Apple's North Carolina 'Triangle' campus a 'done deal' if legislation passes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    mrboba1 said:
    You guys are rich. You obviously have no idea what the Research Triangle was, is and was built for, or who lives here. Three major research universities within 25 miles of each other, IBM for 50 years, Cisco, GSK R&D until recently, the EPA for 45 years and about 200 tech/research/CRO companies with about 50,000-75,000 employees. HIghest concentration of PhDs in the country, all because of the research concentration.

"Way back in 2001" - funny. This has been here since the '60s. We have built exactly what we wanted, and it's not some tiny economy or low income.
    Democrat Luther Hodges is widely credited with advancing and establishing the Research Triangle Park. He saw textiles and tobacco were nothing with a bright future. Working with the private sector, they established the park in 1959 and it has blossomed to become an economic engine for the state.

Apple wants a larger presence in other states because it expands their political influence. If Apple has a huge number of high wage employees in the state, you can bet the farm the Senators and Representstives will be looking out for Apple’s interests. That would include nonsense like bathroom bills.

https://www.ncpedia.org/research-triangle-park
    cornchip
  • Reply 22 of 24
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    mrboba1 said:
    "Way back in 2001" - funny. This has been here since the '60s. We have built exactly what we wanted, and it's not some tiny economy or low income.
    I apologise, I didn't know how established it was. And I wasn't trying to be a snob, I love tech and any geographical area that wants to focus on it gets a thumbs up in my book.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    It seems awkward to establish such a generous tax benefit, when Apple would achieve massive PR points by foregoing that. I guess that's finance though.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    In general I'm comfortable with Apple allocating the money, since they do it responsibly. But in this case I question the efficiency. The state taxes would be going to this system that created this research triangle with its massive PhD density. That may not be something that Luca knows how to do.