Apple CarPlay added to 2019 Subaru WRX line

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2020
Subaru's WRX sport compact, famous for its use in racing, will get Apple CarPlay support for the first time in the 2019 model year.

2019 Subaru WRX

The standard WRX will support both CarPlay and Android Auto through a 6.5-inch Starlink interface. People driving the WRX Premium or WRX STI will get a 7-inch Starlink system by default, but people choosing the WRX Limited will have to add it as an optional upgrade, in spite of the trim being more expensive than the Premium.

Subaru has been relatively slow to grow its CarPlay lineup. It now has the platform on the Ascent, Crosstrek, Forester, and Impreza.

The 2019 WRX series will roll out to dealerships this summer. The standard WRX will cost about $28,080 after destination and delivery fees, while the Premium will start at $30,380, and the Limited at $32,680. Going for an STI will raise the pricetag to $37,480.

Subaru hasn't said whether the new cars will support wireless CarPlay. The vast majority of vehicles are wired-only however, making wireless unlikely.

CarPlay lets iPhone owners access Siri and compatible apps from a larger, more driver-friendly interface. It's available on over 400 vehicles in all, though often as an option or on more expensive cars.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Hopefully it will be standard over the line. My 2016 VW Golf had it standard way back then. VW still includes it on all models, unlike BMW that charges for it. Cadillac runs an ad talking about available (read extra cost) CarPlay.

Does Apple charge a licensing fee or do they give it away?

As to Subaru, I was looking at the Crosstek about a month ago and could not get a straight answer from the dealer if it was included on all trims. 
  • Reply 2 of 11
    gerardgerard Posts: 83member
    I have a 2018 Subaru Legacy. It has wireless CarPlay. I would think whatever models they add would have the same option. I use the wired connection; it’s not really an annoyance for me as the phone needs to be plugged in to be charged anyway. 
  • Reply 3 of 11
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    It is proven that those who used(on rental cars) carplay are pleasantly surprised and looking the same feature into there next vehicle purchase. Hope, the trend of supporting more models not only continues but to accelerate and that requires ever new car potential buyer first ask dealer if there choice model has built-in CarPlay ? If not than either walk away or demand significant price cut. Don't be ignorant and uninformed when you will be driving that new vehicle for at least 10 years. Also, consider resale value without carplay support after few years/
  • Reply 4 of 11
    crudmancrudman Posts: 56member
    Hopefully it will be standard over the line. My 2016 VW Golf had it standard way back then. VW still includes it on all models, unlike BMW that charges for it. Cadillac runs an ad talking about available (read extra cost) CarPlay.

As to Subaru, I was looking at the Crosstek about a month ago and could not get a straight answer from the dealer if it was included on all trims. 
    It is available on all current model year trim levels of the Crosstrek, Impreza, Legacy, Outback, BRZ and Ascent. Forester will come later this year once the 2019 models are available, and CarPlay will be on all trim levels there. Only difference between trim levels is 6.5” vs 7” vs 8” screen size as far as I’m aware. 

In in all cases it is/will be wired unfortunately. Would love to see wireless CarPlay and a wireless charging spot on the Subbie line-up. Took a 2019 Volvo XC40 for a test drive recently and it had a wireless charging nook but still wired CarPlay which just seems wrong. Maybe most don’t do wireless as most of the head units are both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and AA maybe doesn’t have a wireless variant (total guess as I don’t know or care about AA)...?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    crudmancrudman Posts: 56member
    gerard said:
    I have a 2018 Subaru Legacy. It has wireless CarPlay. I would think whatever models they add would have the same option. I use the wired connection; it’s not really an annoyance for me as the phone needs to be plugged in to be charged anyway. 
    Really it has wireless CarPlay? Here in Canada I‘m pretty sure it’s only wired...but could be wrong (my wife tells me I am frequently wrong, but I don’t trust her judgment...she married me after all). I’ve got a 2014 Crosstrek which doesn’t have CarPlay at all, but I typically stay up to date on most Subbie things and wireless is news to me!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    crudman said:

It is available on all current model year trim levels of the Crosstrek, Impreza, Legacy, Outback, BRZ and Ascent. Forester will come later this year once the 2019 models are available, and CarPlay will be on all trim levels there. Only difference between trim levels is 6.5” vs 7” vs 8” screen size as far as I’m aware. 

In in all cases it is/will be wired unfortunately. Would love to see wireless CarPlay and a wireless charging spot on the Subbie line-up. Took a 2019 Volvo XC40 for a test drive recently and it had a wireless charging nook but still wired CarPlay which just seems wrong. Maybe most don’t do wireless as most of the head units are both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and AA maybe doesn’t have a wireless variant (total guess as I don’t know or care about AA)...?
    Those with newer BMW touted best experience with wireless Carplay. Not sure why car manufacturers are reluctant to support wireless carplay when required pieces like built in Wifi, Bluetooth and USB carplay is already supported by them. When few more start supporting wireless carplay, rest will join. Moreover, customer also need to be informed the benefits and demand from car manufacturers such featurers/
  • Reply 7 of 11
    adbeadbe Posts: 29member
    crudman said:
    gerard said:
    Really it has wireless CarPlay? Here in Canada I‘m pretty sure it’s only wired...but could be wrong (my wife tells me I am frequently wrong, but I don’t trust her judgment...she married me after all). I’ve got a 2014 Crosstrek which doesn’t have CarPlay at all, but I typically stay up to date on most Subbie things and wireless is news to me!
    Can't speak for @gerard, but my USDM 2018 Outback, which has the top-of-the-line head-unit does not do wireless CarPlay   Bluetooth audio et-al are all present of course, but CarPlay requires the phone to be docked.  I'm cool with that personally, 'cos GPS on my commute would kill my battery, but my lightning port is a little flaky at times, so the connection between the phone and the car can drop if I knock the phone.  

• Reply 8 of 11
    adbeadbe Posts: 29member

wood1208 said:
    Those with newer BMW touted best experience with wireless Carplay. Not sure why car manufacturers are reluctant to support wireless carplay when required pieces like built in Wifi, Bluetooth and USB carplay is already supported by them. When few more start supporting wireless carplay, rest will join. Moreover, customer also need to be informed the benefits and demand from car manufacturers such featurers/
    What are the benefits?  For my use case, it's only downsides.  My wife and I both own phones, and both drive the car, so I'd need to be constantly flipping between devices via the head-unit (BT audio is PITA for the same reason), and non-docked usage just drains the battery during a perfect opportunity to charge the battery.  Wireless charging would help in the latter case of course, but then I'm not sure the time savings between placing the phone in a cradle, or just sticking the lightning jack in the hole are worth getting excited about.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 9 of 11
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Does Apple pay manufacturers to include CarPlay?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Just in time for my leasing a 2019 Subaru Forrester with their new Global platform and CarPlay. My wife has the 2018 CrossTrek and loves driving it while enjoying CarPlay with the larger screen.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    wood1208 said:
    It is proven that those who used(on rental cars) carplay are pleasantly surprised and looking the same feature into there next vehicle purchase. Hope, the trend of supporting more models not only continues but to accelerate and that requires ever new car potential buyer first ask dealer if there choice model has built-in CarPlay ? If not than either walk away or demand significant price cut. Don't be ignorant and uninformed when you will be driving that new vehicle for at least 10 years. Also, consider resale value without carplay support after few years/
    Who keeps a vehicle for 10years nowadays? I would've thought 3-4years tops. I had my first car for 12years granted, but it was a highly modified show-car that I'd spent all my earnings on as a teenager. Apart from my classic VWs, I change our regular cars every 3 years before they start needing any major work done and still have some warranty. Oh and I had a rental with Carplay in it a few months back, awful first impression, purely down to needing to be plugged in. Bluetooth connections have been prevalent for over a decade now and it felt like going backwards - I know Wireless CarPlay is coming (which will transform the experience) but those less interested in tech-news would have been left with a bad impression that might stick imho.