Waze for iPhone gets dash display, voice control in Ford vehicles

Posted:
in iPhone
People using Google's Waze navigation app on the iPhone can now pair it with any Ford vehicle running SYNC 3, giving them not just a mirrored touchscreen interface but access to voice controls.

waze-ford

The feature takes advantage of SYNC AppLink, and requires only that people connect an iPhone with Waze and iOS 11.3 or later. While Waze continues to run on the iPhone, mic and touch controls transfer over to the car.

Waze attempts to find the best route through traffic using crowdsourced data, including driver reports about police, accidents, and construction.

Ford offers a number of vehicles with Apple CarPlay, but CarPlay itself has been bereft of third-party navigation apps. That means that users are dependent on Apple Maps, even if they'd prefer something like Waze.

Most recent Ford models should have access to SYNC 3.

CarPlay first launched in 2014, but was initially slow to pick up automaker support. The technology is becoming increasingly commonplace and even expected, such that makers like Mazda and Toyota have had to concede to demand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Ford will benefit from associating itself with Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    The update actually came out last month, but Waze didn't mention it until the latest update. Technically it's not available on all Ford vehicle's with Sync 3. Some Sync 3 vehicles need the upgraded USB port, which enables CarPlay (you have to disable CarPlay to use Applink). You also need to be on Sync 3 ver 3.0. It's cool Waze paired up with Ford for this, but the way it works isn't very user friendly unfortunately. When you are using Waze, your iPhone becomes useless. Waze always has to be running on the phone. If you minimize the app and make a call for example, Waze disappears. 
    edited May 2018 Solilibertyforallravnorodom
  • Reply 3 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    The update actually came out last month, but Waze didn't mention it until the latest update. Technically it's not available on all Ford vehicle's with Sync 3. Some Sync 3 vehicles need the upgraded USB port, which enables CarPlay (you have to disable CarPlay to use Applink). You also need to be on Sync 3 ver 3.0. It's cool Waze paired up with Ford for this, but the way it works isn't very user friendly unfortunately. When you are using Waze, your iPhone becomes useless. Waze always has to be running on the phone. If you minimize the app and make a call for example, Waze disappears. 
    That sounds like a pain.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Waze:  How about CarPlay?!

Not to mention lock screen NAV Support!!!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member

What about it? Apple doesn't allow navigation spps.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Soli said:
    That sounds like a pain.
    Try having an iPhone and a 2014 Nissan. Android phones can connect wirelessly via Bluetooth to the head unit and basically act as an internet connection for the car, which has some apps built in, albeit not that many. iPhones need to be connected via a USB cable, which according to Nissan is due to restrictions Apple places on Bluetooth profiles on their phones. The USB port on the dash is already occupied by a USB drive with my music collection on it, so we just don't use the internet services for the car. Since I buy a car about once every ten years or so, I'm gonna be dealing with for a while.
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Soli said:
    That sounds like a pain.
    Try having an iPhone and a 2014 Nissan. Android phones can connect wirelessly via Bluetooth to the head unit and basically act as an internet connection for the car, which has some apps built in, albeit not that many. iPhones need to be connected via a USB cable, which according to Nissan is due to restrictions Apple places on Bluetooth profiles on their phones. The USB port on the dash is already occupied by a USB drive with my music collection on it, so we just don't use the internet services for the car. Since I buy a car about once every ten years or so, I'm gonna be dealing with for a while.
    It could be the auto manufacturer as well. I can't use Android Auto in my car via Bluetooth. I have to use one of the USB ports. 
  • Reply 8 of 13
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    nunzy said:
    Ford will benefit from associating itself with Apple.
    It is about Waze - not Apple. If Apple starts its bad logic of reactivating service and looking for nearest WiFi because it suspects that car wa stolen based on some completely wrong pattern then this association will go bad. Now I have expereince with reactivating phone in the middle of nowhere (no public WiFi but cellular perfect) while travelling to foreign country while still trying to do business. That probably did not come as possibility to some people at Apple. Supporting financial business was not possible... especially when you are managing something in it.
    nunzy
  • Reply 9 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    I used to use the Pioneer App Radio head unit which runs iOS apps in-dash complete with touch, and it had support for Waze piped to the display. It was OK, but the moment Waze served up ads along my route, asking me (and requiring me to tap to close) whether I wanted to "Add Best Western to your route?" I was done. Fuck. That. Noise. I don't care how nifty pot-hole warnings from other users are, it's not worth it if I have to dick around w/ ads on the screen while driving.

Hopefully they dont do that anymore.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I used to use the Pioneer App Radio head unit which runs iOS apps in-dash complete with touch, and it had support for Waze piped to the display. It was OK, but the moment Waze served up ads along my route, asking me (and requiring me to tap to close) whether I wanted to "Add Best Western to your route?" I was done. Fuck. That. Noise. I don't care how nifty pot-hole warnings from other users are, it's not worth it if I have to dick around w/ ads on the screen while driving.

I haven't seen any ads using it on Android Auto or Applink with Sync 3 on my iPhone. 
  • Reply 11 of 13
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    Apple will never allow other navigation apps on CarPlay. If they do that, a lot of people would jump ship. I personally like Maps. If only it had decent Search and more reliable roadwork reports. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13

I use Waze daily, multiple times per day.  First, ads have only shown when I'm stopped.  Second, they always go away when I start moving again.  I have never been required to tap to close them.  Ever.

If your experience is different, perhaps you're not at the latest version.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 13 of 13
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member

Not to mention lock screen NAV Support!!!
    Apple is blocking them. They rather have me work with an unsafe U.I that isn't designed for driving, just so they can push people into Apple Maps, the only navigation app that is allowed.

Same with Spotify and Siri. Spotify can't be controlled through Siri because Apple blocks Spotify, so when driving I will need to use touch to play back a song, instead of telling Siri what to do. Very unsafe. Again, Apple is being arrogant, forcing me into Apple Music and not caring about my safety first.

I wish them luck with HomePod. Same Siri restriction. 

Meanwhile competitors are catching up quickly, or already are miles ahead of Apple. A shame.