AI-powered Google News debuts in iOS App Store, replaces Google Play Newsstand

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    edrededred Posts: 57member
    The only reason I would try this is because Apple News doesn't exist for iPhone ... what's up with that Tim??
    Uh, what’s this then?
    https://www.apple.com/news/
    Is the Apple News app. Not available to most of the world.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    edred said:
    The only reason I would try this is because Apple News doesn't exist for iPhone ... what's up with that Tim??
    Uh, what’s this then?
    https://www.apple.com/news/
    Is the Apple News app. Not available to most of the world.
    They said it “doesn’t exist”. “Isn’t available in my country” means something else. Words have meaning. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gatorguy said:
    hmlongco said:
    Just what we need, yet another "echo chamber" "news" application that only feeds you the information you want to hear.
    Agreed about relying solely on "what you want to read" serving to reinforce pre-conceptions, but that's exactly the reason some members here complain about reading anything that might be pro-anyone-else. Fans tend go to fan sites for reassurance that everything is OK and their choices were smart.

Pretty common for folks to dismiss, angrily sometimes, anything that might make them think, or horrors!, reconsider any opinions. Apple News is curated, Google News is curated, heck I think every paper, magazine or bloggers news is curated. Where you find yours depends on why you're looking. Those that are willing to go outside their comfort zone are far outweighed by those that already had their mind made up. 

Curated news seems to be what most folks want. 
    And not even "curated news" a lot of the time... people want opinions disguised as news which backs up their own worldview. :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 47
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    gatorguy said:
    hmlongco said:
    Just what we need, yet another "echo chamber" "news" application that only feeds you the information you want to hear.
    Agreed about relying solely on "what you want to read" serving to reinforce pre-conceptions, but that's exactly the reason some members here complain about reading anything that might be pro-anyone-else. Fans tend go to fan sites for reassurance that everything is OK and their choices were smart.

Pretty common for folks to dismiss, angrily sometimes, anything that might make them think, or horrors!, reconsider any opinions. Apple News is curated, Google News is curated, heck I think every paper, magazine or bloggers news is curated. Where you find yours depends on why you're looking. Those that are willing to go outside their comfort zone are far outweighed by those that already had their mind made up. 

Curated news seems to be what most folks want. 
    And not even "curated news" a lot of the time... people want opinions disguised as news which backs up their own worldview. :)
    As long as opinion articles are labeled as such, clearly, we'll be OK, and also if anything is not an opinion piece, that the source upholds journalistic integrity. There are certain sources which I do not trust, and do not want anywhere near my source of news. There are plenty of others left from where you'll get all the news form, even without a few sources you consider off-limits. About the echo chamber thing, people are entitled to that, to choose which opinions they want to hear to reinforce their own. No problem there, as long as they're not dumb enough to confuse news and facts for opinions (some people [many] are)
    fastasleep
  • Reply 45 of 47
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    hmlongco said:
    The alternative is feeding you information someone else wants you to hear. Who wants that?
    How about alternative #3: What actually happened?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    hmlongco said:
    hmlongco said:
    The alternative is feeding you information someone else wants you to hear. Who wants that?
    How about alternative #3: What actually happened?
    Read the partner article here at AI comparing Apple news and Google News
     The Google version is designed to avoid the echo chamber effect.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    On second thought, this is a non-starter for me. You can only block news sources in the “For You” section of Google News, not the entire app. This means that all kinds of dubious news sources are treated like legitimate journalism.