Apple employees in force at Display Week, vastly outnumbering rivals

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Engineers and executives reportedly attended this week's Display Week conference in Los Angeles en masse, signaling a strong interest from the company in upcoming display technologies.

iphonex-impaled

Officials with the expo said that 369 workers were registered to attend, an increase from 280 in 2017. Both numbers vastly outweighed this year's attendance by Amazon, Google, and Oculus, which had 25, 40, and 23 people in that order.

Apple's contingent presented 18 talks, up from 11 last year, but as usual dodged any mention of future products. Some members reportedly expressed interest in the screens of VR headsets made by Japan Display, however, notable given that they support resolutions over 1,000 pixels per inch, about double most current VR helmets. Apple's future AR/VR headset has been rumored as adopting 8K eyepieces when it ships in 2020 or later.

"It's hard to look around without seeing attendee tags with Apple written on them. Apple is clearly making a statement," DisplayMate's Ray Soneira told Bloomberg about Apple's attendance. "Apple is trying to show the display industry that they're a top-tier screen developer now, in addition to being a buyer."

Other staff from the company were said to be looking at the latest Samsung panels. The latter is the exclusive supplier of OLED panels for the iPhone X, and will likely maintain a dominant role with this year's 5.8- and 6.5-inch iPhones, as the only party with large-scale OLED capacity. Apple is also believed to be preparing a 6.1-inch LCD model, which could use LG parts.

In the long run Apple is developing MicroLED technology. It will likely debut first on the Apple Watch, but could be especially useful in products like an AR headset where space, weight, and power consumption come at a premium.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    An engineer from a competing firm told Apple they're going to all meet out back for a late-night brawl to settle who has the best engineers. Accordingly, Apple brought their whole crew.
    radarthekatSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 12
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) Maybe that's still an exceptionally large number, but looking at the number of products Apple sells with displays I'd expect that Apple would outnumber all those other company's mentioned, especially when you look at products with displays from all companies and how they relate to profits.

2) I hope microLED bears fruit soon.
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Soli said:
    1) Maybe that's still an exceptionally large number, but looking at the number of products Apple sells with displays I'd expect that Apple would outnumber all those other company's mentioned, especially when you look at products with displays from all companies and how they relate to profits.

SID/Display Week gives out "Best in Show" awards. I saw a press release that one of the awards was for microLED, but the SID website hasn't been updated with the 2018 awards yet...

...found the press release from AUO:
    https://www.auo.com/en-global/New_Archive/detail/News_Archive_Awords_20180524
    Soli
  • Reply 4 of 12
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:

SID/Display Week gives out "Best in Show" awards. I saw a press release that one of the awards was for microLED, but the SID website hasn't been updated with the 2018 awards yet...

Do you think microLED is ready for mass production at costs and quality that are feasible for Apple's needs this year? I'd think that if it's possible that even just the Series 4 Apple Watch, even if just in the higher-end Watches, would be a great fit to get microLED to market.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Soli said:

3) A few of those Apple employees attending likely have the ability to cut a check for a production facility, not to mention production units, should that be needed to consummate a deal for line item 2) above.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

Do you think microLED is ready for mass production at costs and quality that are feasible for Apple's needs this year? I'd think that if it's possible that even just the Series 4 Apple Watch, even if just in the higher-end Watches, would be a great fit to get microLED to market.
    I haven’t seen any reports of a microLED display anywhere near suitable for an Apple Watch or iPhone yet. If Apple is going to bring it, they may have to do it themselves, or at least without Samsung. Samsung has a $10,000 technology demo of their MicroOLED display but it’s huge—146” for a 3840x2160 4K screen. Samsung said at CES a couple months ago they should be able to get that to a 75” display within 2-5 years. 

It’s going to take multiple technological breakthroughs to get the pixel density needed for small displays, but Apple has an OLED R&D group working on doing exactly that. Whether it’s three years away or 10-20, who knows?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Nameo_Nameo_ Posts: 34member
    It’s more than impressive how Apple wasn’t even known for its screen development capabilities just a decade ago and today they’re one of the best screen developers. I hope and surely believe they will keep up the good work.
    jdiamondwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    jdiamondjdiamond Posts: 124member
    Nameo_ said:
    It’s more than impressive how Apple wasn’t even known for its screen development capabilities just a decade ago and today they’re one of the best screen developers. I hope and surely believe they will keep up the good work.
    Yeah - Apple IPS laptop displays always stood out to me, and I'll never forget when Apple launched the 30" 2,500x1,600 monitor, and then later when they launched the first retina displays. These were awesome landmarks. Can't wait to see Apple lead with microLED in the future. And they have an edge few can beat - they can charge 10x what everyone else can for their products.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

I don’t know about this year, but I would not put it past Apple to surprise us all. 
    Here is a good source of microLED info:
    https://www.ledinside.com/taxonomy/term/16313
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

I haven’t seen any reports of a microLED display anywhere near suitable for an Apple Watch or iPhone yet. If Apple is going to bring it, they may have to do it themselves, or at least without Samsung. Samsung has a $10,000 technology demo of their MicroOLED display but it’s huge—146” for a 3840x2160 4K screen. Samsung said at CES a couple months ago they should be able to get that to a 75” display within 2-5 years. 

It’s going to take multiple technological breakthroughs to get the pixel density needed for small displays, but Apple has an OLED R&D group working on doing exactly that. Whether it’s three years away or 10-20, who knows?
    The display industry is now referring to those larger displays like the Samsung and Sony’s CLEDIS display as “mini LED”. The LEDs themselves are still quite small, but the pixel pitch is larger than what would be used on a smaller mobile or AR device display. 
  • Reply 11 of 12
    bryankdbryankd Posts: 8member
    Yeah - Apple IPS laptop displays always stood out to me, and I'll never forget when Apple launched the 30" 2,500x1,600 monitor, and then later when they launched the first retina displays. These were awesome landmarks. Can't wait to see Apple lead with microLED in the future. And they have an edge few can beat - they can charge 10x what everyone else can for their products.
    jdiamond said:
    Nameo_ said:
    I believe, jdiamond, is referring to the Apple Cinema HD Display which is 30-inch (2560 x 1600), and was the best birthday present I ever received (price tag was around $3,000 at the time!). I still use it to this day and it is one of the best products Apple has ever produced. Although, It takes 2 different converters to make it compatible with my Early 2009 Mac Mini! I dream of Apple coming out with a great new Mac Mini which would support multiple new (dream as well) Apple 30" Retina Display. To me the 30" monitor is such an advantage over a 27". I also have a 2017 iMac 5k Retina Display, with the added (Apple approved) LG UltraFine 5K display. Both are great, but I still find the 30" monitor to help my workflow, so my workhorse machine is still the 9-year old Mac Mini (despite the inability to upgrade to Sierra/High Sierra). And just to clarify, am very aware of the Sierra Patch Tool for my Mac Mini; however, my Mac Mini had the Broadcom BCM4321 WiFi module which is not compatible with the patch : ( And I've upgraded it so much in the past, I would just love for Apple to come out with a new Mac Mini!).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Better not wear apple logo on the sleeves.   You get more info at SID. Otherwise, you might get marketing Bluff instead. Talk over coffee or a beer with lead scientist or engineer might get you a early prototype, or demo units to play with (plus an nda of course). Good to see apple beef up the attendance to finally saw the value of SID. (compare to 5-7 years ago).