Apple's MacBook and MacBook Pro inventory dwindles ahead of possible update at WWDC

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Apple are pretty consistent with the MBP, we only get a major redesign every 4 years. The 2016 was a major redesign so it would be too early to get any more than a spec bump this year. 

On the other hand maybe this year is a special case though, with keyboard-gate and the pros rebelling. But even so I don't think the special case would take the form of an early redesign, more likely and extra MBP, sort of like we got an extra iMac (the iMac Pro).
  • Reply 22 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    Soli said:
    Have they every mentioned a HW feature, like Face ID, without having HW to demo or sell?
    I mean just not a full redesign or anything. It makes sense to have new laptops, but if it’s more than just a spec bump (which it could be; they’ve silently done spec bumps at keynotes before), it would likely be a secondary feature.
    Personally I'd like for any basic spec bump Macs to launch next week so that the keynote won't have to waste time introducing them.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 23 of 30
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Mike Wuerthele said:
    32GB has been doable for a bit, and was when the 2016 MBP shipped -- but with DDR4 RAM, and not LPDDR3 or LPDDR4.
    I think the points is... then use DDR4 already! (Like I'd imagine Dell is doing.) At least have it as an option on the top end of the 15" line.

looking forward to the new 45W, 6 core model being available :smile: 
    Yeah, I think I'm going desktop, but this would make the decision tough (assuming they fix the keyboard).

Soli said:
    I think it's clear that people don't know the LP in LPDDR RAM means.
    Or, they do and don't care. Just make the laptop a bit bigger and put more battery in. Problem solved. Or, just get less battery life and make it clear that if you order that option, it decreases battery life. So long as it is well communicated, everyone is happy.

sflocal said:
    But some posters from a different thread have said no one is buying these machines because of defective keyboards!   Hence the firesafe prices.  
    I'm sure people see the lower prices and still buy them. It's just geeks like us that follow the news and even know about the bad keyboards. I think the general idea though, is that when have you ever seen Apple products fire-sale'd before? That must indicate something. I'd say the higher prices and TouchBar probably hurt sales, if anything did.

ascii said:
    Apple are pretty consistent with the MBP, we only get a major redesign every 4 years. The 2016 was a major redesign so it would be too early to get any more than a spec bump this year. 
    Yeah, I seriously doubt it would be a redesign. Bumped specs and possibly a v3 keyboard or something like that is what I'd expect. Maybe sans-TouchBar option for higher models.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    I think it's clear that people don't know the LP in LPDDR RAM means.
    Or, they do and don't care. Just make the laptop a bit bigger and put more battery in. Problem solved. Or, just get less battery life and make it clear that if you order that option, it decreases battery life. So long as it is well communicated, everyone is happy.
    It doesn't solve the problem because there's a lot of extra work that needs to go into allowing the atypical RAM, and it should be clear to you by now that Apple has no interest in not using LPDDR RAM in their notebooks or they would've done this year ago, not in 2018 at the brink of LPDDR4 RAM being available for newly released Intel chips.

PS: You should care. If you had taken a moment to see things from Apple's PoV, you'd have been able to understand why this was an unrealistic request.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Soli said:
    It doesn't solve the problem because there's a lot of extra work that needs to go into allowing the atypical RAM, and it should be clear to you by now that Apple has no interest in not using LPDDR RAM in their notebooks or they would've done this year ago, not in 2018 at the brink of LPDDR4 RAM being available for newly released Intel chips.

PS: You should care. If you had taken a moment to see things from Apple's PoV, you'd have been able to understand why this was an unrealistic request.
    Oh, I totally get why Apple doesn't care to do this (at least not yet). 16 GB is plenty of RAM for most coffee shop entrepreneurs.
    But, if Dell can pull it off, I'd think Apple could. It's not *that* big of a problem.
    Though, I suppose if you can't even pull off keeping your product lines up to date, creating new models is next to impossible.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:

Oh, I totally get why Apple doesn't care to do this (at least not yet). 16 GB is plenty of RAM for most coffee shop entrepreneurs.
    But, if Dell can pull it off, I'd think Apple could. It's not *that* big of a problem.
    Though, I suppose if you can't even pull off keeping your product lines up to date, creating new models is next to impossible.
    1) Why does this same fallacy keep cropping up? Dell can do it so Apple should do it is not a valid argument.

2) If you honestly think that 16 GiB RAM is only sufficient for "coffee shop entrepreneurs" in your denigration of all Mac notebooks users, then you really need to get the fuck off of Apple forums because it's their most commonly sold Mac type.
    fastasleepchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 30
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    Soli said:
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:

1) Why does this same fallacy keep cropping up? Dell can do it so Apple should do it is not a valid argument.

2) If you honestly think that 16 GiB RAM is only sufficient for "coffee shop entrepreneurs" in your denigration of all Mac notebooks users, then you really need to get the fuck off of Apple forums because it's their most commonly sold Mac type.
    ^++

The “coffee shop entrepreneurs” thing is really grating. I’ve sat in a coffee shop for real (as well as my office and home office) actively working in After Effects, while encoding in Media Encoder, with Photoshop, Illustrator, Mail, Safari uploading video clips to Vimeo, iTunes playing music, and at least a dozen other apps in the background with 16GB on 2011 MBP without issue. 32GB will be here with that next gen of chips and no sooner, and the only fools will be the ones who whined about it for years in advance, because only they with their very important jobs could see the real need out there for more RAM. 
    Solichiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Soli said:

re: 1 - That wasn't the argument, though. You were talking about how difficult and expensive it would be... I was just pointing out it has been done. The argument for the *should* is that this is supposedly a pro laptop, where at least the top end, or one model, should address pro needs.

re: 2 - That was a bit of a purposeful exaggeration, but I'd think you would get the point. There are a number of professional uses that would benefit from more than 16GB of RAM. And, might it be a bit telling that the 'professional' model of the lineup is the most commonly sold?

fastasleep said:
    The “coffee shop entrepreneurs” thing is really grating. I’ve sat in a coffee shop for real (as well as my office and home office) actively working in After Effects, while encoding in Media Encoder, with Photoshop, Illustrator, Mail, Safari uploading video clips to Vimeo, iTunes playing music, and at least a dozen other apps in the background with 16GB on 2011 MBP without issue. 32GB will be here with that next gen of chips and no sooner, and the only fools will be the ones who whined about it for years in advance, because only they with their very important jobs could see the real need out there for more RAM. 
    Yes, again it's the 'what you do' vs 'a quality of the hardware' distinction. A Chromebook can do professional stuff, too. And, yes, you can do quite a bit with 16GB of RAM and SSD. That isn't the argument. Why does Dell have a model with 32GB if no one needs it? Of course higher end professionals want and need it. Apple apparently isn't delivering it, because the MBP isn't aimed at that market... it's aimed at the coffee shop entrepreneur.

That isn't a slam on coffee shop entrepreneurs. I've been one of those for years (though probably not enough time spent in coffee shops). I'm just saying that there should be at least one model at the high end of the lineup that is aimed at users who need professional grade equipment. Many of the coffee shop entrepreneurs are making a heck of a lot more money (which is probably why Apple is targeting them), but it's a different market and use-case.
    aknabi
  • Reply 29 of 30
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    cgWerks said:
    fastasleep said:
    Yes, again it's the 'what you do' vs 'a quality of the hardware' distinction. A Chromebook can do professional stuff, too. And, yes, you can do quite a bit with 16GB of RAM and SSD. That isn't the argument. Why does Dell have a model with 32GB if no one needs it? Of course higher end professionals want and need it. Apple apparently isn't delivering it, because the MBP isn't aimed at that market... it's aimed at the coffee shop entrepreneur.

That isn't a slam on coffee shop entrepreneurs. I've been one of those for years (though probably not enough time spent in coffee shops). I'm just saying that there should be at least one model at the high end of the lineup that is aimed at users who need professional grade equipment. Many of the coffee shop entrepreneurs are making a heck of a lot more money (which is probably why Apple is targeting them), but it's a different market and use-case.
    Again with the "professional grade equipment". They have (probably rightly so) determined that 99% of users will be JUST FINE with 16GB of RAM until they're able to do more than that with LPDDR4 which is coming SOON ENOUGH. Anyone who absolutely needs more RAM to get their Very Important Job™ done will have invested in a desktop machine already. Mobile computers are built to be mobile, and Apple has absolutely made "professional grade equipment" regardless of your definition of what that is exactly. Just wait a year and chill, there's absolutely no point in continually beating this drum over and over and over when you know for a fact they're not going to build a MBP with a totally different chassis/logic board with DDR4 just to appease the whiners (most of whom don't even *really* need 32GB to get their work done).

• Reply 30 of 30
    fastasleep said:
    Again with the "professional grade equipment". They have (probably rightly so) determined that 99% of users will be JUST FINE with 16GB of RAM until they're able to do more than that with LPDDR4 which is coming SOON ENOUGH. Anyone who absolutely needs more RAM to get their Very Important Job™ done will have invested in a desktop machine already. Mobile computers are built to be mobile, and Apple has absolutely made "professional grade equipment" regardless of your definition of what that is exactly. Just wait a year and chill, there's absolutely no point in continually beating this drum over and over and over when you know for a fact they're not going to build a MBP with a totally different chassis/logic board with DDR4 just to appease the whiners (most of whom don't even *really* need 32GB to get their work done).
    Then why did Dell go through the trouble?