Starbucks app ahead of Apple Pay in U.S. mobile payment user adoption

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68

Here in Canada, we have broad support for Apple Pay, but I've only used it once in the past year. Maybe pulling out the wallet that's always with me is a hard habit to break?

Now if only we could load our driver's license onto our phones and have that be valid ID, then we're talking! That's pretty much what keeps my wallet with me at all times. Payment cards are secondary.
    I find that even after trying to use Apple Pay, you are still prompted sometimes to insert your chip card and and enter the PIN. Likely a security feature by the banks or M/C. If you are going to be occasionally prompted to insert your card, you may as well just keep using it to pay. I like Apple Pay because it never uses your real card number, but having to still insert your card sometimes makes it a bit of a hassle since you never know if you're going to need your card.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    urashidurashid Posts: 127member
    sonnybb said:
    urashid said:
    jmey267 said:
    Um so Apple is the leader in mobile pay not Starbucks. I cant use my Starbucks app to pay at my drug store or any other store other than Starbucks. This is kinda of a stupid comparison, no?
    There can be multiple ways of defining the "leader."  This article is comparing active users, saying there are more active users of Starbucks payment app than Apple Pay.  This is remarkable considering Starbucks app can only be used at Starbucks stores while Apple Pay is accepted at a gazillion locations.

Personally, I have only used Apple Pay once in the last 12 month, and that too at the insistence of the checkout guy at Apple Store.  I get no extra benefit by using Apple Pay over my credit card, while with Starbucks app I get to skip the wait, earn free drinks, etc.
    Well if you don’t understand the security benefits of Apple Pay versus regular credit card, of course you won’t used it.
    Enlighten me, please.  You may not realize it, but the security benefit is really for the banks.  In forty-plus years of using credit cards, I have never once had to pay a single penny for a fraudlent charge on my card.  Covering losses is part of the reason why the banks levy their fees on merchants.

And I don't begrudge the benefit to the banks.  But if they want me to carry the burden of protecting them, I want to be compensated for it.  No free lunch for the banks.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    cmfcmf Posts: 66member
    Soli said:
    1) Not surprising at this time. If you use Apple Pay and you go to Starbucks you're probably using the app to both pre-order and to reload your card on the app via Apple Pay. Those points add up.

2) I doubt their growth is sustainable, but *Pay adoption will continue to grow as vendors accept Apple Pay (or vendors realize they've been able to accept Apple Pay ever since the got a chip card reader).
    Regarding #1, Apple Pay has had the ability to deal with loyalty cards for some time now, so the question deserves to be asked. Is the attachment to the rewards system keeping Starbucks from integrating more directly with the system? Starbucks cards can already be loaded, so I wonder if they just would prefer people spend time in their app, not just use it when paying for things.

A single source for all cards (Wallet's intended purpose from Day 1 seems like a win to me. Merchants give up some control, but it isn't immediately obvious that there is something they can't do because it's outside their app.

Confused.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    applericappleric Posts: 40member
    I use Apple Pay to load my Starbucks Member Card so I can use the loyalty program. Comparing these 2 payment solutions doe snot make sense. Any regular Starbucks customer most likely uses their Starbucks card, to get points (stars) - So, if I used ApplePay to may for my drink, I'd not get the loyalty stars, right?
    mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 68
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    urashid said:
    sonnybb said:
    urashid said:
    jmey267 said:
    Um so Apple is the leader in mobile pay not Starbucks. I cant use my Starbucks app to pay at my drug store or any other store other than Starbucks. This is kinda of a stupid comparison, no?
    There can be multiple ways of defining the "leader."  This article is comparing active users, saying there are more active users of Starbucks payment app than Apple Pay.  This is remarkable considering Starbucks app can only be used at Starbucks stores while Apple Pay is accepted at a gazillion locations.

Personally, I have only used Apple Pay once in the last 12 month, and that too at the insistence of the checkout guy at Apple Store.  I get no extra benefit by using Apple Pay over my credit card, while with Starbucks app I get to skip the wait, earn free drinks, etc.
    Well if you don’t understand the security benefits of Apple Pay versus regular credit card, of course you won’t used it.
    Enlighten me, please.  You may not realize it, but the security benefit is really for the banks.  In forty-plus years of using credit cards, I have never once had to pay a single penny for a fraudlent charge on my card.  Covering losses is part of the reason why the banks levy their fees on merchants.

And I don't begrudge the benefit to the banks.  But if they want me to carry the burden of protecting them, I want to be compensated for it.  No free lunch for the banks.
    I would argue that its also for the end user. Its such a pain in the ass for everyone when credit card information get compromised and/or used without authorization by the cardholder. Yes, of course it helps banks/credit unions but it also helps the cardholder as well. Maybe you don't pay a penny with fraudulent charges, but that doesn't mean its not a pain in the ass to have to call the bank, sort it out, close the card out, wait for a new card, figure out another payment method in the meantime, etc. ApplePay makes it so this isn't so much of an issue anymore. If we can get to a point where the physical card doesn't need to be in your pocket all the time it will be even better, or that a physical card doesn't even need to be made for the cardholder even better yet. 
    baconstangtjwolfjmey267watto_cobraroundaboutnow
  • Reply 26 of 68
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    In order to partake in the Rewards program, you must use their card/app. As others stated, I do use Apple Pay to reload my Starbucks card.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 68
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    Comparing the two is a bit like saying more phones run Android than iOS.  Who cares?  Apple takes 86% of the phone industry profit.
    nunzywatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 68
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I'm completely sold on ApplePay.  It's the first thing I look for now when I enter a place of business.  The less times I have to pull out my physical credit card and hand it to someone (increasing my chances of my CC# being stolen) the better.  

What I REALLY want is the big gas companies (Chevron, Shell, Unocal, BP) to install ApplePay at the pumps.  That will be huge and I believe will make a huge impact in the reduction of credit card fraud.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 68
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Comparing the two is a bit like saying more phones run Android than iOS.  Who cares?  Apple takes 86% of the phone industry profit.
    Apple takes most of the profit in every industry they participate in.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Anyone who gets, as I have, that dreaded “we’re replacing your card because a store you use got itself hacked” letter immediately should see the superiority of the anonymous token system of Apple Pay. It just happened to me AGAIN, since what with gas stations I can’t go totally cardless. And I definitely choose stores based on who accepts ApplePay for my repetitive business especially such as groceries. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 68
    appleric said:
    I use Apple Pay to load my Starbucks Member Card so I can use the loyalty program. Comparing these 2 payment solutions doe snot make sense. Any regular Starbucks customer most likely uses their Starbucks card, to get points (stars) - So, if I used ApplePay to may for my drink, I'd not get the loyalty stars, right?
    You could, just like with cash you’d just have to scan your rewards card. 
  • Reply 32 of 68
    sflocal said:
    I'm completely sold on ApplePay.  It's the first thing I look for now when I enter a place of business.  The less times I have to pull out my physical credit card and hand it to someone (increasing my chances of my CC# being stolen) the better.  

What I REALLY want is the big gas companies (Chevron, Shell, Unocal, BP) to install ApplePay at the pumps.  That will be huge and I believe will make a huge impact in the reduction of credit card fraud.
    I was just down in Tennessee and there Marathon pumps had an ApplePay sticker, I didn’t see a scanner and was in a hurry so I didn’t explore: my guess was I’d have had to go into the store to prepay as I would had I used cash. A start but I’m sure eager for ApplePay at the pump!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 68
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    rob53 said:
    Soli said:
    rob53 said:
    Soli said:
    1) Not surprising at this time. If you use Apple Pay and you go to Starbucks you're probably using the app to both pre-order and to reload your card on the app via Apple Pay. Those points add up.

2) I doubt their growth is sustainable, but *Pay adoption will continue to grow as vendors accept Apple Pay (or vendors realize they've been able to accept Apple Pay ever since the got a chip card reader).
    I keep telling merchants this but it’s the owners that don’t want to do anything about it. I guess it’s too technical for them. 
    Get three stickers that Apple gives out and then give them the stickers or just start putting on the doors/windows and registers of those that take Apple Pay.
    I have told them they can get a free sheet if stickers from Apple but most haven’t the faintest idea what I’m trying to do with my phone even though android phones can do similar payment techniques so it’s not just Apple Pay they don’t understand. 
    It work worth that. It may never even work if you give them decals. You may to put them on yourself.
    nunzywatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 68
    mike1 said:
    In order to partake in the Rewards program, you must use their card/app. As others stated, I do use Apple Pay to reload my Starbucks card.
    Scan your rewards card then pay with ApplePay would work much like scanning the card and paying with cash does now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 68
    One merchant, selling one type of product, should not be beating ApplePay in use.
    They have a store on every block with a huge number of repeat customers all making small payments and wanting to get rewards for a purchase. While I use Apple Pay to reload my Starbucks card, that's just one use for a reload compared to about 10-12 uses with their rewards card until I need to reload again.

I can currently shop in a day with only using Apple Pay, and that is only going to be a handlful of times. If you added up the dollar values, not the number of transactions, my Apple Pay usage is considerably higher than with Starbuck, but sure, go ahead and say it's a completely failure.
    nunzywatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 68
    cmf said:
    Soli said:

Regarding #1, Apple Pay has had the ability to deal with loyalty cards for some time now, so the question deserves to be asked. Is the attachment to the rewards system keeping Starbucks from integrating more directly with the system? Starbucks cards can already be loaded, so I wonder if they just would prefer people spend time in their app, not just use it when paying for things.

A single source for all cards (Wallet's intended purpose from Day 1 seems like a win to me. Merchants give up some control, but it isn't immediately obvious that there is something they can't do because it's outside their app.

Confused.
    A loyalty card in Wallet will not allow you to setup orders and make a purchase that you can puck up 2-8 minutes later simply by walking into the store and looking for your name. This feature allows for orders to be less likely misunderstood, gets you to the front of the line (even ahead of the person at the register ordering), and saves you precious time on a given day. What's so confusing about that?
    cmfnunzy
  • Reply 37 of 68
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    The biggest factor in my not using ApplePay is that many stores don’t accept it and others don’t say. I don’t know how many times I look at the POS machine and try to figure if
    it has wireless. Then, after using a card because I saw nothing, the logo indicating Apple Pay shows up after I finish the credit card transaction. 

Ive given up asking cashiers because they rarely seem to know and sometimes act offended—as if paying with my watch is some sort of power move...

I look forward to the day I can use my watch for every payment.  I’m sure that day is coming!
  • Reply 38 of 68
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    JFC_PA said:
    mike1 said:
    Scan your rewards card then pay with ApplePay would work much like scanning the card and paying with cash does now. 
    One of the purposes of ApplePay is to replace the card(s) in your pocket.  I don't want to carry my rewards card with me.  Some grocery stores have reward cards that have an optical (OCR?) code, so I was able to just take a picture of it and simply use that pic going forward.  If I remember right, the Starbucks rewards card uses a magnetic stripe, so this approach wouldn't work.

Whatever happened to being able to add reward cards to the Apple Wallet?  I have my Starbucks Card in my Apple Wallet, of course, but I'm not aware I could just have a rewards membership card there as well?

• Reply 39 of 68
    tjwolf said:
    JFC_PA said:
    mike1 said:
    One of the purposes of ApplePay is to replace the card(s) in your pocket.  I don't want to carry my rewards card with me.  Some grocery stores have reward cards that have an optical (OCR?) code, so I was able to just take a picture of it and simply use that pic going forward.  If I remember right, the Starbucks rewards card uses a magnetic stripe, so this approach wouldn't work.

Whatever happened to being able to add reward cards to the Apple Wallet?  I have my Starbucks Card in my Apple Wallet, of course, but I'm not aware I could just have a rewards membership card there as well?
    They have a card with a magnetic strip, as well as one that automatically got to Wallet if you allow it via their iOS app, which you can also allow to go to your Watch. It will list a bar code and your physical card number, both of which you can use for making a payment on both devices.

You can also use the Starbucks app on both the iPhone and Watch to get you barcode for scanning at the store, which will come up if it's one of your preferred stores and you have your GPS location accessible to the app. Additionally, both your iPhone and Watch can be used to reload the card via Apple Pay.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 40 of 68
    sfolaxsfolax Posts: 49member
    Got to love how people think Apple Pay is something Apple did.

https://usa.visa.com/partner-with-us/payment-technology/visa-token-service.html
    It's just Visa and Mastercard tokenization that has been branded, same as Google/Android Pay.