Comcast plans 'superior' cash offer to beat out Disney for 21st Century Fox

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2018
Comcast on Wednesday confirmed rumors that it intends to outbid Disney for 21st Century Fox and some of its subsidiaries, in a deal that could radically shake up the streaming media landscape -- if it's approved.

Comcast

Comcast said only that it's in "advanced stages" of preparing an all-cash offer, which would have to top Disney's $52.4 billion in stock. The bid would specifically cover the businesses Fox has agreed to sell to Disney, excluding Fox News, Fox Business, the Fox Broadcasting Company, and "certain other assets."

"The structure and terms of any offer by Comcast, including with respect to both the spin-off of 'New Fox' and the regulatory risk provisions and the related termination fee, would be at least as favorable to Fox shareholders as the Disney offer," Comcast added.

Either takeover would further homogenize the media world. Comcast is not only an internet and cable provider, but in control of NBC, Universal, DreamWorks, and many other related properties. It also has a 30 percent stake in Hulu along with 21st Century Fox, Disney, and Time Warner -- that stake would probably increase after an acquisition.

Apple presumably favors Disney, with which it has close ties. Disney CEO Bob Iger is on Apple's board of directors, and former Apple CEO Steve Jobs was at one point Disney's largest individual shareholder, thanks to the latter's buyout of Pixar. Disney products are frequently pushed in Apple marketing.

Any acquisition would have to survive scrutiny from U.S. regulators, some of which have become concerned about the growing absence of competition.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    I really hope Disney closes this deal, if for no other reason than to keep Comcast from getting it. Comcast is likely the worst US company there is. 
    perpetual3holyonenetmagestompylolliverMacPro
  • Reply 2 of 17
    supadav03 said:
    I really hope Disney closes this deal, if for no other reason than to keep Comcast from getting it. Comcast is likely the worst US company there is. 
    Totally agree.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    Yeah, Comcast is being such a bastard, I doubt they even seriously want Fox, their bid would never get regulatory approval and they know it, they are just trying to impede a competitor whose whooping their ass at the box office, many Disney flicks make a billion standard now "scary", Com just wants some of that Marvel money.

"Comcast said only that it's in "advanced stages" of preparing an all-cash offer, which would have to top Disney's $52.4 billion in stock. The bid would specifically cover the businesses Fox has agreed to sell to Disney, excluding Fox News, Fox Business, the Fox Broadcasting Company, and "certain other assets."

They all ready made a higher bid $60Bln I think even before the Disney deal was announced, the reason they are making an all cash offer is because Disney shares are much more valuable to own long term that a one time pay off, hopefully Rupert gets his troops in line and they resist the seduction. It's a pitty Tim lacks the ambition but IMHO I think blowing a 100 billion to buy wall street love is poor spending, yeah I know I know armchair CEO but honestly though $200 Bln buys you Disney Tim, Disney, if the regs would be fine with Com owning Fox, Apple could surely get Iger as chief of media content, surely.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I hope tne while thing flames out as neither the Evil Empire of Iger (Disney) or the Craptastic, Bombastic Comcast need more media properties. As for Murdochvision, it should all just hopefully shrivel up and blow away.

America doesnot need more concentration of media- it needs a more competitive market. The content producers and distributors both seem to have formed a cartel and consumers are the ones getting fleeced. 

What would have been hilarious would have been if Murdoch included Fox Noise Channel and Comcast has won tbe bidding war. Then the owner of MSNBC would own TrumpTV - dba Fox “News” Channel aka Not Necessarily The News.

The Alex Jones crowd would have had a cow.  
    ronn
  • Reply 5 of 17
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Where’s the FCC or whoever control acquisition of media companies. Comcast already owns Universal and other companies reducing competition by also owning the delivery pipe. If Apple tried to buy any of these companies everyone would complain. 
  • Reply 6 of 17
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Apple should buy Disney. They want content. Isn't Steve's wife a major owner of both companies? She's worth billions.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    nunzy said:
    Apple should buy Disney. They want content. Isn't Steve's wife a major owner of both companies? She's worth billions.
    Like I said that acquisition would never be approved. 
    nunzy
  • Reply 8 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I hope people here know that Bob Iger, the CEO of Disney, is already on the Apple board of directors.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Who cares who owns it? The number of media companies goes from 6 to 5 either way. It’s the same content on all of them.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Who cares who owns it? The number of media companies goes from 6 to 5 either way. It’s the same content on all of them.

Marvel fans, for one. They're getting wet dreams at the idea of the X-Men and the Fantastic Four finally coming home.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    I just want to see a Disney made X-men movie and Wolverine in the Avengers!
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 12 of 17
    god please no more superhero movies, how many more "heroes" or permutations of those (batman vs superman wtf) are there to make movies about!? My son just introduced me to reverse-flash yesterday, so there's now alter-ego versions of each of the superheroes too! smh
  • Reply 13 of 17
    adm1 said:
    god please no more superhero movies, how many more "heroes" or permutations of those (batman vs superman wtf) are there to make movies about!? My son just introduced me to reverse-flash yesterday, so there's now alter-ego versions of each of the superheroes too! smh

Comcast Is the worst company in America they should be broken up as it is... when Time Warner Cable does a better job with customer service than Comcasst you should know your business model has failed.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Perhaps teaching that child some math or reading a book would be a better use of both your time.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    adm1 said:
    Flash has been around in the comics since 1940 and Reverse Flash appeared in the comics starting in the 60's... this isn't something just invented for 2010's kids. Batman vs Superman was an abomination and the EXACT reason Marvel fans want the characters owned by Fox to come home. Outside studios have almost no idea how to make a good super hero movie. Batman vs Superman was a couple of story lines from different comics mashed together very badly.

I am an 80's kid used to love my comics! I am so happy to be able to see these movies being done the right way. I am sometimes not able to wrap my head around what can be done with special effects anymore.. truly amazing IMHO.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    rob53 said:
    nunzy said:
    Like I said that acquisition would never be approved. 
    Whether or not it makes business sense, there's no reason it wouldn't be approved or there even be grounds to disapprove it.  It would just add to Apple's content that they are building up without giving them a dominant share of market.  Streaming market is extremely robust with many and growing number of competitors, e.g., Amazon, Google, Sony, Comcast, etc., etc.  
    nunzy
  • Reply 17 of 17
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Comcast already tried to bid and it was more than Disney offered. Fox turned it down. and according to the talk, the Marvel/Fox deal included a non-negotiable clause that if Fox ever folds etc, the XMen etc rights can not be sold. If Fox wants to dump the rights, they go back to Marvel. So Comcast wouldn't be getting what might still be Fox's most valuable property