Video: What to expect at WWDC 2018

Posted:
in General Discussion
WWDC 2018 is just around the corner, and we're extremely excited to see what Apple's got up its sleeve. The annual conference is focused on software technologies, but sometimes Apple sneaks in a few hardware releases and announcements.

Last year, the iMac, MacBook, and iPad Pro lines all saw refreshes during Apple's developer conference, with the biggest changes made to the iPad Pro, including a new 10.5-inch form factor and the award-winning ProMotion display. Apple also revealed the iMac Pro and the HomePod, with both already on the market and available to purchase.

This year, alongside the usual iOS, macOS, and other software announcements, we're expecting refreshed MacBooks, iMacs, and iPads.

WWDC 2018 logo
WWDC 2018

Here's everything you can expect to see from Apple at WWDC 2018, along with a few things that aren't likely to make an appearance, but would be awesome if they did.

MacBook and MacBook Pro

For the MacBook and MacBook Pro lines, we're expecting a switch to Intel's Coffee lake processors. Intel is already working on 10nm Cannon Lake processors, which would allow Apple to add a 32GB RAM option to all new MacBook models, but delays caused by manufacturing issues means we most likely have to wait until 2019 for Cannon Lake processor-equipped MacBook.

MacBook pro

There has been a lot of buzz over Apple's TrueDepth camera system, and whether the company will start equipping MacBooks with this new technology. There's already a large list of Windows notebooks that support Windows Hello facial recognition that unlocks supported devices within a couple of seconds.

It only makes sense for Apple to start equipping their new MacBooks with Face ID. If they choose to reserve Face ID for the MacBook Pro line, this could also prompt the regular MacBook to drop in price.

Apple has been taking a lot of heat for its butterfly keyboard, and is even facing a class-action lawsuit over supposedly widespread failures. With that in mind, we could see an updated keyboard on the newest MacBook models.

The current MacBook Air is extremely outdated, but it's the cheapest MacBook you can get, currently $300 cheaper than the other base models. This year would be the optimal time to release a redesigned MacBook Air, maintaining a $999 price-tag and possibly getting even thinner than any MacBook has before, while also adopting the edge-to-edge glass and black bezels from the current MacBook lines.

If they choose not to redesign the MacBook Air, we can reasonably expect a specification upgrade or a price reduction.

macOS

The switch to Apple's new file system that arrived with macOS High Sierra was pretty rough. After initial compatibility issues, many users had to switch back to Sierra to get some of their old apps and server setups working again. We can definitely expect a new macOS update that will work towards fixing a lot of the problems introduced by High Sierra.

macOS X

We can also expect some new features that will encourage more users to upgrade to newer versions of the Mac operating system, perhaps cross-platform features with iOS, or even updates to first-party apps.

iPad Pro

Rumors that a next-generation iPad Pro will gain the TrueDepth camera array and Face ID have circulated for quite a while. Considering Apple-produced technologies like Touch ID trickle down to iPad after an initial unveiling on iPhone, we can expect TrueDepth to debut on iPad in the near future.

iPad Pro

Apple slimmed the bezels on last year's 10.5-inch iPad Pro, fitting a larger screen into a smaller form factor, so there is the possibility that this year's edition could either fit a larger screen in the current 12.9-inch version's chassis, or they'll use the same display but make the overall device size smaller.

We're also expecting an upgrade to an A11X processor and other performance improvements.

iPad Mini

Now that Apple's $329 budget iPad supports Apple Pencil and is equipped with an A10 Fusion processor, there aren't many reasons left for people to pay $399 for an A8-equipped iPad Mini 4.

We expect Apple to either lower the price of the iPad mini 4, refresh its specs, or kill it off completely. In the case of a refresh, TrueDepth camera and Apple Pencil support is a possibility, but not as likely as a simple price drop.

AirPower

Last year, Apple gave the world a sneak peak at its upcoming AirPower charging mat, which was slated for release sometime in 2018. At the same time, it showed off an optional AirPods wireless charging case, one that could feasibly charge alongside an iPhone and an Apple Watch on the same AirPower mat.

We can expect Apple to release both of them at the same time at WWDC or shortly thereafter. But, given that Apple said "next year" when it released it, it's not technically late until the end of the year.

AirPods Wireless Charging Case

The wireless charging case for AirPods could be priced at around $69, and if it's only sold as an optional accessory, that will bring up the cost of buying both the case and the Airpods to a pricey total of $228. Future AirPods could be offered in two configurations, with one version supplied with the new charging case and another with a regular wired case.

iPhone SE 2

There's also the chance of Apple unveiling a new wirelessly charging product alongside the AirPower mat, and this could even be the iPhone SE 2. While rumors pointed to a launch earlier in the year, it's seemingly more likely that an update to the line could be launched in September, alongside the usual iPhone refresh.

When the updated iPhone SE does get released, we're expecting a glass back and the possibility of Face ID, although integration is not as likely as with other devices.

WatchOS 5

WatchOS 4 was a huge update, adding a slew of first-party app redesigns and other changes. We're expecting some usability improvements and a few new features with watchOS 5.

New watch faces are almost certain to make an appearance, hopefully including some new animated ones in this version.

Many users have been requesting an always-on display, and that could be a possibility for watchOS 5, especially with Apple Watch Series 4 or Series 5 already rumored to use a micro-LED display.

HomePod

Apple's HomePod didn't have as wildly successful a launch as Apple hoped it would, especially due to the lack of Airplay 2 and stereo pairing support.

We're expecting the HomePod to gain a whole lot more in the way of Siri commands and functionality, because right now, it's extremely lacking compared to the competition.

iOS 12

Airplay 2 has been in the works for quite some time now, appearing in a number of betas for iOS 11.3 and iOS 11.4, and we expect Apple to finally release it this June. This will bring multi-room audio to its products, as well as fixing a lot of the stability issues that Airplay currently faces.

iOS 11 on iPhone X

Last year, Apple detailed machine learning advancements that help Siri sound more natural. We expect some major Siri improvements to be announced at WWDC that take advantage of Apple's work in this field.

Camera access could be a nice inclusion, allowing us to ask Siri things with visual elements. For example, pointing to text in a foreign language and asking what language it is, or even to instantly translate a menu when shown to the camera.

We're also hoping that Siri will get a whole lot smarter, so it can finally compete with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.

We're expecting more iPhones with Apple's TrueDepth camera system coming in September, and with that, more Animoji characters, and possibly more features surrounding Animoji. There should definitely be more features surrounding the TrueDepth camera system, such as horizontal support for Face ID, so you can unlock your iPad in landscape mode.

As for iPad, the product line should continue to gain features that make them more like computers. This could encourage more users to turn to using an iPad instead of buying a separate notebook.

Mac Pro

Just like the iMac Pro tease we saw at last years' WWDC, we're hoping to hear more about Apple's 2019 Mac Pro, either at WWDC or the September event. But, Apple may feel that it has teased enough already.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Would love to hear an announcement about the Mac Mini.  I don't care if it is  a new model or a death certificate, but don't leave us in the dark.
    SnickersMagookirkgrayDavidAlGregory
  • Reply 2 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Actually you left out the Mac Mini.    Im expecying (hopeing) for a new low end desktop that is not completely bungled.  Happiness could even come with an AMD processor or even an Apple ARM processor.  

In regards to iPad face ID actually has mecwaiting for the next model.   So the rumors of a modern iPad better be true.  The small iPad and face ID would be ideal as it is the ideal size for in car use.   Think navigation along with other trip uses.  In any event we need A11 class processors in all of these iPads to get the AI acceleration hardware.   

One of the reasons id like to see a Mac based on Apples ARM processors is to get access to that AI acceleration hardware.  While i like to think of the current solutions as being 6502 level i do see a big future for such hardware.  It will take Apple sometime to rework the OS and apps to completely exploit such tech though.  However now is the time to get in on the ground floor.  

SE2 is something else im waiting on.   I really dont care about advanced features here other than A11 to power AI software.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    That's a lot of HW expectations for a developer keynote. Granted, it's more than just developers that tune in at this point, and most years they do reveal (and launch) new HW products, but that sounds like more HW expectations than an Autumn event.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Don't expect too much for Mac. Apple is now a portable device company. The desktop is dead.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    greg uvangreg uvan Posts: 86member
    Its so obvious in these videos that they're reading, rather than speaking, that I find it very distracting and hard to watch.

There is something about the intonation, where they're not quite sure what the point of the sentence they're speaking is until it's already come out of their mouth. 

I thought it was just the one guy who often does videos here, but, now I feel like I unfairly blamed it on him. This guy has the same problem. To make these videos feel more natural, they should know the material better, have some essential bullet points so they don't miss anything, and then just let them free speak. They should ad lib most of the intermediate words.
    gutengelStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 38
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    nunzy said:
    Don't expect too much for Mac. Apple is now a portable device company. The desktop is dead.
    And all the apps used on those portable devices get developed where?
    nunzy
  • Reply 7 of 38
    vadimyuryevvadimyuryev Posts: 170member
    greg uvan said:
    Its so obvious in these videos that they're reading, rather than speaking, that I find it very distracting and hard to watch.

There is something about the intonation, where they're not quite sure what the point of the sentence they're speaking is until it's already come out of their mouth. 

I thought it was just the one guy who often does videos here, but, now I feel like I unfairly blamed it on him. This guy has the same problem. To make these videos feel more natural, they should know the material better, have some essential bullet points so they don't miss anything, and then just let them free speak. They should ad lib most of the intermediate words.
    Thanks for the input. We can definitely try that, just a lot more efficient with the teleprompter. Lots of info packed into a short video. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 38
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    What to expect?
    A lot of hot air
    Promises that won't be kept
    and a lot of disappointed people.

Sorry to be rather down but From years of getting my hopes up when attending big events, I have become somewhat jaded with these events.
    I'd love to be surprised but this even may be the worst yet for blockbuster content.

DavidAlGregory
  • Reply 9 of 38
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    greg uvan said:

Totally agree with you, the speaker could come across much more natural if they knew the info better. You can also do cuts and match with images of the products grabbing the best shot and easing the editing. Sometimes it feels like the speakers needs to do the video in one shot and they look even stressed. However, Ai have been improving a lot on the videos from better graphics and motion media to scrip and set design. I think you can play also with more provocative titles for the videos "Top 5 things to expect in WWDC 2018" (not as professional, but it'd draw more views). Now PLEASEEEE improve your podcast, sound quality has been pretty bad and there's no sound design whatsoever. Most of the new interviews are pretty interesting, but they need more structure, they feel too casual conversation making them kinda long. Keep up the good work guys!
  • Reply 10 of 38
    SendMcjakSendMcjak Posts: 66unconfirmed, member
    Lol @AirPlay2 ... announced WWDC '17 -- ready (maybe?) WWDC '18
  • Reply 11 of 38
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    This is a developer conference after all - I'd expect to hear a lot about the progress of Swift. Perhaps they will announce the release of Version 5.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Sexxxbots with multiple SCSI ports for, um, daisy ... chaining.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    My prediction: NEW BIONIC APPLE AIRPODS 2

• Reply 14 of 38
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    And I hope there will be some big improvements with Siri in the works.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 15 of 38
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    SendMcjak said:
    Lol @AirPlay2 ... announced WWDC '17 -- ready (maybe?) WWDC '18
    While always something can catch you by surprise and lead to a later than planned rollout, and in spite of having no hard data, I feel that the rate of features and/or products with a significant time gap between announcement and actual shipment is increasing at Apple. If true, I’m curious where it’s coming from. I’d expect that having much more resources available should lead to a better overall possibility for a project to finish on time, on scope and “on quality”. Unless, of course, the growth lead to a significant  loss of efficiency not unknown to large corporations. 
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    that photo looks like someone trying to use an iPad with their foot

I appreciate you guys taking the time to write up these features in addition to posting video. I don't have the patience to sit around and watch, greatly prefer to skim.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 17 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    greg uvan said:

Thanks for the input. We can definitely try that, just a lot more efficient with the teleprompter. Lots of info packed into a short video. 
    Efficient isn't always the same as good.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    wizard69 said:

One of the reasons id like to see a Mac based on Apples ARM processors is to get access to that AI acceleration hardware.  While i like to think of the current solutions as being 6502 level i do see a big future for such hardware.  It will take Apple sometime to rework the OS and apps to completely exploit such tech though.  However now is the time to get in on the ground floor.
    The A10X holds its own running Affinity Photo.  I think a lot of people are locked into PC architecture and numbers without looking at the workflow productivity. Perhaps some major 1st or 3rd party Pro titles reworked for iPad would showcase Apple silicon and provide more comfort for a Mac switch.

I see WWDC as Apple’s Pro event.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    andy-ukandy-uk Posts: 26member
    iPad Mini spec bump, pleeeeease. I'm still on the Mini 2, iOS 11 absolutely crippled it but there's no point upgrading to the Mini 4 just to go from an A7 to an A8 processor so I've got everything crossed hoping Apple will give it one last refresh before they give up on it, like they did with the iPod Touch a couple of years ago. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 38
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    There are no iPad leaks, maybe Apple really cracked down the leakers this time. Perhaps the coming announcements will take all of us by surprise!
    watto_cobra