AOC debuts MacBook-compatible 15.6-inch USB-C monitor

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited May 2018
Display maker AOC is rolling out a new 15.6-inch portable USB-C monitor, allowing MacBook and MacBook Pro owners to provide power and the video signal to the display through a single cable.

aoc-usbc-monitor

The I1601FWUX only scales up to 1,920-by-1,080 pixels -- below Apple's "Retina" level -- but is also just 8.5 millimeters thick, and weighs less than 1.8 pounds. In keeping with the USB-C standard, video is carried via a DisplayPort signal.

The screen is an IPS panel with 160-degree viewing angles, and a 5-millisecond response time. A Low Blue Light mode can be activated to reduce eye strain or sleep better at night.

For protection when traveling the monitor has a metal back and a bundled "smart" cover. The latter turns into a display holder, working in both landscape and portrait views.

aoc-usbc-monitor

The retail price on the AOC I1601FWUX 15.6-inch USB-C monitor is $199.99. At present, it is available in the U.S. for $195.85 on Amazon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Display maker AOC is rolling out a new 15.6-inch portable USB-C monitor, allowing MacBook owners to connect power and video through a single cable.

Power from the display to the computer. 

The monitor has a battery inside it and can both power the monitor and the laptop?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tht said:
    Display maker AOC is rolling out a new 15.6-inch portable USB-C monitor, allowing MacBook owners to connect power and video through a single cable.

Power from the display to the computer. 

The monitor has a battery inside it and can both power the monitor and the laptop?
    The other direction, I’d assume. USB-C allows for up to 100W (I think) which means you can plug in this monitor to send power from the PC to the monitor.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 3 of 18
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    This is a USB Monitor that requires DisplayLink drivers.
    It isn't an HDMI monitor.

So will it work?

Mac OS High Sierra knocked out USB Monitors. We have been waiting months for new drivers to be compatible.

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/macos

---

Also, this is a Full HD Monitor (if it can show 16 million colors - not all can do this. The top end GeChic  monitor only shows 230,000 colors).

The good part - if it works - is that you won't need a new cable to use this with new Macs. You just need a USB-C Cable.

edited May 2018
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    This is a USB Monitor that requires DisplayLink drivers.
    It isn't an HDMI monitor.

So will it work?

Mac OS High Sierra knocked out USB Monitors. We have been waiting months for new drivers to be compatible.

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/macos

Beta 4 of the DisplayLink drivers was released last week. While not perfect, you can use an external USB display again.

This monitor uses USB-C alt mode, and does not need the DisplayLink drivers. FTA: "In keeping with the USB-C standard, video is carried via a DisplayPort signal."
    edited May 2018 fastasleepcaladanian
  • Reply 5 of 18
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    No speakers of any sort make it a non-starter for me. I don't want more cables and stuff on my desk.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    I think it looks great. But what is the advantage of using USB-C rather than DisplayPort/Thunderbolt or HDMI? And could one use it with a Mac Mini?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    wozwoz said:
    I think it looks great. But what is the advantage of using USB-C rather than DisplayPort/Thunderbolt or HDMI? And could one use it with a Mac Mini?
    1) There's no cabling advantage other than power supplied from the host device.
    2) Not at present. There's no way to get a powered USB-C signal with alt mode for the DisplayPort signal that the monitor expects from a Thunderbolt 2 device.

To be clear about this, this is a news item. We aren't endorsing the monitor, just pointing out that it exists.

edited May 2018 caladanianAlex1Nwozwoz
  • Reply 8 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Must resist urge to complain about the poor quality of the Apple Cinema Display in a tangentially-related thread...

I wonder what powering this thing directly from your laptop does to the battery life, though I guess if you’re somewhere that can fit both your laptop and this display in front of you, you’re also somewhere that your laptop can be plugged in.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 9 of 18
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    What would people use this for? Just more space for palettes when using Logic or FCPX?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    volcan said:
    What would people use this for? Just more space for palettes when using Logic or FCPX?
    Probably the same reason why I'm typing this to you on a second monitor attached to my MacBook Pro. Just more workspace.
    curtis hannahAlex1N
  • Reply 11 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    volcan said:
    It’s probably the largest display that can currently be powered from just a Thunderbolt port. At least, the largest by the current design and style of displays. Proof of concept, maybe? 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 12 of 18
    volcan said:
    Probably the same reason why I'm typing this to you on a second monitor attached to my MacBook Pro. Just more workspace.
    I never was a big fan of an extra monitor to the side, even on a desktop. Bad ergonomics. I like the main workspace directly in front of me at the perfect eye level. Bad ergonomics is something I'm always concerned about when using my MBP on a business trip or vacation. With the laptop just sitting on a table your posture gets all slouched over. Often I go to the hotel or admiral's lounge business centers and plug my Mac into one of the monitors and keyboards there and they usually have better chairs too.
    edited May 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 13 of 18
    volcan said:
    It’s probably the largest display that can currently be powered from just a Thunderbolt port. At least, the largest by the current design and style of displays. Proof of concept, maybe? 
    No way. I think USB-C can support at least one 4K along with a couple 1080s at the same time.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 14 of 18
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    I wonder what powering this thing directly from your laptop does to the battery life, though I guess if you’re somewhere that can fit both your laptop and this display in front of you, you’re also somewhere that your laptop can be plugged in.
    Based on the MBP15, which advertises about 10 hrs with a 70 WHr battery, probably 5 W at medium brightness. Intel’s active idle enables the CPU to average less than 2 W for most lightweight tests.

The rest is just math. It would reduce the runtime of a MBP15 to about 70/12 ~= 5 to 6 hours, or 40 to 50%. Only gets worse with MBP13 and MB12.

It has to be one of those situations like being at a camp or conference type of thing. Maybe a quick one hours of work at a library or coffee shop, maybe airport?
    curtis hannahtallest skil
  • Reply 15 of 18
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    jimh2 said:
    No speakers of any sort make it a non-starter for me. I don't want more cables and stuff on my desk.
    The speakers are in your MacBook. ¯\(°_o)/¯ 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 16 of 18
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    tht said:
    Based on the MBP15, which advertises about 10 hrs with a 70 WHr battery, probably 5 W at medium brightness. Intel’s active idle enables the CPU to average less than 2 W for most lightweight tests.

The rest is just math. It would reduce the runtime of a MBP15 to about 70/12 ~= 5 to 6 hours, or 40 to 50%. Only gets worse with MBP13 and MB12.

It has to be one of those situations like being at a camp or conference type of thing. Maybe a quick one hours of work at a library or coffee shop, maybe airport?
    Hotel room.  On many field assignments we take measurements during the day and process the data at night back in our rooms.

or in my case, edit the software based on what we need.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 17 of 18
    volcan said:
    Typically, these things are used by road warrior types. Large amounts of travel, working at remote jobsites or hotel rooms, where lugging a conventional external monitor is cumbersome.

When I travelled more, I used my iPad and Duet Display for a while for the same purpose. I'd be doing work that really is helped with dual monitors, but be able to carry them both easily in my laptop bag.

As long as it's not a DisplayLink product, which it doesn't appear to be, this could be helpful for my MBP and Surface Book
  • Reply 18 of 18
    ZumoneyZumoney Posts: 1member
    I'm glad I stumbled here, been trying to figure out if these monitor will be a simple plug and play w the MacBook thunderbolt 3 ports before picking up one. Thanks you all.