Commemorate the Royal Wedding with this $4,000 gold iPhone X

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2018
Goldgenie is marking this weekend's wedding of the UK's Prince Harry and actress Meghan Markle by selling a limited-edition iPhone X, one that is encased in 24-karat gold with a commemorative engraving of the couple, priced at just under $4,000.

gold iPhone X royal wedding

The iPhone X Elite is covered in gold around the sides and rear, with each of the 99 handsets individually numbered to show it as part of the limited edition collection. On the back is the etched image of Prince Harry and Markle below the Apple logo.

Aside from the precious metal used for the casing, the rest of the iPhone X is the same as the stock model. While Goldgenie does offer gold-encrusted versions of the iPhone X in both 64 and 256-gigabyte capacities, it is limiting the Royal Wedding commemorative devices to the higher 256-gigabyte model.

The high-priced device is sold in a luxury cherry oak finish presentation box, accompanied by a pair of white EarPods, the USB charging cable, a 5-watt USB power adapter, and its documentation. The company also installs Total Armour Protection on the iPhone X at the factory, intended to keep the iPhone X looking as pristine as possible.

The Gold iPhone X Elite limited-edition Royal Wedding handset is priced at $3964.16, but can be bought with a 50 percent up-front deposit.

There is an alternative option available for those who want to add more sparkle to their iPhone X, with a model that has VS1 brilliant-cut diamonds covering the rear Apple logo. Again, only offered in a 256-gigabyte capacity and limited to 99 devices, the diamond-decorated version costs $4604.18 in total.

Goldgenie has made a name for itself producing gold-decorated versions of various devices. As well as a gold-covered iMac and iPad, it has also produced a gold coffee machine, shoes, and an e-cigarette.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Just really stupid.  The phone itself is beautiful, but come on....who would buy this?
    tallest skilracerhomie3
  • Reply 2 of 23
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    This may be the ugliest iPhone I have ever seen.
    tallest skilSpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 23
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    I like the presentation case…
  • Reply 4 of 23
    timj4mestimj4mes Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I think you'll find that it's Prince Harry, not Prince William, that's getting married. You might want to correct that.
    stantheman
  • Reply 5 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    timj4mes said:
    I think you'll find that it's Prince Harry, not Prince William, that's getting married. You might want to correct that.
    Bah, it’s all the same. The only good monarchy is an absolute monarchy, anyway. 
  • Reply 6 of 23
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Again,  nobody makes any Android phones like this because Android users are way too cheap. They have no class.
    Cesar Battistini Maziero
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    timj4mes said:
    True enough. We even had our resident Brit write it as well. I think he might have royal wedding fatigue.
    Cesar Battistini MazieroGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    MalcolmOwenMalcolmOwen Posts: 28member, editor
    timj4mes said:
    Yes. Yes it is. Apologies. It's being corrected. 
    I blame the media here from banging on about it like it's the most important thing ever. 
    Tomorrow morning, I intend to find a basement and lock myself inside until Monday. Hopefully I can avoid peak nuptials excitement...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    If it didn't have the photo of them on the back.. I dare to say it might have had some buyers.

If this doesn't scream over-the-top luxury and indulgence, I don't know what else it would be.

I bet it'll be a hit with folks living in the UAE.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    jurassicjurassic Posts: 94member
    "a limited-edition iPhone X, one that is encased in 24-karat gold" With a gold metal back, wouldn't that stop the owner from using wireless charging? Also, wouldn't the gold metal interfere with the cellular, wi-fi, and Bluetooth antennas abilities?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    timj4mes said:
    Bah, it’s all the same. The only good monarchy is an absolute monarchy, anyway. 
    Or an overthrown one.  :D
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jurassic said:
    "a limited-edition iPhone X, one that is encased in 24-karat gold" With a gold metal back, wouldn't that stop the owner from using wireless charging? Also, wouldn't the gold metal interfere with the cellular, wi-fi, and Bluetooth antennas abilities?
    Interestingly, the site says that the NFC may not be available on all phones. So far, they haven't responded to our emails about it.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jurassic said:
    Interestingly, the site says that the NFC may not be available on all phones. So far, they haven't responded to our emails about it.
    Gives a whole new meaning to "bricked iPhone".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    $4,000, yikes! Maybe a commerative spoon instead...
  • Reply 15 of 23
    YvLyYvLy Posts: 89member
    Can they do that?????? I mean, are there no copyrights etc that prevents them from doing this?
  • Reply 16 of 23
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I don't think I'll ever understand the obsession with "royalty." I don't really get it with your typical celebrities, but at least I can understand how someone who has an exceptional talent (even if it's just their beauty) was able to lead their field. That at least takes effort and perseverance to succeed as an actor, model, leader of industry, etc., but to be born into the right family is just meh, to me.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 17 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Ok now I remember why I emigrated 30 years ago!
  • Reply 18 of 23
    So bizarre. The typography and etching look atrocious. Who would buy this?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 23
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    timj4mes said:
    Yes. Yes it is. Apologies. It's being corrected. 
    I blame the media here from banging on about it like it's the most important thing ever. 
    Tomorrow morning, I intend to find a basement and lock myself inside until Monday. Hopefully I can avoid peak nuptials excitement...
    Don't forget your gin and tonic.  You'll feel much better.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    jurassic said:
    I don't think anyone who buys this phone would intend to actually use it on a daily basis.   It's a commemorative keepsake and they'd probably be buying it, at least in part, on the basis that its value would rise over the years, although I personally think that would be a risky investment, especially if the couple should divorce in 7 years or so.  

And "Total Armour Protection" sounds like something they apply on car tires at the car wash.  

Gee, I just realized...today is my wedding anniversary.     It didn't stick.   (I guess the batteries died and I look like the screen cracked).