'Apple Glasses' AR headset could launch in 2021, says Gene Munster

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    volcan said:
    gatorguy said:
    volcan said:
    I don't see many real world practical uses for augmented reality. VR on the other hand could be quite useful for education and training.
    Construction, electronics repair, assembly, equipment diagnostics, medical examinations... 
    Those are all current uses of augmented reality headgear (Yes Google Glass is being used today in enterprise, and there are other competing systems too). VR on the other hand has found little use outside of gaming hasn't it?

I don't see many practical use in the industries you mention. VR is being used for flight, driving, medical, military simulations and other uses. Google "Virtual Reality Simulations" and you'll see many more.
    Ah I had completely forgotten about pilot training, odd considering that's where part of my background comes from. Thanks. 

So if you do a search yourself but use "AR glasses enterprise"...
  • Reply 22 of 26
    tyancytyancy Posts: 85member
    Why would Apple do this? I figure that Google and a couple of other outfits already proved that these gadgets bomb. And they scream the word "dweeb".
  • Reply 23 of 26
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    As noted above, this is the guy who for almost a decade said that Apple would be creating its own television set. He's actually a better analyst on the whole than some, but ... yeah, long-term predictions are very rarely accurate, especially from Gene.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    It’ll be very interesting to try the pictured Magic Leap, once it’s out. It looks to mark a major step forward into AR.
    ’ve tried Holo Lens, and while the tracking is surprisingly accurate, the experience is lame, with this virtual LCD like shiny overlay, at a low resolution, with a very small field of view, and that bandanna visor design. I wouldn’t be surprised if Microsoft was also hard at work with a serious AR headset. One of the most fundamental technologies with AR is probaby 3D tracking and mapping. Microsoft has that working pretty well already. Magic leap has Light Field tech with true depth of field, for a natural integration with what you see.
    Apple has got chip developers, and the production process is shrinking in nanometer increments every year..
    Exciting times ahead.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 26
    CobraGuyCobraGuy Posts: 76member
    2021?

AR will be dead by then.