AppleInsider Podcast talks with artist Author&Punisher, plus Eventide and Teenage Engineer...

Posted:
in General Discussion
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor goes to Moogfest 2018 and meets one of the artists performing there, Author&Punisher. Also, we talk with effects processor maker Eventide and synthesizer maker Teenage Engineering about their products and how they're taking advantage of iOS.

Teenage Engineering's OP-Z synthesizer and the iOS app

AppleInsider editor Victor Marks discusses:

• the use of CNC machined knobs and other kinds of physical controllers to control synthesizers, MIDI, and ableton, with Tristan Shone, the artist behind Author&Punisher
  • How Eventide is using iOS as a controller for their latest effects processor
  • and how Teenage Engineering decided to not include a screen on their latest synthesizer and use iOS instead.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

Show note links: Follow our host on Twitter: @vmarks

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    You should let the Space Javelin guys run your podcast. Your production quality is on the floor, you never announce who your guest are and what they do (in case people want to skip) and never divide the podcast with sounds or announcements. Most things sounds like a very poor recorded land line conversation from 10 years ago. I think having different guest in the show makes the podcast interesting, but if you cant keep up with quality, maybe you should consider releasing the podcast every 2 weeks instead.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bigdobigdo Posts: 19member
    I don’t know what is happening with this podcast behind the scenes but I think it’s time to let it die. If the producers can even bother to release a podcast that is listenable I see no reason for me to keep subscribing. 
  • Reply 3 of 9
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    We can do the same thing every week, and bring you a read-through of the week's current events.

Or, we can go outside our homes, meet people, and interview them. The risks are, anytime we have anyone who is not a regular on, we have a pretty good chance of it being difficult to produce. 

I can't control their mic. I can't control their levels when they're recording on the other side of a VOIP call. I can't control their room. I can't control the noise around them (people, doors, HVAC, traffic).

I used Spire Studio to record this episode. It's a good product - it's got a decent mic in it, it sets levels automatically, and has XLR inputs and phantom power. I can, and do, use RX Audio 6 to treat the audio after that. De-reverb, spectral noise repair to eliminate constant room noise (HVAC), deletion of doors opening and slamming, and more. We're on a strict timeline: record on Thursday, release Friday morning, and editing can be an all-night exercise. On occasions like this, I continue to refine the audio and replace the file. Check your podcast listening app, or refresh the stream. This doesn't help people who have already begun to listen, but it works for those who have yet to.

bigdo said:
    I don’t know what is happening with this podcast behind the scenes but I think it’s time to let it die. If the producers can even bother to release a podcast that is listenable I see no reason for me to keep subscribing. 

"can't even bother" is so insulting. It takes a monumental effort to travel, have recording gear ready, arrange with PR people, talent, and the managers of talent to pin down a time, try and locate a place to record with minimal noise, echo, traffic, and then try and salvage the audio and produce on just a few hours' time with no sleep? There's a huge amount of effort here. I know you don't care, but you don't have to be awful about it. 

Environment is a real problem that has no solution: Everyone thinks their green room, or their decommissioned bank vault with open doors and a kitchen in hearing range will be just fine, because they can hold a conversation in it. Instead, I have to try get a quiet room and deal with people poking their heads in to shout, 'ya'll closed?!' or borrow a hotel room (and why do hotel rooms come with only one chair in a 2x queen room? like only one person can sit?)

gutengel said:
    You should let the Space Javelin guys run your podcast. Your production quality is on the floor, you never announce who your guest are and what they do (in case people want to skip) and never divide the podcast with sounds or announcements. Most things sounds like a very poor recorded land line conversation from 10 years ago. I think having different guest in the show makes the podcast interesting, but if you cant keep up with quality, maybe you should consider releasing the podcast every 2 weeks instead.
    No. No, we shouldn't have them do their show here, it's a different show. No, we shouldn't do the same thing every week, when we can do something special. I can tell you didn't listen to the podcast because we do announce the guests and what they do. No, we aren't moving to an every-other week schedule.

I do it because interviews have the potential to teach us things, to expose us to people you wouldn't otherwise hear from. I believe they're valuable. The tradeoff is the loss of control, and spending hours making it better in post. (It is genuinely better.) Interviews are more difficult to produce than regulars, but they're interesting. A diversity of topics and voices benefits us. That shouldn't "die".

• Reply 4 of 9
    This podcast was the first one I subscribed to and I have loved it since I first heard it, more than any other. Will the future emphasis be on interviews or news? I hope the majority of it will focus on news with less interviews.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    This podcast was the first one I subscribed to and I have loved it since I first heard it, more than any other. Will the future emphasis be on interviews or news? I hope the majority of it will focus on news with less interviews.
    Still primarily news, with periodic interviews as events warrant.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Primarily news, with interviews on occasion. Interviews will always be set with the intention of talking technology and how it intersects with what they're doing.

For example, interviews recorded this week, in the can as yet unreleased:

Gareth Jones and Nick Hook, who use Logic to record acts - but they got off on retro tech. Can't be helped, sometimes the conversation takes turns, and as interviewer, I'd follow those threads rather than pushing the conversation back to strictly, "how do you use Apple products."

Sometimes, we have interviews that go so far from tech, it's hard to run them. I have an excellent interview with Moor Mother, a musician who uses iPad-only as her instrument. We sat down and she talked 30 minutes about her social justice and community works in Philadelphia, and spent 5 minutes on iPad. I loved it. I haven't run it, because I was afraid of your response. I mean that: I really take to heart what you think.

Steven Ellison, who has made a theater / arena sound stage that attempts to make every place in the hall perfect for listening, rather than one sweet spot as in the past. We compared this to HomePod and talked about how he's using Macs and iPads to run and control it for live spatial sound.

VA Tech ICAT team who are working on the same, but for recorded environs rather than live sound.

If you strongly object to the once-a-year occasion at Moogfest where we bring in the intersection of music and tech / Apple, I apologize.
    If you strongly object to the interviews we do in January at CES, again, I apologize. 
    If you object to bringing in the head designer of Belkin, as we did a few weeks ago, I'm sorry.

I thought all these things were an attempt to do more than just cover the news, but inform and give something special that we can refer to as background for the news in the future, or just be useful and informative on their own.

• Reply 7 of 9
    I want to reassure you, 

I'm not going to release all these unrecorded interviews in one go after the show. They'll roll out over time, back to news next week.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I think it's a great podcast and some people are being pretty unreasonable. Most of the time the quality is great, and like you mentioned in your post, you can't control for other peoples' environments, and I doubt you have a studio (or the funds) to bring them all out to you. People who are saying you don't announce things seem like they have never listened to the podcast at all - I don't recall a single time that you haven't announced your guest properly, and I've listened to all of them (in addition to being on this website for years now). I think the only time I didn't like listening was when someone couldn't stop snacking into the mic :P

Yes, there are times that I'm not so interested in the interviews and I like the news better - even if it is a rehash of the weeks events, I like hearing you guys give a personal perspective to it and banter about it. But the interviews are great sometimes and you can't find a topic everyone will love all the time.

So overall, great job! Haters gonna hate, I guess. But you've got some fans out there, too.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I think it's a great podcast and some people are being pretty unreasonable. Most of the time the quality is great, and like you mentioned in your post, you can't control for other peoples' environments, and I doubt you have a studio (or the funds) to bring them all out to you. People who are saying you don't announce things seem like they have never listened to the podcast at all - I don't recall a single time that you haven't announced your guest properly, and I've listened to all of them (in addition to being on this website for years now). I think the only time I didn't like listening was when someone couldn't stop snacking into the mic :P
    you can't see it through your screen, but I am facepalming and ashamed at that memory. Another thing I couldn't control for, but could have stopped the recording and waited.

Yes, there are times that I'm not so interested in the interviews and I like the news better - even if it is a rehash of the weeks events, I like hearing you guys give a personal perspective to it and banter about it. But the interviews are great sometimes and you can't find a topic everyone will love all the time.

So overall, great job! Haters gonna hate, I guess. But you've got some fans out there, too.

Thank you!
    edited May 2018