Apple confirms WWDC 2018 keynote for June 4 at 10 a.m.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    avon b7 said:
    Sequoia would get my vote.
    Given the amount of attention the Macintosh gets these days from Apple, I was thinking Death Valley.
    doozydozenSpamSandwichradarthekat
  • Reply 22 of 34
    vadimyuryevvadimyuryev Posts: 170member
    macOS World's Tallest Thermometer
    SpamSandwichboltsfan17
  • Reply 23 of 34
    mpw_amherstmpw_amherst Posts: 563member
    It’s very basic UI wise, but I’d love Apple to do something like Windows Spotlight in a future macOS and with a real mix of high resolution photos, maybe some from ‘shot on iphone’, as opposed to the rather dystopian, drone shots we get on tvOS screensavers. 
  • Reply 24 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macxpress said:
    I'm just wondering what they'll call the next version of macOS? 
    I wish they would stop giving macOS versions different names. None of the others get names, just version numbers, they all get betas at the same time and are live around the same time.

I just don't get it now that macOS gets a major, annual update along with at least other Apple OSes (tvOS, watchOS, and iOS), and even the iPad outsells the Mac platform by 3 to 1(?).

It's not the old days when it was just the Mac and a new version came out once every 2–4 years. Plus, that shtick Craig does about sending stoner Apple employees at round the state to find a new name is lame. It was a little fun the first time, but every year is tiresome.

edited May 2018
  • Reply 25 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    macOS World's Tallest Thermometer
    macOS Hollywood & Vine
  • Reply 26 of 34
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    macOS In-N-Out Burger
    tmay
  • Reply 27 of 34
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    tipoo said:
    God I hope that banner is a hint at post hyper-flat UIs. 

Microsofts Fluent looks great, love to see Apples take on that with depth and shading. 

Objects sitting on or floating above a flat surface.  Seems like a reference to coding for AR.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    I wish they would stop giving macOS versions different names. None of the others get names, just version numbers, they all get betas at the same time and are live around the same time.

I just don't get it now that macOS gets a major, annual update along with at least other Apple OSes (tvOS, watchOS, and iOS), and even the iPad outsells the Mac platform by 3 to 1(?).

It's not the old days when it was just the Mac and a new version came out once every 2–4 years. Plus, that shtick Craig does about sending stoner Apple employees at round the state to find a new name is lame. It was a little fun the first time, but every year is tiresome.

Wow, what a Debbie Downer you are.
    macxpressfastasleeptmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:

Wow, what a Debbie Downer you are.
    If preferring to get a macOS update annually and to have such a rich environment of major OS updates across multiple, successful product lines sounds depressing, then go back to wishing for fewer updates and fewer products for all I care, but I'll still be wishing for Apple becoming more streamlined while increasing the scope of their products.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Maybe they'll announce AirPlay 2 and Messages in iCloud again.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 31 of 34
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    Maybe they'll announce AirPlay 2 and Messages in iCloud again.
    Please don’t say that. I just bought another HomePod to pair for stereo. Don’t let me down, Apple!
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 34
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:

I had a great seasonal job that that involved excitement, risk, drudgery and intermittent times of absolute boredom. Sport whinging about the most inconsequential subjects was our way of dealing with the boredom. 

You appear the master of sport whinging, and I salute you!
  • Reply 33 of 34
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    jSnively said:
    tipoo said:
    God I hope that banner is a hint at post hyper-flat UIs. 

Microsofts Fluent looks great, love to see Apples take on that with depth and shading. 

Fluent presents well, but all these half-steps MS has been taking to implement it has really given it an awful perception. In the current version of windows 10 the pieces that are in there just look disjointed and bad. Fall update is where it will maybe start to come together, but as of right now I would rather just turn it off than look at it.

Agreed there, Microsofts problem is that they now have 6 UI paradigms within Windows 10, they need to accelerate deprecating them. 

Apples fashion is more to whole-hog it from the start, so a later launch but hopefully a fuller one. 

I'm tired of the flat with buttons that are just text and an arrow, we went too far in the backlash against skeuomorphism. Get rid of the textures and stuff, good, but the shadow and weight are just good design elements that it seems like UI designers are just now rediscovering. 
  • Reply 34 of 34
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    Glad to see this report brought out the smarter commenters who remembered that WWDC is a developer conference focused on building blocks for future tech, not a dog-and-pony show for jaded cynics (that’s in September).

Reminder for readers in other time zones (since it curiously isn’t mentioned here) — all times Pacific, so 1pm Eastern (et al).
    edited May 2018