iPhone X's Face ID reviewed, six months later

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this but my phone can never recognize me if I'm wearing sunglasses, which I do often, so what I find myself having to do is use my other hand to lift my sunglasses off my face, at which point it recognizes me. If my other hand is unavailable, I just let it fail and ask for the passcode. I also type in the passcode way more often than I did when I had TouchID.
    It needs to see your eyes open. You can turn off that requirement. I have one pair of sunglasses that I need to lift up.
    pslicewatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 45
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    I much prefer FaceID over Touch ID. I just swipe up and it unlocks. Rarely have to consciously think about unlocking it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 45
    nodtmfnodtmf Posts: 8member
    I actually got the iPhone 10 because of the size, and wasn't expecting to like face ID. I must be one of the lucky ones, it really works well for me, sunglasses, eyeglasses, in the car etc. Using it with 1Password for website unlocking is a really cool experience. I would like face ID on my iPad and my Mac.
    pslicewatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 45
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,247member
    mike1 said:
    I much prefer FaceID over Touch ID. I just swipe up and it unlocks. Rarely have to consciously think about unlocking it.
    I have exactly the opposite experience. When I need to unlock my phone I am constantly aware of how I need my phone to be successful (directly face at camera at the right distance, neutral face, etc...) whereas Touch ID was completely transparent for me. 
  • Reply 25 of 45
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    So basically every month there will be a "IPhone X Reviewed ___ months later" article.  These will be helpful alongside the articles on how to use functionality that is obvious on its face.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 26 of 45
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    flydog said:
    So basically every month there will be a "IPhone X Reviewed ___ months later" article.  These will be helpful alongside the articles on how to use functionality that is obvious on its face.
    It's not an iPhone X review. It's a FaceID review. It makes a lot of sense.

Yes, some people were claiming it was the best thing since sliced bread. It wasn't and isn't. It's simply another biometric option.

That said, it does have one particular aspect that cannot be reviewed completely at launch. FaceID has the ability to 'learn' about your structural facial changes over time and adapt to them. It isn't possible without an NPU.

There are a lot of unknowns, too. There have been more cases of friends being able to unlock phones than simple probabilities would lead you to believe but still not enough to represent an issue.

It is precisely the kind of biometric that should be revisited to see how things stand up, and six months seems about right to me.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 45
    vadimyuryevvadimyuryev Posts: 170member
    Excellent video by the way.  You guys are crisp and lucid in all your videos.  A lot of information is presented without belaboring any points.  Well done. 
    avon b7 said:
    An excellent revisit!
    Thanks!
  • Reply 28 of 45
    I absolutely hate Face ID. I've been using an iPhone X since it came out and by now Face ID became a gimmick that is almost always worse for unlocking the phone than the old Touch ID.

Typical case is when I drive and the phone is in its cradle. The cradle is set up a way that the phone is facing the center of the car and not my face, so when I need to unlock the phone, I always have to take it out of the cradle, look into the camera and then put it back. It's not only unsafe, but extremely frustrating as well. Previously I could unlock my iPhone 7 Plus with the touch of the home button in a second. I experimented with other cradles, but nothing holds the phone as well in my car as this one.

Same story when at work the phone is lying on the table and I want to quickly check something. With the iPhone X, I have to pick up the phone, look into the camera, and put it down again. iPhone 7 Plus: touch the home button and unlocked in less than a second.

There are many more similar frustrating cases.

And then I haven't even touched on the fact that Face ID seems to hate my face because it routinely fails to recognize me. I have no facial hair or other complications. I've tried to retrain it multiple times with no better results. I know it works for some people much better, but it definitely gives me lot of trouble.

Yeah, animojis were fun for a day or two, but I haven't used them for months. What remains is the frustration. It makes me hate this phone compared to the last few generations. Otherwise I love the X's form factor, the screen, the battery life, and the performance. I just wish it had that sweet, sweet home button on the front.

Btw, I mentioned earlier that Face ID is better than Touch ID in certain cases. Well, that case is when I wear gloves in the winter. Thats' pretty much it.

I really hope there will be a good iPhone coming out in October with Touch ID. I usually get the top of the line, but this time I'm willing to compromise.
    CheeseFreezepatchythepirate
  • Reply 29 of 45
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    So frustrating that after a false read (I'm often looking away at my phone when it's doing the initial read, either I don't orient it in time or I'm multitasking) it often defaults to the pin entry (I can't seem to pick up the pattern, maybe after a period of time it prompts the pin code instead of letting you try to swipe up again), and there's no way to re-scan unless you first cancel the pin, then swipe up again. When the pin screen is in place, touching the lock doesn't prompt another read, and swiping up doesn't trigger a read. Incredibly frustrating for something I do a hundred times a day. Anybody else experiencing this same annoyance? Either way, it's not a problem with FaceID, which seems to work great, but a problem with the UI implementation.
    If I’m not looking at it during the initial read, the moment I look back it auto-re-reads and unlocks. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 45
    vadimyuryevvadimyuryev Posts: 170member
    I absolutely hate Face ID. I've been using an iPhone X since it came out and by now Face ID became a gimmick that is almost always worse for unlocking the phone than the old Touch ID.

Typical case is when I drive and the phone is in its cradle. The cradle is set up a way that the phone is facing the center of the car and not my face, so when I need to unlock the phone, I always have to take it out of the cradle, look into the camera and then put it back. It's not only unsafe, but extremely frustrating as well. Previously I could unlock my iPhone 7 Plus with the touch of the home button in a second. I experimented with other cradles, but nothing holds the phone as well in my car as this one.

Same story when at work the phone is lying on the table and I want to quickly check something. With the iPhone X, I have to pick up the phone, look into the camera, and put it down again. iPhone 7 Plus: touch the home button and unlocked in less than a second.

There are many more similar frustrating cases.

And then I haven't even touched on the fact that Face ID seems to hate my face because it routinely fails to recognize me. I have no facial hair or other complications. I've tried to retrain it multiple times with no better results. I know it works for some people much better, but it definitely gives me lot of trouble.

Yeah, animojis were fun for a day or two, but I haven't used them for months. What remains is the frustration. It makes me hate this phone compared to the last few generations. Otherwise I love the X's form factor, the screen, the battery life, and the performance. I just wish it had that sweet, sweet home button on the front.

Btw, I mentioned earlier that Face ID is better than Touch ID in certain cases. Well, that case is when I wear gloves in the winter. Thats' pretty much it.

I really hope there will be a good iPhone coming out in October with Touch ID. I usually get the top of the line, but this time I'm willing to compromise.
    https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Holder-Adjustable-iPhone-Galaxy/dp/B0158H6CTM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1527175435&sr=8-6&keywords=iphone+car+holder+swivel&dpID=413llGJvmGL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071CXW8WJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Clean-Clear-Night-Cleanser-2-Pack/dp/B00JFV5X3E/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1527175578&sr=1-4&keywords=face+wash

You're welcome ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 45
     I have to keep it a fairly consistent distance with a neutral expression. Slight angles won’t work,
    Which is really annoying when using it with ApplePay. I thought this would be an issue and it is: if you do what is natural and lay the phone down on the reader, guess what, no faceid.

I also find the screen is on all the time when the phone is in my pocket. This, of course, was no longer supposed to happen because it would only keep the lighting on when you were looking at it.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Does facial expression affect FaceID? Like laughing, crying, etc?
  • Reply 33 of 45
    avon b7 said:
    I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this but my phone can never recognize me if I'm wearing sunglasses, which I do often, so what I find myself having to do is use my other hand to lift my sunglasses off my face, at which point it recognizes me. If my other hand is unavailable, I just let it fail and ask for the passcode. I also type in the passcode way more often than I did when I had TouchID.
    This was touched on at release. It should work with most sunglasses but not all, especially if they are very dark.
    My glasses are light grey and it still doesn't work. To the OP, look in settings for "attention" and turn it off. Presto.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    pslicepslice Posts: 150member
    I love FaceID. When you set it up it asks you to move your face different directions. I can grin at it and even just tip it up a bit to see my eyeballs. I’d reset the FaceID if I were you. Finger print would only work once in. While because of dermatitis. So I love Face ID. 😎
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 45
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Why should I have to "swipe up" once the phone is unlocked? 
    No doubt it's Apple shielding the user from the unintended consequences of unintentionally revealing sensitive data to someone nearby. But I think it's likely that Apple will change that in some way. Making it optional would be great.

I'm using an older phone with an older iOS, and have to 1) Press the Home button 2) swipe right 3) enter my pass code. I miss Touch ID where I just press Home and waited for an instant. Apple changed that in Touch ID and gave the option of Hold to Unlock or Press to Unlock. Face ID will get something similar.

I like the idea of an option for Face ID unlocking the phone and opening it if there are no notifications or messages, no need to swipe. If there are messages or notifications, read or swipe.

• Reply 37 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Funny how food is getting mentioned. I was going to say that I've gotten it to work while I've been eating, often when I have a fork in my mouth. Sad but true. :)
    That's because you have Fork ID enabled. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 38 of 45
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Love the convenience. Would never go back. Future secure tech I buy will have that feature. Period. 

Works perfectly with my very dark, polarized, prescription Oakley’s. Impressive. 
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 45
    gilly017gilly017 Posts: 83member
    I absolutely love FaceID. Can't stand my iPad where I have to hold a finger on it. If FaceID initially fails I just keep looking at it and it then unlocks. Will never go back.

I just want Apple to make the stupid swipe bar on iPhone X optional. So annoying.
    Agree about the swipe bar option. I’m so jealous of my wife’s iPhone X. She just got one. Waiting to see what’s on offer coming in September. I like this form factor. Having the large screen and still have phone that fits well in the hand is the best. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 45
    lito_lupenalito_lupena Posts: 116member
    If and when TrueDepth comes to MacBooks and iMacs, Apple could easily implement a green-screen feature, allowing users to replace their messy dorm rooms with any background they wish for video calls. — um, photo booth?