Video: the iPhone X reviewed, six months later

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,247member
    Face ID has been okay for me, but not great. I still mis Touch ID and think having both would be perfect (Touch ID being embedded in the screen).

Touch ID fails more often and is noticeably slower compared to Touch ID. It has been annoying in the car where the phone locks and the only way to unlock is to take it off the holder and look at the phone to unlock or focus on typing the virtual keypad while driving, really not desirable.
    It also introduced a confusing user experience when dealing with landscape and portrait mode, swiping relative to the screen orientation and getting this weird horizontal to vertical orientation issue, whereas with Touch ID it was just a matter of pressing the button.

That said, when it works, it’s absolutely fantastic.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

The only times the notch bothers me is when I'm watching videos in landscape mode,
    This is inaccurate. By default, the notch is still not visible when watching videos in landscape mode. The video does not extend fully to either edge. Only if you’ve double-tapped a video to “zoom in” on it will the notch then become visible, but this is also cropping out the edges of your content on both the left and the right sides...so one typically does not do this. 
    Solibb-15chasmredgeminipalkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 54

78Bandit said:
    nunzy said:
    History will record iPhone X as a breakthrough in consumer tech. It has changed the world forever. The notch alone is now a universal benefit, even for Android.
    OK, I'll bite.  Why is the notch alone a universal benefit outside of being a marketing tool?  If Apple would have limited the cutouts around the FaceID module use to displaying time, signal strength, battery strength, etc. with a black background there would be no "notch" so FaceID can't be the underlying benefit.  What universal utility is gained solely by expanding the app display area to two small ears at the top of the screen?

I'm not against the notch, but it would seem to be neutral at best and even distracting under certain uses like watching a video.
    It's all marketing in my opinion. The notch helps the X be easily recognizable as Apple's most expensive phone ever, and users subconsciously want people to know they can afford Apple's most expensive phone ever, even if they dislike and complain about it. 
    It’s not marketing, it’s engineering. That’s the only reason it exists, and the moment the engineering need subsides it will go away. 
    edited May 2018 radarthekatbb-15chasmredgeminipatmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 54

pte apple said:
    iPhone X - love it.
    Only issue is face ID - I've reset 4x now and it's 50/50 whether my phone will recognize me or not .
    Either your copy is defective, or you’re doing it wrong. Ensure you’re making eye contact at the time of authentication, or that you have that feature disabled if you don’t. 
    redgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 54
    UNCBRANDUNCBRAND Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I love the iPhoneX!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 54
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    DAalseth said:
    oakrrl said:
    The review left out what IMO is the best feature - large screen in small size. Feels just right in my (somewhat small) hand. 
    I don't have one but that is what intrigued me. I like a smaller phone, and just assumed that a five inch screen is what I'd be stuck with. It';s OK, but these old eyes find it a bit difficult to use sometimes. The idea of a larger screen without carrying around a phablet is very enticing. Maybe the next time I upgrade...
    I opted to get the 8+ when I upgraded from my 6.  I hardly notice the size difference between it and the 6, even though it’s clearly much bigger when you look st them in the store (8+ next to 8, for example).  I love the bigger screen of the 8+ without minding at all the larger overall size, and I’d held out with my 6 for a long time because I thought I wouldn’t like the size of the + models.  And now I look forward to an X in the handset size of the + models.  That would truly be an epic smartphone.  Even if it’s an LCD display.  I’ll be near the friont of the line.  
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 54
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    DAalseth said:
    oakrrl said:
    The review left out what IMO is the best feature - large screen in small size. Feels just right in my (somewhat small) hand. 
    I don't have one but that is what intrigued me. I like a smaller phone, and just assumed that a five inch screen is what I'd be stuck with. It';s OK, but these old eyes find it a bit difficult to use sometimes. The idea of a larger screen without carrying around a phablet is very enticing. Maybe the next time I upgrade...
    I opted to get the 8+ when I upgraded from my 6.  I hardly notice the size difference between it and the 6, even though it’s clearly much bigger when you look st them in the store (8+ next to 8, for example).  I love the bigger screen of the 8+ without minding at all the larger overall size, and I’d held out with my 6 for a long time because I thought I wouldn’t like the size of the + models.  And now I look forward to an X in the handset size of the + models.  That would truly be an epic smartphone.  Even if it’s an LCD display.  I’ll be near the friont if the line.  
    It's an interesting phenomenon. Going up from the 4.7" to to the 5.5" doesn't seem that much bigger, but going down to the 4.7" becomes nigh impossible. But it's not just with size, but with technology in general. We can quickly adopt something better, but going something less capable in some regard is often tough. The only opposing example I can think of is playing old video games, so how does nostalgia play into that?
    edited May 2018 redgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 54
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Soli said:
    Maybe this year we'll see the components shrink so the notch can decrease in size, although getting short on the vertical plane could result in a smaller status bar height which may be problematic. At least bringing it in closer so that some of the missing items can come back would be nice. They've certainly designed their UI around the notch not existing in its current form.
    Completely agree.  I see the notch and the components within it shrink more and more as each subsequent model comes out.  Apple has proven time and time again that if anyone can advance mobile tech, it's them.  Perhaps one day the it'll be able to shrink it enough to squeeze it within the outside frame, or come out with whatever future tech that will replace FaceID that's invisible?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 54
    sflocal said:
    Soli said:
    Maybe this year we'll see the components shrink so the notch can decrease in size, although getting short on the vertical plane could result in a smaller status bar height which may be problematic. At least bringing it in closer so that some of the missing items can come back would be nice. They've certainly designed their UI around the notch not existing in its current form.
    Completely agree.  I see the notch and the components within it shrink more and more as each subsequent model comes out.  Apple has proven time and time again that if anyone can advance mobile tech, it's them.  Perhaps one day the it'll be able to shrink it enough to squeeze it within the outside frame, or come out with whatever future tech that will replace FaceID that's invisible?
    There's always the potential for side-by-side pixels for the display and cameras (and sensors). This may not yield a perfect display in that area, but if they could keep it in the Status Bar area which is just black with some simple icons and text, it may not be a bad trade off.

Now, I'm sure someone will have read my previous paragraph and have immediately noted that this trade off will not be so kind once you play a video fullscreen in landscape mode, but I'd argue that's a good trade off if it means you can get rid of the completely display-less area of the notch and that the default mode will still be the same as it is now because going to the vertical edges also means cutting off the corners of the video.

And then there's also behind the display.

If either of these can be employed for the FaceTime camera, the IR camera, light sensor, and other Face ID sensors, the only thing that will need to have a cut out might be the microphone, which could be placed at the edge of the display as the corner rounds at the top (which I think HTC was doing years ago). Although, maybe an array of microscopic perforations (per the patent) could also be used for the microphone, but I also wonder about that getting clogged so I'm guessing that's not going to be included if this tech ever happens unless they can find a way to create a study membrane over those perforations that will still allow sound to pass with ease.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    I love the gorgeous big screen in a smallish format and really like the convenience of face-id, which means I happily accept the trade-off with the ugly notch. It is fast and wireless charging works great.
    My main objection, and something I didn't expect from Apple, is the buggy iOS. Crap, to be honest.
    And though the build quality is fine, this doesn't feel like a $1000 gadget, holding it in your hsnd. It is something with the almost plastic feeling back (compared to some high end Androids and most previous iPhones).
    But overall, best phone I have got.

edited May 2018
  • Reply 31 of 54
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    IreneW said:
    My main objection, and something I didn't expect from Apple, is the buggy iOS. Crap, to be honest.
    And though the build quality is fine, this doesn't feel like a $1000 gadget, holding it in your hsnd. It is something with the almost plastic feeling back (compared to some high end Androids and most previous iPhones).
    But overall, best phone I have got.

Something may be wrong with your install of iOS 11. I've been running with it since it came out on my iPhone 6s, no problems at all (well, there was a bit of a battery drain issue with the initial release but that's long gone now). I have the latest public beta on my iPad, no troubles there either. I've been very pleased with the performance.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 54
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Soli said:
    sflocal said:
    Soli said:
    There's always the potential for side-by-side pixels for the display and cameras (and sensors). This may not yield a perfect display in that area, but if they could keep it in the Status Bar area which is just black with some simple icons and text, it may not be a bad trade off.

Now, I'm sure someone will have read my previous paragraph and have immediately noted that this trade off will not be so kind once you play a video fullscreen in landscape mode, but I'd argue that's a good trade off if it means you can get rid of the completely display-less area of the notch and that the default mode will still be the same as it is now because going to the vertical edges also means cutting off the corners of the video.

And then there's also behind the display.

If either of these can be employed for the FaceTime camera, the IR camera, light sensor, and other Face ID sensors, the only thing that will need to have a cut out might be the microphone, which could be placed at the edge of the display as the corner rounds at the top (which I think HTC was doing years ago). Although, maybe an array of microscopic perforations (per the patent) could also be used for the microphone, but I also wonder about that getting clogged so I'm guessing that's not going to be included if this tech ever happens unless they can find a way to create a study membrane over those perforations that will still allow sound to pass with ease.
    I wonder if it would be possible if a sensor had say 100x100 pixels, to take those 10,000 elements and run them around the border of the whole phone like a string of pearls. I wonder if sensors could be designed that still work when laid out in that configuration?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 54
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,036member
    bill42 said:
    pte apple said:
    iPhone X - love it.
    Only issue is face ID - I've reset 4x now and it's 50/50 whether my phone will recognize me or not .
    This comment stands out. Your phone is most likely defective. Somewhere last week I read that Apple is now officially swapping out some face-ID cameras due to some being defective. It should always work, all the time. Mine works with my bike helmet and sunglasses on, flawlessly. Take yours to the Apple Store.
    Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried to let someone else wear your helmet and sunglasses, to see if they can unlock your iPhone using Face ID?  If they can, then maybe Face ID on your iPhone is not working as "flawlessly" as you think.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,036member
    From its release right up until this month's earnings announcement, analysts have said Apple will discontinue the iPhone X this year due to low sales. While the iPhone X itself might be replaced by new models and not continue for a second year, like the iPhone 7, there is no denying what Apple's premium smartphone has brought to the table.

I never thought that Apple would continue selling the iPhone X for more than a year or 2 as it's a special limited edition of the iPhone. The X in iPhone X stands for the tenth anniversary edition of the iPhone. Just like the 20th anniversary Mac was a limited edition that only sold for a year. If Apple were to sell a new iPhone X this year, wouldn't it be named the iPhone XI for the 11th anniversary edition of the iPhone? I assume that there will eventually be an iPhone 9 and iPhone 10 for the regular line of iPhones. It seem pointless to still be selling a 10th anniversary edition of the iPhone, 3 years from now.  Plus all the feature of the iPhone X will eventually find it's way into the standard line of iPhones.

Unless the "X" in the iPhone X is meant to have double meaning as in "X" for roman numeral ten which stands for the 10th anniversary edition and also "X" as in alphabet letter "X" to differentiate it from the standard line of iPhones that uses an increasing numbering system for each new model. In which case how will Apple differentiate the new iPhone X from the models before it? iPhone 2X? iPhone X2? iPhone XX?  Or maybe the iPhone X will be like the name Macbook or iMac or MacBook Pro or MacBook Air where the year and chip differentiate the model, but the year and chip is not really part of the name.  Every year is a new iPhone X, just like a new iMac or MacBook . 
  • Reply 35 of 54
    As the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus share many of the same features as the iPhone X, what made it so special? There are three reasons for this.

No, there's four.

The iPhone X has a screen with as much real estate as a Plus, in a box only slightly larger than the non-Plus.

For me, this is worth every extra penny. I have a phone that continues to fit in my pocket, while offering a reading area that makes a real difference. I can, once again, use my phone as a reasonable reading device in spite of my aging eyes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 54
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Posts: 555member
    Max: Apple won't be using USB-C as the connector in iOS devices anytime soon, if ever. It's still physically larger than Lightning, and we all know Apple would never switch to something larger, taking up more precious internal space, that offers no real benefit. My 2016 MacBook has USB-C (as we wall know they do), and I truly hate plugging it in. It's cumbersome compared to plugging in a Lightning cable.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 54
    absolutely LOVE the iPhoneX.
    BEST phone ever!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 54
    The iPhone X has a screen with as much real estate as a Plus
    No it doesn't.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    davidw said:
    From its release right up until this month's earnings announcement, analysts have said Apple will discontinue the iPhone X this year due to low sales. While the iPhone X itself might be replaced by new models and not continue for a second year, like the iPhone 7, there is no denying what Apple's premium smartphone has brought to the table.

I never thought that Apple would continue selling the iPhone X for more than a year or 2 as it's a special limited edition of the iPhone. The X in iPhone X stands for the tenth anniversary edition of the iPhone. Just like the 20th anniversary Mac was a limited edition that only sold for a year. If Apple were to sell a new iPhone X this year, wouldn't it be named the iPhone XI for the 11th anniversary edition of the iPhone? I assume that there will eventually be an iPhone 9 and iPhone 10 for the regular line of iPhones.
    1) Has Apple ever referred to it as a special, limited edition iPhone or that the X refers to the 10th anniversary or that it would be sold for a single year?

2) Are you also suggesting they did all that work for the edge-to-edge display and Face ID just to keep it for a year?

3) I see no reason why the iPhone X can't sell at a lower tier after Apple introduces its successor with a similar look (edge-to-edge and Face ID) as the iPhone 11 series (which now includes the Plus).

4) How would you refer to the iPhone and iPhone X when speaking since since the 'X' is pronounced '10'? I can't see any reasonable company making such a silly marketing blunder. The only way I can see the 'X' and '10' existing so close together is if they find a way to reduce the iPhone X's cost to be sold as a lower-tier device but want to isolate the 'X' branding which is inarguably better HW so they name this less replacement the iPhone 10 (kind of like how the iPhone 5c was mostly an iPhone 5), but I honestly don't see that happening.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Soli said:
    The iPhone X has a screen with as much real estate as a Plus
    No it doesn't.
    depends.  IpX has a smaller physical screen than the iP8+, but a higher resolution.  So hmmm....