offered to Elon Musk.

caviar iphone x tesla

Initially announced in November, the iPhone X Tesla will be Caviar's first smartphone release that includes a solar panel on the back. The large solar panel on the back feeds into a dedicated battery, which can then provide charge to the iPhone X's battery with a press of the power button on the rear.

Rather than being a case sold on its own, the Tesla appears to be attached directly to the iPhone X itself, with the overall thickness of the device being considerably pronounced compared to the original because of the solar panel. The increased thickness from the original's 7.7mm to 16.2mm is large enough that the rear camera bump is now a recess.

The carbon fiber case surrounding the shock-resistant solar panel is flanked on the sides by an anodized buttons, with gilded decorative elements on the rear. Even with the additional solar panel, the entire assembly is claimed to offer IP67 resistance to water and dust.

While the original version was planned to run to 99 units, the company claims it exceeded that number in pre-orders during its development, increasing the run to 999 units instead. Every device will be individually numbered in the order they were produced.

The first unit, intended for Elon Musk, will feature an extra engraving of the words "Made on Earth by Humans," as a homage to the Tesla launched into space by SpaceX, another Elon Musk company. Caviar explains the company was inspired by "three men of science," consisting of Nikola Tesla, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, and Musk.

Caviar is selling the iPhone X Tesla with 64GB of storage for 284,000 rubles ($4,555), while the 256GB model costs 299,000 ($4,805) excluding taxes and customs duties. Notably, payment is only required after it has been inspected, and the transaction is "accompanied by a personal consultant," though it isn't clear precisely what this entails.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    What a ridiculous waste of money 
    perpetual3lordjohnwhorfingregg thurmanapplesnorangesStrangeDaysjony0grifmxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    talexytalexy Posts: 80member
    Oh yeah, Elon Musk will be delighted, I´m sure.
    perpetual3lordjohnwhorfinSpamSandwichStrangeDaysmknelsonjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    A cool device. It does ruin the X’s sexy look but for power users , it may be an option.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    or you could get this one with an extra 5000mah battery for just £13.54 ($18.26)

I always thought it was bad to charge directly from a solar source as it's such a low amperage, better to trickle charge a backup battery with solar THEN charge from the backup battery with at least 1-2A.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    This seems like something that we'd see posted on April 1, or from The Onion.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Best possible case scenario you're going to get 0.2A/5V out of a panel this size, and I'm being generous. In other words, it's completely useless.
    entropysgrifmxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    macgui said:
    This seems like something that we'd see posted on April 1, or from The Onion.
    Nope. Legit.

I get a kick out of the PR this company has sent over for the last five years.
    king editor the grateJaiOh81
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I don't know about everyone else but I like to charge my phone inside the house, often at night. For the price, you're better of putting some money towards a solar/storage system for your house.

Not to mention the ridiculousness of offering Musk a product that rides off his company's name, even if Tesla is itself a homage to a long dead scientist.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Anyone who buys this should be nominated for a Darwin Award...
    lolliverjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Nobody would make something like this for an Android phone because Android users are too cheap.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    What kind of douche canoe carries a ridiculous phone like this? Even the name is beyond pretentious.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    talexy said:
    Oh yeah, Elon Musk will be delighted, I´m sure.
    Yeah... LOL. He’d never use it for fear of it being bugged.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    supadav03 said:
    What a ridiculous waste of money 
    I agree.  I carry a 40,000ma battery extender that cost under $80.  I get about 5 recharges from it and it doesn't change the iPhone's appearance.

Now if I knew I was going to be off the grid and in the middle of the Antartic for more than a week the Tesla might be a good idea.  But then cell signals in the middle of the Antartic don't exist, so it is a moot point.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    nunzy said:
    Nobody would make something like this for an Android phone because Android users are too cheap.
    Will you please stop with these low-value reverse troll attempts? 
    nunzylolliverpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    ....like cocaine, another one of nature's ways of telling you you have too much money....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    YvLyYvLy Posts: 89member
    ugly
    watto_cobra