Here's why adding Face ID to the 'iPhone SE 2' could be a good idea

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    smack416smack416 Posts: 63member
    mavemufc said:
    Here’s why it’s a bad idea, cost.
    There's a simple way to address this: two SE models.

1. iPhone mini (replacing the SE)
    2. iPhone X mini (as an SE premium)

The SE naming convention doesn't work if they intend to continue making ~4" phones. And my hope is that they do intend to continue making phones the size of the SE, because everything from the 6 on up is too big for me.

I'd happily pay a premium for an iPhone X mini (and I know many other people who would as well). I won't buy an iPhone X or iPhone 8. And I won't upgrade from my SE if the screen and front facing camera doesn't improve from the current model. So if they keep the budget SE by dropping in a processor upgrade but not switching out the screen from the 5s, then they're missing out on an entire market of premium small phone buyers if they don't introduce another, premium SE tier.
    mattinoz
  • Reply 42 of 44
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    smack416 said:
    mavemufc said:
    Here’s why it’s a bad idea, cost.
    There's a simple way to address this: two SE models.

1. iPhone mini (replacing the SE)
    2. iPhone X mini (as an SE premium)

The SE naming convention doesn't work if they intend to continue making ~4" phones. And my hope is that they do intend to continue making phones the size of the SE, because everything from the 6 on up is too big for me.

I'd happily pay a premium for an iPhone X mini (and I know many other people who would as well). I won't buy an iPhone X or iPhone 8. And I won't upgrade from my SE if the screen and front facing camera doesn't improve from the current model. So if they keep the budget SE by dropping in a processor upgrade but not switching out the screen from the 5s, then they're missing out on an entire market of premium small phone buyers if they don't introduce another, premium SE tier.
    Simple stop using the naming. The whole iPhone sub-branding is a bit of a mess at the moment and the products poorly differentiated* in the lower end. It's time for a clear out, streamline and have distinctly targeted products that all get a update even if minor every year fitting of a more mature product like the iPhone now is.  

*not as bad as the beleaguered 68k Mac days but getting close enough the powerPC Mac era to warrant attention.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    This technology is no longer cutting edge--it'll be a year old soon.  Pretty soon even knock-offs will have a laughable version of FaceID.  Economies of scale being what they are, the cost of including the feature in every iPhone will be nominal.  Besides, the PR win regarding the adoption rate of FaceID versus other security protocols will pay its own dividends.