iPhone 7 Plus tops smartphone consumer satisfaction survey

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
Apple's iPhone 7 Plus from 2016 tops the ASCI Telecommunications user survey, with iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus coming in fourth and fifth.

Apple's iPhone 7 Plus

The new ACSI Telecommunications Report 2018, released Wednesday by the American Customer Satisfaction Index, named a surprise winner: The iPhone 7 Plus. The Apple device that's now over 18 months old took the top spot with a score of 85 out of 100. Samsung's Galaxy S8+ and S8 placed second and third (with 84 and 83), followed by the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus both with 83.

The iPhone X, came in 17th, with a score of 80, ranking ninth among iPhone models but only five points ranking-wise below the older iPhone 7.

ASCI's 2018 smartphone rankings

"For iPhone users," ASCI said in its report, "the features of the X model are not enough to offset the cost."

The top smartphone in the 2017 edition of the survey was another older model, the iPhone SE, with a score of 87; the iPhone 7 Plus came in third last year with 86.

There is one major reason that the ASCI methodology may favor older models -- the survey, of 45,292 customers, was conducted between April 2017 and March 2018, putting half of the evaluation period prior to the release of the iPhone X, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, giving a smaller consumer sample size to choose from.
watto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    The X’s features sure are once I USED the iPhone X. I’d never go back, and it’s about an extra $5 a month...
    mike1SnickersMagoowatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    I loved my 7+, but had trouble with fingerprint. Bought the X and I just love the facial recognition. Will never go back to fingerprint. The facial ID even puts log in info on several apps and I love that. When will the iPad go facial?
    mike1albegarcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    urashidurashid Posts: 127member

The iPhone X, came in 17th, with a score of 80, ranking ninth among iPhone models but only five points ranking-wise below the older iPhone 7.
    Not sure what that means.  iPhone X has the same score as iPhone 7 (80) and it is only two spots below iPhone 7.
    edited May 2018 albegarcpslicewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    As the owner of an iPhone 7 that said yuck to the iPhone X (and that ridiculous price):

Great news. Nobody wants Face ID and nobody wants to pay $1,000 for a disposable Cell Phone. 

The fact that a pristine iPhone X will get you less than $450 from Gazelle tells you the market says it is overpriced. Plenty of supply, not that great a demand.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    As the owner of an iPhone 7 that said yuck to the iPhone X (and that ridiculous price):

Great news. Nobody wants Face ID and nobody wants to pay $1,000 for a disposable Cell Phone. 

The fact that a pristine iPhone X will get you less than $450 from Gazelle tells you the market says it is overpriced. Plenty of supply, not that great a demand.
    Apple, and us shareholders just got a good laugh from your comment, while on our way to the bank to deposit some more gains.  Thanks for that.
    pslicechasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    What is the range of error? Is it +/- 5 points? 10 points? If it's +/- 5 points, then basically every phone on the list is tied. The other thing that doesn't make sense is the statement "the features of the X model are not enough to offset the cost." Once you buy the phone, you've decided that the features are worth the cost. Unless they are arguing that people who bought the iPhone X have buyer's remorse, the cost shouldn't factor in to how satisfied you are with the phone.

Showing the testing methodology is relevant too. If the questions favor older phones then it probably isn't a valid survey. What I find interesting is the fact that the iPhone 6sis  and SE are tied with the iPhone X.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

As an owner of the 7 Plus that said yes to the iPhone X:

Great choice! From the screen, to the sheer joy of seeing passwords auto-filled by just looking at the phone, it's probably been the most rewarding transition from one generation to another.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    All these numbers are pretty close to each other. In fact, most of them are probably within the statistical margin of error, which means that they really don't mean much, except that people really like Apple and Samsung phones.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    The decision to conduct the survey halfway between the product cycles (meaning that the newer phones are underrepresented) effectively renders the results meaningless. On top of that, the results suggest that people who buy flagship phones are generally happy with them, whether they have actually done any real-world comparison (unlikely) or not. As someone else noted, this data indicates that the best phones are effectively tied, with proven performers regarded better than ones that are new to the market.

I think sales is a better indicator of satisfaction than this particular survey, and that would suggest that the “best” phones are the current line of iPhones (led by the iPhone X), followed by the lesser-selling but high-quality Android top models (led by the Galaxy flagships).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    iPhone 7 is my favorite iPhone yet.  A super classy design that feels perfect in the hand.