Wireless Apple CarPlay support included in new Pioneer dash receivers

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2020
Pioneer has launched two new CarPlay-compatible receiver units, both of them including a rare feature in the CarPlay world: wireless compatibility.

The W4400NEX.
The W4400NEX.

The AVH-W4400NEX has a 7-inch resistive touchscreen, and features like Bluetooth, SiriusXM, two USB ports, and SD card support. A CD/DVD drive is also present for people using physical media.

The AVH-W8400NEX is largely identical, the major addition being a capactive touchscreen. Whereas resistive screens detect pressure, capacitive ones use only the electrical signal from a human finger, making them more responsive. The latter technology is used on most smartphones and tablets, such as Apple's iPhone and iPad.

The W8400NEX.
The W8400NEX.

Pioneer is selling the W4400NEX through retailers like Crutchfield for $699.99. The W8400NEX is $1,199.99.

Wireless CarPlay has been extremely rare so far, the first aftermarket option being the Alpine iLX-107, released just last June. BMW was the first automaker to offer native wireless though, beginning in 2016.

Most CarPlay-compatible cars and receivers still force users to connect an iPhone via a Lightning cable. Indeed Pioneer's new receivers still have a wired option.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
      Do they have built in support for a back up camera installation?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If many brands cars have built-in support for Wifi, Bluetooth and USB Carplay than why holding back supporting wireless carplay ?
  • Reply 3 of 25
    wood1208 said:
    If many brands cars have built-in support for Wifi, Bluetooth and USB Carplay than why holding back supporting wireless carplay ?
    Good question. I have wired CarPlay (also Android Auto) and build-in wireless charger. How much sense does that make? I expect it's just the car maker being cheap (GM in my case). Don't get me wrong, I love CP, but even plugged in CP is a bit dodgy, maybe they thought wireless would be unusable.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    levansiclevansic Posts: 5member
    I have the Alpine iLX-107 in my wife's car. It is awesome, and Wireless CarPlay is what all CarPlay should be! What puzzles me here is that the Alpine unit with wireless CarPlay has been out a year, has a capacitive touch screen, and cost around $700. Pioneer's equivalent is starting around $1,200, and boasts a bunch of technology that is completely obviated by CarPlay (SD, CD/DVD, SiriusXM). How many people are going to see $500 in value from the inclusion of the old tech?
    redgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    I can see this into turning: "Please reactivate service. Find neares WiFi connection" in the middle of nowhere because Apple foiund that car is too far from where it was registered so it must be stolen. Just like with iPhone roaming use in one of networks overseas.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    galfridusgalfridus Posts: 44member
    That's too bad. Though, really... I think it's been about six months since I last looked at the Vevo app on my Apple TV, so...
    levansic said:
    ...boasts a bunch of technology that is completely obviated by CarPlay (SD, CD/DVD, SiriusXM)...
    Before I had kids I thought the DVD was on its way out. Let me tell you: It's not. Sure, you could rip them and maybe use CarPlay show video on a second and/or third screen... but I don't think you can ever anticipate which DVD to rip (and do you really want to rip them all?).
    lepton
  • Reply 7 of 25
    HeliBumHeliBum Posts: 129member
    levansic said:
    I have the Alpine iLX-107 in my wife's car. It is awesome, and Wireless CarPlay is what all CarPlay should be! What puzzles me here is that the Alpine unit with wireless CarPlay has been out a year, has a capacitive touch screen, and cost around $700. Pioneer's equivalent is starting around $1,200, and boasts a bunch of technology that is completely obviated by CarPlay (SD, CD/DVD, SiriusXM). How many people are going to see $500 in value from the inclusion of the old tech?

I looked at the Alpine receiver and the Pioneer has a few things going for it that are pertinent. A 13-band equalizer is a big one. I'm pretty picky about the frequency response and my Pioneer 4100NEX is the first head unit I've had that gave me the sound quality I've always wanted. Also, SiriusXM is not completely obviated: if you're in the boonies with no cell service, you can still get satellite radio.

I fully expect these head units to support rear camera video. My 4100NEX does. In fact, it has two video inputs.

edited May 2018
  • Reply 8 of 25
    galfridus said:
    That's too bad. Though, really... I think it's been about six months since I last looked at the Vevo app on my Apple TV, so...
    levansic said:
    ...boasts a bunch of technology that is completely obviated by CarPlay (SD, CD/DVD, SiriusXM)...
    Before I had kids I thought the DVD was on its way out. Let me tell you: It's not. Sure, you could rip them and maybe use CarPlay show video on a second and/or third screen... but I don't think you can ever anticipate which DVD to rip (and do you really want to rip them all?).
    I'm the opposite, I kept and built up a wee collection of DVDs for my kids, even bought a bluray player for my son's room... They're NEVER watched - anything they would want to watch a movie on has access to netflix/primevideo/skystore/etc.etc. even when we go out in the campervan I can download a few films and tv series onto the 128gb ipad for them - or just watch over 4G as it has an unlimited data simcard (£10 per month, we get epic cheap data in uk)
  • Reply 9 of 25
    With so many cars integrating so much into the OEM head units these days, how many people are putting aftermarket units like this in?

The touch didplay in many cars is used for ride settings, tire pressure monitoring, launch control, etc. 
  • Reply 10 of 25
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Posts: 555member
    With so many cars integrating so much into the OEM head units these days, how many people are putting aftermarket units like this in?

The touch didplay in many cars is used for ride settings, tire pressure monitoring, launch control, etc. 
    There are MILLIONS of used vehicles out there, many of which still get upgraded with the latest aftermarket tech. There are still many new cars with basic head units, and many of those owners are upgrading to aftermarket for various reasons.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

I am pretty sureI read some of these after market products can include many of the features you describe such as tire pressures.  It is also plausible some in car systems are not as sophisticated as after market products especially those more than a year or two old,  so there is also the upgrade market waiting to happen.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    Apple CarPlay so needs to go wireless especially with many cars now offering wireless charging but it needs to be a Bluetooth or a software solution not new hardware for the cars as the chance of upgrading a new car hardware is doesn’t happen until you buy a new car. Ive just bought a car with wireless charging and the though of having to plug my iphone in every time I want to use AppleCar play puts me off wanting to use it.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I wonder why the new Kenwood units have wireless android auto but not wireless CarPlay?
    When these pioneer units were first announced in January pioneer made a big deal about wireless android but had nothing to say about wireless CarPlay. Now when they are released, Lo! They have wireless CarPlay too! 

Surely an update to the Kenwoods would enable wireless CarPlay? Because otherwise they seem a better option than the pioneers. Better screens and equalisers, better multiple phone use etc.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 14 of 25
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    laytech said:
    Apple CarPlay so needs to go wireless especially with many cars now offering wireless charging but it needs to be a Bluetooth or a software solution not new hardware for the cars as the chance of upgrading a new car hardware is doesn’t happen until you buy a new car. Ive just bought a car with wireless charging and the though of having to plug my iphone in every time I want to use AppleCar play puts me off wanting to use it.
    Maybe Apple could release a wireless dongle for wired CarPlay head units? Apple likes dongles.

Actually, why hasn’t someone simply done that?

edited May 2018
  • Reply 15 of 25
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    MacPro said:
      Do they have built in support for a back up camera installation?
    Yes. All the aftermarket CarPlay units we have tested from Pioneer have supported backup camera, as well as the Kenwood and Alpine units we have tested.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    wood1208 said:

It's hard to tell if those cars have Wi-Fi tied into the entertainment system, or if they just provide data services in-car as a hotspot. If they aren't a part of the infotainment system, then it won't work.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 25
    entropys said:
    I wonder why the new Kenwood units have wireless android auto but not wireless CarPlay?
    When these pioneer units were first announced in January pioneer made a big deal about wireless android but had nothing to say about wireless CarPlay. Now when they are released, Lo! They have wireless CarPlay too! 

Surely an update to the Kenwoods would enable wireless CarPlay? Because otherwise they seem a better option than the pioneers. Better screens and equalisers, better multiple phone use etc.

Be careful with "Surely!" - updates to these systems are pretty infrequent. They all have the ability to be updated, but only Pioneer has ever issued updates to systems that I can recall. When we had the SPH-DA120 for testing, and reviewed the AVH-4100NEX, they did have updates during the review period, but did not add functionality like wireless at that time.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 25
    MacPro said:

I am pretty sureI read some of these after market products can include many of the features you describe such as tire pressures.  It is also plausible some in car systems are not as sophisticated as after market products especially those more than a year or two old,  so there is also the upgrade market waiting to happen.

Aftermarket products require an adapter to the car's bus to be able to talk to those features. It is possible, but is not provided by the aftermarket radio, as much as it is the adapter to the aftermarket system.

Honestly, there are a ton of people who should install these. People are keeping vehicles longer than ever these days, as much as 11.5 years. 1 in 4 vehicles on the road was made before 2000. I have installed these units in a 2001 Honda CR-V, a 2007 Honda Odyssey, and a 2005 Cadillac CTS. The availability of single-DIN units from Pioneer and Alpine make it even easier to install in a wider range of vehicles.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    entropys said:
    laytech said:
    Maybe Apple could release a wireless dongle for wired CarPlay head units? Apple likes dongles.

Actually, why hasn’t someone simply done that?

There -is- a chinese dongle that claims to add wired CarPlay to any android based headunit. We have yet to try testing it. Unfortunately, even though the android head units are likely touchscreen, the dongle provides a 5-way dpad, and you cursor around the CarPlay interface, pressing a button to select items. If you -could- make a dongle for wired carplay to make it wireless, it wouldn't be doing what wireless carplay is doing - you wouldn't get the battery icon on screen, you'd essentially be making wireless USB, which has been around for about ten years, but isn't great.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    adm1 said:
    galfridus said:
    levansic said:
    I'm the opposite, I kept and built up a wee collection of DVDs for my kids, even bought a bluray player for my son's room... They're NEVER watched - anything they would want to watch a movie on has access to netflix/primevideo/skystore/etc.etc. even when we go out in the campervan I can download a few films and tv series onto the 128gb ipad for them - or just watch over 4G as it has an unlimited data simcard (£10 per month, we get epic cheap data in uk)
    Many of the CarPlay head units have DVD drives built into them, have HDMI ports on the back if you want to use other inputs, and have second-third display output if you have the screens in the ceiling or headrests. Options!
    watto_cobra