New Samsung ad takes shot at Apple over iPhone X notch, battery throttling controversy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    Avieshek said:
    lkrupp said:
    And the really funny thing is this shit hasn’t had one iota of effect on Apple sales or customer satisfaction.
    It will. Even water bend rocks.
    Going with your metaphor, you’ll be long gone before that happens then.  

Seriously, what evidence do you have?
    edited May 2018 bshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 69
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    tokyojimu said:
    My iPhone 6 _is_ so slow, even after a battery replacement. Launching apps often takes 20 seconds. Does that mean I’m gonna buy an S9? I don’t think so. 
    It means something is wrong, mine is not nearly as slow! Did you change the battery on an Apple authorized service provider?

Indeed! I replaced my 27 month old iPhone 6 battery last June. iOS 11 felt pretty fast when it came out. A friend's mom now has the 6 and no problems!
    racerhomie3bshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 69
    I guess Samsung’s ad showcasing their ARemoji or whatever joke of a response to Animoji hasn’t worked out for them.  

Samsung has nothing to work with.  

Android phones have cloned the notch in droves.  

People who would switch due to the battery issue would have done so already, no need for an ad to remind them.  

radarthekatbshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 69
    Gosh, it's almost as if there's a coordination between internet troll posts about these topics and the companies themselves...
    kudubshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 69
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    peterhart said:
    It’s just classless to make blows like that. It’s sad that the only thing Samsung thinks of to try to sell their own products is to bash Apple. Controversies so prevalent that the every day user knows who they are talking about, I would think, make Samsung look worse...not better.
    It is classless, but Apple isn't completely immune. They had their infamous Lemmings commercial. This was especially bad because it wasn't attacking a competitor or a competitor's product, but the customer. At least in the Samsung ad it's framed as the iPhone being the problem, not the user.

In Apple's brilliant Get A Mac campaign, most of their ads never referenced MS, Windows, or any PC vendor directly. They just referred to it as "PC" and the "PC" was dumb, slow, had bloatware, etc. I don't think it was until Windows Vista was a market failure that they started going after that in some ads.

But look where MS was in the market when these came out. It doesn't look dissimilar to Apple's dominating position with the smartphone market. At least Apple made their Get A Mac ads fun.
    peterhart
  • Reply 26 of 69
    kiltedgreenkiltedgreen Posts: 599member
    tokyojimu said:
    My iPhone 6 _is_ so slow, even after a battery replacement. Launching apps often takes 20 seconds. Does that mean I’m gonna buy an S9? I don’t think so. 
    Wow! I just launch Maps on my iPod touch 5th generation and it launched in 7 seconds to a complete loaded map ready to use. You need to get that phone looked at.
    Soliracerhomie3bshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 69
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    tokyojimu said:
    It means you should probably restore your phone as new rather than from a backup.  Also glad to hear no S9 in your future. B)
    Soliradarthekatbshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 69
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Thats low, Apple never made an explosion ad.

Screw Samsung, I'm not buying anything from Samsung ever!
    Same here. Never buy anything from Samsung since 2007 DLP TV, not waher/dryer, refrigerator, microwave oven or a damn memory/hard drive. FCk'em. 
    jmey267radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 69
    Thanks for the FREE Advertising AGAIN Samsung!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 69
    jmey267jmey267 Posts: 57member
    Another dumb ad from the Burger King or Pepsi of cell phones. No matter how hard they try they will still be number 2, literally.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 69
    ericesqueericesque Posts: 28member
    At least iPhone has never been on the No Fly list.  :D
    jmey267radarthekatracerhomie3red oakuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 69
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I find it ironic this is coming from a company who's been fined in Taiwan for paying users to write negative reviews on HTC phones, been caught numerous times cheating on benchmark scores, executives in jail for bribery and other charges, exploding phones, copying Apple, etc. 
    racerhomie3red oakwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 69
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    tokyojimu said:
    Dude . Restore your phone from backup. My aunts 5S & uncle’s 6 Plus , flies after 11.3
    bshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 69
    Avieshek said:
    lkrupp said:
    And the really funny thing is this shit hasn’t had one iota of effect on Apple sales or customer satisfaction.
    It will. Even water bend rocks.
    No . All family members (with 6 Plus)understand what Apple did and they appreciate Apple even more after this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 69
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    jcs2305 said:
    tokyojimu said:
    It means you should probably restore your phone as new rather than from a backup.  
    Doesn't that remedy sound just a little bit familiar? 

Like "just reinstall Windows and it will be okay"...

tokyojimu
  • Reply 36 of 69
    IreneW said:
    jcs2305 said:
    tokyojimu said:
    It means you should probably restore your phone as new rather than from a backup.  
    Doesn't that remedy sound just a little bit familiar? 

Like "just reinstall Windows and it will be okay"...

Lol. Except you don’t need to be a nerd for doing a restore . Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Content & Settings.
  • Reply 37 of 69
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Can someone comment on their experience with testing an iPhone with a marginal battery and turning off the throttling? I'd suspect that in real world use anyone that tries disabling throttling turns it back on very quickly.

Samsung has had more than one ad that makes fun of the notch. But I find it interesting that all of these phones have (or will have) notches: LG G7, iPhone X, Essential Phone, OnePlus 6, Huawei P20 and P20 Pro, Asus ZenFone 5. Perhaps manufacturers find that people actually like having the extra screen space from it? It'll be great when Samsung adds it to their phones.
    bshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 69
    kudukudu Posts: 44member
    And as before, and as it always will, Apple stays its course, unflustered and unflinching, And more pointedly, non-reactive. Unlike Samsung, who’s every move is based on Apple. Samsung’s identity is plain to see in ads luke these. It’s not a matter of Apple not stooping to Samsung’s level, it’s that Apple isn’t going to allow Samsung to bait them into losing focus. That doesn’t mean Apple won’t stand their ground - the court battle is about Apple fighting to stay that course, which includes truth and integrity. My prediction is that the jury will see what each company stands for and that Apple will prevail. 
    bshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 69
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    Soli said:
    peterhart said:
    It’s just classless to make blows like that. It’s sad that the only thing Samsung thinks of to try to sell their own products is to bash Apple. Controversies so prevalent that the every day user knows who they are talking about, I would think, make Samsung look worse...not better.
    It is classless, but Apple isn't completely immune. They had their infamous Lemmings commercial. This was especially bad because it wasn't attacking a competitor or a competitor's product, but the customer. At least in the Samsung ad it's framed as the iPhone being the problem, not the user.

In Apple's brilliant Get A Mac campaign, most of their ads never referenced MS, Windows, or any PC vendor directly. They just referred to it as "PC" and the "PC" was dumb, slow, had bloatware, etc. I don't think it was until Windows Vista was a market failure that they started going after that in some ads.

But look where MS was in the market when these came out. It doesn't look dissimilar to Apple's dominating position with the smartphone market. At least Apple made their Get A Mac ads fun.
    Except those Mac vs PC ads are funny. They poke fun at the competition while the Samsung ad is aiming to more clearly demean the competition. That is a bit different. Not to mention that it’s based on a fake problem while the Mac vs PC ads are based on real problems.

But I don’t really care. I’ve never thought well of Samsung as a company and I don’t expect better from them, so this is just another thing to ad to the long list.
    bshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 69
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Strange that they’re comparing their newest phone to an iPhone 6 that is 4 years old, what a weird weird company, far too obsessed with Apple.
    Soliuraharabshankwatto_cobra