Apple to unlock iPhone's NFC chip capabilities in June, report says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,485member
    This is just typical Apple. Allowing Apps to access NFC opens up lots of possibilities for abuse (like someone using a phone to "skim" credit cards from people on the train).

Obviously Apple was working on the necessary frameworks to allow Apps to work with NFC while still keeping privacy/security. I'm sure NFC won't be wide open, and will still have some limitations.
    cornchipairnerd
  • Reply 22 of 31
    glee217glee217 Posts: 15member
    So does this mean that it will be easier to connect to NFC headphones like the Bose qc35? I think right now it requires a Nfc app to connect?
  • Reply 23 of 31
    softekysofteky Posts: 136member
    Apple’s iPhone and Watch have been using NFC to open Bank of America ATM doors for over a year. I have been able to double-tap on my watch crown (to invoke Apple Pay), hold the watch very near the ATM-hall door’s credit card dip to cycle the entry door’s magnetic lock. 

It it has been so much fun using the Watch to get into BofA Park Slope ATM, I’ve been using that set of ATMs in preference to any other bank’s. Since I have not seen the facility adopted anywhere else, I assumed BofA were running a pilot test with Apple. I’ve helped so many people get through the door (since the credit card dip there is so finicky), I bet I’ve helped sell a bunch of Apple Watches!
  • Reply 24 of 31
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Soli said:
    SendMcjak said:
    I doubt that was the pitch made to executive management, though -- "Guys, it'll be a great backup option!" --or-- "Hilton will be the leader in seemless, backup room access."
    It's how I'd pitch it. 
    Me too, but that's not how Hilton pitches it.
    edited May 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 31
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Apple finally going to open up NFC capabilities!  LOL!
    You really don't quite understand how Apple does things, do you?
    StrangeDaysRayz2016williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    SendMcjak said:
    I doubt that was the pitch made to executive management, though -- "Guys, it'll be a great backup option!" --or-- "Hilton will be the leader in seemless, backup room access."
    It's how I'd pitch it. 
    Me too, but that's not how Hilton pitches it.
    How a company markets to customers and how they pitch it as a potential cost savings option, especially if that's toward forget customers, aren't usually the same thing.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    glee217 said:
    So does this mean that it will be easier to connect to NFC headphones like the Bose qc35? I think right now it requires a Nfc app to connect?
    1) We don't know how far they'll extend it, if at all. Watch the June 4th WWDC Keynote to see what will be coming to iOS 12 in September.

2) I don't know much Apple has to be involved getting iOS to play nice with getting NFC to talk to an app or BT to allow your Bose headphones to pair and unpair, but unless if it's something Apple will have to be willful of when they design APIs for NFC I'd bet against this feature in Bose coming to iOS and watchOS.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 28 of 31
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,485member
    softeky said:
    Apple’s iPhone and Watch have been using NFC to open Bank of America ATM doors for over a year. I have been able to double-tap on my watch crown (to invoke Apple Pay), hold the watch very near the ATM-hall door’s credit card dip to cycle the entry door’s magnetic lock. 

It it has been so much fun using the Watch to get into BofA Park Slope ATM, I’ve been using that set of ATMs in preference to any other bank’s. Since I have not seen the facility adopted anywhere else, I assumed BofA were running a pilot test with Apple. I’ve helped so many people get through the door (since the credit card dip there is so finicky), I bet I’ve helped sell a bunch of Apple Watches!

I don’t think there’s anything special going on (like Apple testing new software features). I think their doors are simply set up to act like an NFC merchant terminal to scan tap & pay cards. They just don’t charge anything or do an actual transaction. Once they see the card details the door is opened.

Have you looked at your Watch after opening the door to see what it says? Do you get the check mark the transaction completed? Or another message?
  • Reply 29 of 31
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Soli said:
    SendMcjak said:
    IMO, the current, app-based system is more of a dumb marketing play (“Look — Digital Key — we’re innovative!”).  In practice, it in involves more steps than using a physical key, so it fails a basic, technology 101 “Does it make life easier?” test.
    It's not the most convenient option at this point, but it's more than a marketing ploy. It's a great backup option because one is less likely to forget their smartphone in their room over the hotel key they were just issued. It's a great to have a a backup solution.
    I use the digital key whenever I travel. Could it be better? Yes. Couple of things...
    Allow a second user to have a digital key. When we travel now, my wife still needs to use a regular key card.
    Allow me to put an icon on the home screen or a pass in my wallet, so I don't have to open the Hilton app every time I want to go in my room or other area (pool/gym).
    Soli
  • Reply 30 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    rob53 said:
    Are we talking only about NFC or NFC with TouchID? If the latter, does that mean competing payment apps will have access to the Secure Enclave?
    Depends what you mean by access.  Direct read and write access, almost certainly not.  The ability to use Touch/FaceID to validate an NFC transaction; quite possibly.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    … so the only mention of NFC in iOS is regarding "contactless Student ID cards." Probably their way of slowing the rollout of NFC in the name of security. Bummer.

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-12-preview/features/
    Contactless student ID cards With contactless student ID cards in Wallet, you can use your iPhone or Apple Watch anywhere student ID cards are used on and off campus. Simply hold your device near the reader to access places like your dorm, the library, and campus events. Or pay for laundry, snacks, and dinners around campus.