Apple confirms WWDC 2018 keynote for June 4 at 10 a.m.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2018
Apple on Tuesday issued press invitations to this year's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, scheduled for June 4 at 10 a.m. at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose.

WWDC 2018 invite

The company hasn't said what will happen during the keynote, but the company typically showcases upcoming versions of iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS, presented by key development staff as well as executives like CEO Tim Cook and marketing head Phil Schiller.

During the rest of WWDC, running through June 8, Apple will host over 100 technical and design-focused sessions presented by Apple engineers. Hands-on labs will guide developers through new features, directly from the engineers who helped build the latest advances in Apple platforms.

The company could also use the keynote to announce new hardware. Most likely is a refresh of the iPad Pro line, removing a home button and switching the devices from Touch ID to Face ID. Last year's refresh also occurred in June.

New MacBook Pro models are rumored, but would lack the Intel chip required to have a 32GB model without compromises. Another possibility is an "iPhone SE 2," but rumors have varied widely on features and a release date. Some have put a launch as soon as this month, others as late as September.

The company might also tease upgrades to Siri, and a rumored smaller, low-cost HomePod. As few as 600,000 full-size HomePods may have been sold in the March quarter, their $349 pricetag likely being a contributing factor.

AppleInsider will be at the keynote, and will have full coverage of any product announcements made.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    God I hope that banner is a hint at post hyper-flat UIs. 

Microsofts Fluent looks great, love to see Apples take on that with depth and shading. 

doozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 34
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I'm just wondering what they'll call the next version of macOS? 
  • Reply 3 of 34
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    Embarrassing so, I’m feeling a lot like tech pundits—Siri, all most certainly, will not get the substantial update needed to be technologically relevant. Feeling extremely pessimistic, Siri might devolve into Clippy the office assistant. Damn I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. 
    wlym
  • Reply 4 of 34
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    A CNBC reporter yesterday asked Siri about WWDC and her reply was: “I don’t want to brag, but I’m getting a lot smarter.” I then asked my iPhone, hey Siri tell me about the WWDC. “I’m gonna have a shiny new home! well, not really shiny, more messy and matte...” When I queried her some more she was more coy. Nothing reportable. So perhaps only one tease per user.
    doozydozenwlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    macxpress said:
    Well, after the cats didn’t they announce that future versions would reflect California landmarks? Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, one could put 2+2 together and guess another mountain? Or maybe Redwood, or Sequoia, or Monterey Bay, or Bodega Bay, or Randy’s Donuts? macOS 10.14.0 Randy’s Donuts. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

edited May 2018 doozydozenmacxpresswlymwatto_cobrachasm
  • Reply 6 of 34
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    macxpress said:
    If Apple sticks to the theme of popular places in California, I would call it macOS Sequoia. 
    watto_cobrachasm
  • Reply 7 of 34
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Always look forward to this keynote. Hoping that we hear things about all the "kits" being dramatically improved. Tons of opportunity as the kits evolve. Creates a very sticky environment.
    watto_cobrachasm
  • Reply 8 of 34
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    tipoo said:

Microsofts Fluent looks great, love to see Apples take on that with depth and shading. 

Fluent presents well, but all these half-steps MS has been taking to implement it has really given it an awful perception. In the current version of windows 10 the pieces that are in there just look disjointed and bad. Fall update is where it will maybe start to come together, but as of right now I would rather just turn it off than look at it.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 9 of 34
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,686member
    Sequoia would get my vote.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Looking forward to it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 34
    mpw_amherstmpw_amherst Posts: 563member
    Wonder if that invite and the Siri responses suggest the iOS redesign is coming this year after all?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 34
    smack416smack416 Posts: 63member
    Folio said:
    A CNBC reporter yesterday asked Siri about WWDC and her reply was: “I don’t want to brag, but I’m getting a lot smarter.” I then asked my iPhone, hey Siri tell me about the WWDC. “I’m gonna have a shiny new home! well, not really shiny, more messy and matte...” When I queried her some more she was more coy. Nothing reportable. So perhaps only one tease per user.
    Given this phrasing leads to this response with a link below to a WWDC 2017 page, isn’t that just a reference to last year’s updates around translation, music, etc. If you ask about WWDC 2018, there’s no hinting, just this year’s conference details.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,321member
    Can’t wait for the animoji watch bands!
    doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 34
    pbone15pbone15 Posts: 3member
    My wallet is open for a new Mac Mini and that bezel-less iPad Pro with faceID 🤞
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 34
    macxpress said:
    If Apple sticks to the theme of popular places in California, I would call it macOS Sequoia. 
    I kinda like macOS Redwood too, but yeah I also like macOS Sequoia. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 34

Embarrassing so, I’m feeling a lot like tech pundits—Siri, all most certainly, will not get the substantial update needed to be technologically relevant. Feeling extremely pessimistic, Siri might devolve into Clippy the office assistant. Damn I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. 
    Whatever Apple does with Siri, there will be folks/publications that will pick it apart and make the conclusion that it still sucks no matter what Apple does with Siri. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    There are rumors being floated now, possibly from Apple PR, that Siri will see a major upgrade. I am ready and willing to be convinced.
    doozydozenpte applewatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 34
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    smack416 said:
    Folio said:
    Given this phrasing leads to this response with a link below to a WWDC 2017 page, isn’t that just a reference to last year’s updates around translation, music, etc. If you ask about WWDC 2018, there’s no hinting, just this year’s conference details.
    You may be right. The CNBC guy updated his story, saying the Loop suggested it was 2017. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/21/siri-upgrade-ios-12-wwdc-2018.html?__source=yahoo|finance|headline|story|&par=yahoo&yptr=yahoo.   When I did it yesterday, my link went to 2018, and one of my followups Siri said "What's not going to happen at WWDC." (Siri said "more meshy" not messy, btw in my prior note above.) Today, I asked question and Siri is tightlipped. Hard to trust any robot rumor reportage yet, which may be why AI passed on the story.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    tipoo said:

I doubt it. More likely has to do with a continued push into A.R. - All are 3D objects placed on or above a surface.
    doozydozenradarthekat
  • Reply 20 of 34
    How about an updated Mac mini? And please do not seal this one shut.
    SpamSandwich