Review: OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock is the only game in town for FireWire 800

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    barthrh said:
    I have one and like it. The only changes I'd make would be a couple more TB3 ports and/or integrated TB2. Of my two TB3 ports, one is used to connect the dock, the other to plug in a TB3-TB2 adaptor. I plug my LG display directly into my MacBook.
    The Thunderbolt protocol doesn't allow for spoke/hub, only a daisy-chain. So, while in the future we may see more USB-C ports, they'll be of the USB 3.1 variety and not Thunderbolt.

Apple's TB3 to TB2 adapter works fine to connect the dock to a TB2 machine -- or to plug in TB2 peripherals downstream of the dock.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    volcan said:
    spheric said:
    For one, that needs an extra Thunderbolt 3 —> Thunderbolt 2 adapter, and for another, it's not a dock. 
    Which Macs have a Thunderbolt 3 port? I think only the MacBook Pro October 2016. Otherwise you only need the single Apple adapter. With the new USB-C only notebooks you would also need multiple adapters to get FireWire 800, but it is still less expensive than this dock if all you are looking for is Firewire 800. So no, there is not only ONE choice as the article states.
    The new iMacs also have the USB-C (USB 3.1) port. So you'd need and adapter and then adapter that adapter. 
  • Reply 43 of 46

bill1357 said:
    you mention the massive power supply, and it is not bad, but one of their competitors is offering 175W, which would both charge the MacPro at full rate and power peripherals.  I wish OWC would offer that.  

Of course, I haven't seen the 175W and maybe it wouldn't even fit in my pickup :) so I may be ignoring practicality for numbers.  Still it would be nice to have the power.

What would be really nice would be the option of either---maybe one could buy a high power supply or choose a lower power supply.
    This is more a feature of the USB-C controller chip. OWC chose a 60W max. Ones are coming say that they support the full power, but we'll see when they ship, and how well they work in future reviews.

So far, the only USB-C peripheral that's given me full 87W charging power is a Bizon eGPU case.

The lack of full power delivery for MBP is a non starter for me unfortunately. I prefer one port full solutions. Too bad this dock has everything except full delivery. 😔 I'll wait and see what's down the road. 
  • Reply 44 of 46
    durositydurosity Posts: 8member
    Were you able to test the DisplayPort with a 30" Cinema Display? OWC stated that this will work with the older Apple 30" Cinema Display and a 2016 MacBook Pro. Would be interested to see if that works...
    I can test that when I get the dock back from our videographer.
    I don’t suppose you ever tested that setup did you?  
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    durosity said:
    Were you able to test the DisplayPort with a 30" Cinema Display? OWC stated that this will work with the older Apple 30" Cinema Display and a 2016 MacBook Pro. Would be interested to see if that works...
    I can test that when I get the dock back from our videographer.
    I don’t suppose you ever tested that setup did you?  
    We did! As long as you get to the DVI port with adapters from the dock of your choice, and connect the pass-through ports, you're good to go.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    As of writing, 11/2018, the product has been discontinued. My guess is due to reliability. The only hub OWC makes with FireWire port is Thunderbolt 2, an older model and interface for just $199. https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderbolt/Dock/OWC/Thunderbolt2-Dock/ ; With that, you will need an extra $49 Apple TB3 male to TB2 female adapter (dongle)  https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter to be the go-between. Yet, the full functionalities will still be in question with 2 bridging devices between the host MBP and the peripheral. All in all, ditch FW and convert all peripherals to be at least USB 3.
    edited November 2018