Apple to sell third-party streaming service subscriptions through 'TV' app, report says

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    mcdave said:
    mcdave said:

Tim got it wrong, the future of TV isn’t Apps, it was always services.  The app-per-channel model has provided a fragmented, inconsistent UX that’s not what I’ve come to expect from Apple.
    Have you not used the TV app? It provides a unified front for browsing content from multiple channels/apps, and the UX for watching new and next episodes couldn’t be easier. That there are separate apps becomes secondary. 
    I have but it’s not available globally like Siri (I’m in NZ)

It does unify but it still hands off to the App which could be cleaner.  We have some smaller content providers here (& I suspect the world over) who could do with not writing their own apps (even if they haven’t worked that out yet).
    There's also the issue that the TV app doesn't work reliably. It CONSTANTLY shows stuff we've already watched, displaying it as only half viewed. With TV series we've purchased on iTunes, Up Next frequently shows the last episode we watched rather than the next unwatched episode. Add the fact that Netflix titles aren't included at all, and the result is that the TV app use isn't very useful. It could be, but it isn't at the moment.

I just realized the other day that the TV app is fully aware of media I stream from my Mac mini media server to Infuse on the ATV. I had no idea. So if I watch a DVD rip I made of say Kids in the Hall, it’ll show the next episode in the suggestions with the variety of links of where to buy from (but not my own collection via Infuse, unfortunately). I am kinda wondering if this is intentional to get torrenters to go legit, or what.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    mcdave said:
    mcdave said:

Tim got it wrong, the future of TV isn’t Apps, it was always services.  The app-per-channel model has provided a fragmented, inconsistent UX that’s not what I’ve come to expect from Apple.
    Have you not used the TV app? It provides a unified front for browsing content from multiple channels/apps, and the UX for watching new and next episodes couldn’t be easier. That there are separate apps becomes secondary. 

It does unify but it still hands off to the App which could be cleaner.  We have some smaller content providers here (& I suspect the world over) who could do with not writing their own apps (even if they haven’t worked that out yet).
    There's also the issue that the TV app doesn't work reliably. It CONSTANTLY shows stuff we've already watched, displaying it as only half viewed. With TV series we've purchased on iTunes, Up Next frequently shows the last episode we watched rather than the next unwatched episode. Add the fact that Netflix titles aren't included at all, and the result is that the TV app use isn't very useful. It could be, but it isn't at the moment.

I just realized the other day that the TV app is fully aware of media I stream from my Mac mini media server to Infuse on the ATV. I had no idea. So if I watch a DVD rip I made of say Kids in the Hall, it’ll show the next episode in the suggestions with the variety of links of where to buy from (but not my own collection via Infuse, unfortunately). I am kinda wondering if this is intentional to get torrenters to go legit, or what.
    Every aspect of the 4th gen and 4K Apple TV favours cloud-based/streaming content. I have a huge library of rips on a Mac mini dedicated to home theatre duty, and those titles don't even show up in searches on the Apple TV. It's more than a little disappointing.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 43 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Every aspect of the 4th gen and 4K Apple TV favours cloud-based/streaming content. I have a huge library of rips on a Mac mini dedicated to home theatre duty, and those titles don't even show up in searches on the Apple TV. It's more than a little disappointing.
    To clarify, are you using the Mac Mini to serve the content through iTunes and the “Computer” button on the Apple TV?
  • Reply 44 of 50
    To clarify, are you using the Mac Mini to serve the content through iTunes and the “Computer” button on the Apple TV?
    Yup. The ol' standard Home Share setup.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 45 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Well, that’s infuriating. What’s the point of even having search, then? Rather, what’s the point of even buying a 4th gen Apple TV? First it’s iCloud Drive, which can’t search within documents at all; then it’s Spotlight, which refuses to search inside RTFD files, and now the Apple TV won’t search connected libraries. Is Apple conditioning us to accept a complete lack of ecosystem connectivity?
  • Reply 46 of 50
    Well, that’s infuriating. What’s the point of even having search, then? Rather, what’s the point of even buying a 4th gen Apple TV? First it’s iCloud Drive, which can’t search within documents at all; then it’s Spotlight, which refuses to search inside RTFD files, and now the Apple TV won’t search connected libraries. Is Apple conditioning us to accept a complete lack of ecosystem connectivity?
    I don't know, but I do know that my experience with the 4K made me think about whether or not the ecosystem is still a viable reason for us to remain an all-Apple home. That thought never entered my mind before. It's probably because I had a hard time justifying the cost of the thing when I bought it, so when it turned out to be a let-down it was a double annoyance.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    mcdave said:
    mcdave said:

They’ve been slowly expanding which apps can use search. My hope is they eventually open it up to third party DLNA streaming software like Infuse. My point though is that the TV app is actually aware of what I watched on Infuse, streaming from the mini via Serviio, which was completely unexpected — and might even be a precusor to being supported in search. 
  • Reply 48 of 50
    mcdave said:
    mcdave said:

They’ve been slowly expanding which apps can use search. My hope is they eventually open it up to third party DLNA streaming software like Infuse. My point though is that the TV app is actually aware of what I watched on Infuse, streaming from the mini via Serviio, which was completely unexpected — and might even be a precusor to being supported in search. 
    That's interesting, because Home Share content (the stuff on the dedicated Mac mini) does NOT show up in "Up Next" and that's Apple's own system!
  • Reply 49 of 50
    I hope this new subscription service, which is a great idea, does not mean that Apple will not create its own servoce bundles to include Apple Music, ITunes Movies and TV, books, cloud storage, etc.  i have been pushing this idea for several years and a number of “responsible analysts” have also endorsed the idea.  For the life of me, i cannot understand why Apple just doesn’t do it.  It will not prevent them from doing this Apple TV subscription service, or streaming its own original content. They are all different but together would pack a powerful punch. I love Apple but it really is time for Eddy Cue to go and be replaced by new blood.  

As ro those complaining about Apple getting a cut from third parties, i agree with so many others: don’t buy it. Get it on your own.