Google takes top spot in global smart speaker market, HomePod nowhere to be found

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2018
In a smart speaker marketshare leaderboard not yet cracked by Apple's HomePod, Google has overtaken Amazon according to new research data.

In smart speakers, a product category whose size has doubled over the course of the last year, Google has ousted Amazon as the top manufacturer in the world, according to data released Wednesday by Canalys.

Google, buoyed by the Google Home and Home Mini devices, sold 3.2 million speakers in the first quarter for 36.2 percent of the market, compared to 2.5 million of Amazon's Echo devices (27.7 percent). Both companies have expanded their sales beyond the U.S. market, to the point where domestic sales are now below 50 percent of the worldwide total, although the U.S. remains the top market for smart speakers (followed by China and South Korea.)

Alibaba and Xiaomi, a pair of Chinese brands, are third and fourth in market share.

"Google has several advantages over Amazon that have helped it move ahead," Canalys Analyst Ben Stanton said in the release. "But its biggest advantage is in the channel. Operators and retailers tend to prioritize Google's speakers over those from Amazon, as Amazon is in the tricky position of being a direct competitor. But Amazon is fighting back hard, and the sheer quantity of Alexa Skills and smart home integrations will be tough for any competitor to match."

Apple released the HomePod in February, and in a limited number of markets, so it hasn't yet shown up in Canalys market share rankings. An estimate this week by Strategy Analytics had Apple selling 600,000 HomePods in the first quarter, for 6 percent of the market.

If the 600,000 unit figure from Strategy Analytics is accurate, that puts Apple just a hair below Xiaomi at 6.7 percent, versus 7 percent for the Chinese manufacturer.

However, the products are not similarly priced. The HomePod is priced at $349, while the Amazon speakers are much less, including the $50 Amazon Echo Dot. The Google Home line also has high- and low-end models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    Soon or later there will be a bridge, one of those big players will fall and then users will probably turn to the more secure option -Apple-
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 46
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    Guess my HomePod is getting returned...I will miss its superior sound and build quality.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 3 of 46
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 230member
    HomePod only launched in 3 countries and had no AirPlay2 or ‘Stereo’ pairing. 6-7% market share is pretty good considering. 
    lolliverAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 46
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    clarker99 said:
    HomePod only launched in 3 countries and had no AirPlay2 or ‘Stereo’ pairing. 6-7% market share is pretty good considering. 
    I which countries are sold Google and Amazon speakers?
  • Reply 5 of 46
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    Guess my HomePod is getting returned...I will miss its superior sound and build quality.
    Why? If it’s superior why return it. I think the price is beyond my wallet. I still have a jambox and a Bose. I just can’t afford the Apple. Maybe Apple should make the price more affordable. I keep thinking, “Why so expensive?” My Dentist has Alexa, and it was cool. Wish Apple would be more affordable.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    mattbookairmattbookair Posts: 172member
    This is probably the most disappointing product roll out yet. HomePod is still not available in Europe, and we're already hearing rumours of a second model. Let's hope WWDC seriously kickstarts this very important segment for Apple, with improved Siri and an international roll out. Maybe a less expensive HomePod too, but I'm less bothered about that. Apple ... just let me pay good money for a great product, please!
    kcammie7
  • Reply 7 of 46
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    clarker99 said:
    Why should have they released a half baked product. Apple is getting too Sloopy
    kcammie7techrulesCaffiend
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Still waiting for Sonos One to add Assistant so I can get one for my home office. I'm stuck in limbo not wanting a dumb speaker but wanting something better than my Home Mini.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    looplessloopless Posts: 325member
    Pointless data unless you can break it down to show the "premium sound" category. Apple will never sell a $50 Homepod. So if they have 7% of the total market that WILL translate to a much higher % of against their real competition of Sonos and the high-end Google device.
    jony0lolliver
  • Reply 10 of 46
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    loopless said:
    Pointless data unless you can break it down to show the "premium sound" category. Apple will never sell a $50 Homepod. So if they have 7% of the total market that WILL translate to a much higher % of against their real competition of Sonos and the high-end Google device.
    How big is the market for a premium sound smart speaker?  I wish Apple would make a smart soundbar that I could connect to my TV.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    I didn’t try HomePod . But I use Siri and I tryed google assistant and google products. I know them .. the way they are working. Bad products by google. No good services. They put money to make fake news more than in resaurch to create good products. So we did read fake news about iPhone X, personally I don’t believe google speakers sell much. And honestly who buy it for sure will think soon that domotic don’t work, “maybe one day “.. in reality who use Siri know very well that domotic and personal virtual assistant can help us to control our home and be helpful for real. So google with their poor quality products just delay the real progress.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    clarker99 said:
    Because some things need to be tested in the real world under a multitude of conditions. A speaker that automatically adjusts its sound based on surroundings would qualify for that. Limiting to three countries allows them to get it right before expansion. They did the same with the iPhone because it was a completely new market for them. How many called the iPhone a failure with only on carrier?

Alex1N
  • Reply 13 of 46
    gwydion said:
    clarker99 said:
    I which countries are sold Google and Amazon speakers?
    Echo’s available in over 80 countries (https://www.zdnet.com/article/amazon-expands-echo-to-more-countries/) and google home/mini is in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, United Kingdom, United States (except Puerto Rico).
  • Reply 14 of 46
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Buy one get two amazon echo and google mini
    claire1
  • Reply 15 of 46
    clarker99 said:
    I own 1 HomePod. IMO, the product, as is, works great for my needs. I have Apple Music and homekit accessories. It performs both those functions very well, especially the sound quality. I dont have the issues with Siri that many on here complain about.

Once the stereo pairing and AirPlay2 feature is released I will buy 2 (maybe 3) more. I am guessing others will do same. I am very intrigued in how Apple handles the HomePod over the next few years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Yes, it is a hardware race to the bottom. As we know, Apple will not go there. 
    Cesar Battistini MazieroAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 46
    DracarysDracarys Posts: 72member
    loopless said:
    So, it's only meaningful if you move the goalposts to fit your goal? 
    larrya
  • Reply 18 of 46
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    These other speakers can be heard loud and clear when singing the praises of unit market share, but their volume seems muted when the subject or profit comes up.  Let’s wait a while, at least until the HomePod can show sales for a full quarter, but let’s actually wait until it’s been out a full year, so that we can compare revenues and profits when it’s as widely distributed as these other smart speakers.  Shades of early Apple Watch doom, and we saw how that’s turned out.  
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 46
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Dracarys said:
    loopless said:
    So, it's only meaningful if you move the goalposts to fit your goal? 
    You mean position the goal posts where they should be, right?  Or perhaps your a person who compares Coach bag sales volumes to the number of women’s handbags sold under the blue light specials at your local KMart, as though that would be a meaningful comparison.  If so, I’ll recommend you stay out of the investing realm, at least.  And any other realm in which analysis is required for success. 
    edited May 2018 Alex1Nbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 46
    saltyzipsaltyzip Posts: 193member
    clarker99 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Yes, it is a hardware race to the bottom. As we know, Apple will not go there. 
    And that is why Google is the champion of the people, reflected in majority market share and Apple is the champion of letting only this inside who have cash to spend to increase their stockpile.