Apple's Phil Schiller confirms Steam Link iOS app failed to meet App Store guidelines

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    dipdog3 said:
    Many VNC apps stream live video and send back commands. You could buy the Golden Gate Bridge using a VNC App without giving Apple a cut. How is this any different?

Seriously? You don’t understand the difference?
    The Steam Link app streams Steam Big Picture Mode.

A remote desktop app, such as Microsoft Remote Desktop for iOS, can stream Steam Big Picture Mode.

In both cases, Steam Big Picture Mode is running on the computer and not on the iOS device.

So what's the difference? 
    williamlondon[Deleted User]
  • Reply 22 of 39
    mjtomlin said:
    dipdog3 said:
    Many VNC apps stream live video and send back commands. You could buy the Golden Gate Bridge using a VNC App without giving Apple a cut. How is this any different?

Seriously!?

If I were Apple I would start revoking developer accounts for developers who promise things they clearly know is against the rules. Sorry, but ANY developer who’s serious about developing for iOS WOULD HAVE READ the contract and UNDERSTOOD what is or isn’t possible. And getting your fan base worked up in a tizzy should be an immediate cancellation of your developer account.

The guidelines have been in place since day one, in fact they’ve become more relaxed since then. There’s no reason ANY developer should attempt to step beyond those rules and hope for the best. Unless they think they can rally their fan base and try to force it. As I said, in that case, cancel their developer account. 
    We don’t know what really happened. We have Apple’s words against Valve’s. But what we do know (and what I suspected all along) is this went to the highest levels of Apple leadership.
    Steve Jobs once said that developers run to the press and lie, to try and get Apple to change their minds, witch they never do, but in reality they know they are using private APIs or trying to sell things without giving Apple their rightful 30%. 
    williamlondonlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 39
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

flydog said:

We don’t know what really happened. We have Apple’s words against Valve’s. But what we do know (and what I suspected all along) is this went to the highest levels of Apple leadership.

You have no proof whatsoever that “this went to the highest levels of Apple leadership”. Having someone like Schiller comment is not proof. It’s more likely he only commented because this became news (after Steam whined about it) and Schiller had nothing to do with the App approval process.
    Of course Schiller had nothing to do with the initial app approval process.  No one has said that he did.  Did you expect the actual employee who conducted the app review to issue a press release? 
    Rogifan’s claim is the decision itself to reject the app was executed at the highest level of Apple corporate leadership, not the just the matter of who explains it. We know Schiller is explaining it, but no one outside of Apple knows where the decision was made. That’s Eric’s point. 

Seems nuance is lost on many. 
    Yes and I still think it was. Mostly because the app was originally approved and then subsequently denied. I do think Apple leadership was the final say in the subsequent denial. And the fact that Schiller gave a response to the denial vs, some unnamed Apple employee in the press shop (or no response at all) makes me believe it even more.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 39
    mjtomlin said:
    dipdog3 said:

Seriously!?

If I were Apple I would start revoking developer accounts for developers who promise things they clearly know is against the rules. Sorry, but ANY developer who’s serious about developing for iOS WOULD HAVE READ the contract and UNDERSTOOD what is or isn’t possible. And getting your fan base worked up in a tizzy should be an immediate cancellation of your developer account.

The guidelines have been in place since day one, in fact they’ve become more relaxed since then. There’s no reason ANY developer should attempt to step beyond those rules and hope for the best. Unless they think they can rally their fan base and try to force it. As I said, in that case, cancel their developer account. 
    Steve Jobs once said that developers run to the press and lie, to try and get Apple to change their minds, witch they never do, but in reality they know they are using private APIs or trying to sell things without giving Apple their rightful 30%. 
    So you’re saying Valve is lying? Also it’s not like Apple’s app review has never made a mistake or had to reverse itself. 
    singularitywilliamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 39
    grogboggrogbog Posts: 10member
    nunzy said:

Apple curates the hell out of these apps. Nobody curates nearly as good as Anple. Google is a joke.
    I hear ya. I'd hate to live in the dark timeline where there are clones, asset flips, copyright infringements and low quality apps on the App Store. 
  • Reply 26 of 39
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    dipdog3 said:

Seriously?  You think there is a difference?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 39
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    flydog said:

You have no proof whatsoever that “this went to the highest levels of Apple leadership”. Having someone like Schiller comment is not proof. It’s more likely he only commented because this became news (after Steam whined about it) and Schiller had nothing to do with the App approval process.
    Of course Schiller had nothing to do with the initial app approval process.  No one has said that he did.  Did you expect the actual employee who conducted the app review to issue a press release? 

If you re-read ericthehalfbee's comment in the context of whom he was responding to, you'll realise that he is on your side.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 39
    dipdog3 said:

Please explain to us your take on the "difference" then? The Steam-link app was no more than a remote desktop type streamer for a connected PC/Mac on the same network.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    KITA said:
    dipdog3 said:

A remote desktop app, such as Microsoft Remote Desktop for iOS, can stream Steam Big Picture Mode.

In both cases, Steam Big Picture Mode is running on the computer and not on the iOS device.

I'm broadly with you, but the packaging of code to support the Steam Controller does mean there's a slight difference.  A VNC app wouldn't normally do something like that.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    KITA said:
    dipdog3 said:

The difference is that one is a general-purpose tool that can also be used to view certain content (and make purchases from within that content), while the other is a limited tool tailored specifically for that content, by the company offering the content. 

It’s the same difference as offering a web browser that allows access to the NYT website and allows you to purchase a subscription or individual articles there, vs. the NYT offering an app that is basically a wrapper limited to displaying their own web content and also allows you to purchase subscriptions and individual articles. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 39
    KITA said: So what's the difference? 
    The difference is that people don't use remote desktop apps to play Steam games. If they did, then nobody would care about Steam Link not being approved. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 39
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    nunzy said:
    mjtomlin said:
    dipdog3 said:

Seriously!?

Exactly. They knew that they were cheating, but they did it anyway. No surprise that the app got booted.

Apple curates the hell out of these apps. Nobody curates nearly as good as Anple. Google is a joke.
    So how was this app approved in the first place? App reviewers at Apple are morons?
    They probably hide the functionality for the review and then turned it on after it was approved thinking they’d get away with breaking the rules.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 39
    jkichline said:
    nunzy said:
    mjtomlin said:
    dipdog3 said:

Seriously!?

Exactly. They knew that they were cheating, but they did it anyway. No surprise that the app got booted.

So how was this app approved in the first place? App reviewers at Apple are morons?
    They probably hide the functionality for the review and then turned it on after it was approved thinking they’d get away with breaking the rules.
    That’s a serious charge to make. One Apple hasn’t accused them of doing.
    iSalmanPak
  • Reply 34 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jkichline said:
    nunzy said:
    mjtomlin said:
    dipdog3 said:

Seriously!?

Given that Apple have done this kind of about facing on App Store approvals before, I think it's far more likely that they're at fault.  Valve aren't the greatest timekeepers, but they're a generally trustworthy company.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

flydog said:

Rogifan’s claim is the decision itself to reject the app was executed at the highest level of Apple corporate leadership, not the just the matter of who explains it. We know Schiller is explaining it, but no one outside of Apple knows where the decision was made. That’s Eric’s point. 

Seems nuance is lost on many. 
    Yes and I still think it was. Mostly because the app was originally approved and then subsequently denied. I do think Apple leadership was the final say in the subsequent denial. And the fact that Schiller gave a response to the denial vs, some unnamed Apple employee in the press shop (or no response at all) makes me believe it even more.
    It’s fine to believe whatever you want for whatever reasons you want, but when you claim it as fact as you did prior is when you become intellectually dishonest. 
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Among some AppleTV users, currently owning two of the devices, I feel that there is a growing dissatisfaction on lack of titles available.  Failed, crippled, or slow releases are becoming a common thing.  To list a few:

Disney Infinity 
    Minecraft 
    Sky

When developers repeatedly miss release dates that were announced by Apple (as in Sky) , or pull support for a game (Disney Infinity), or cripple a game so that it can't work with a larger ecosystem (Minecraft)- it makes the gaming function of the AppleTV more and more of a 'gaming ultra-lite' device. Technically, there is no reason for this. 

Because of these gaps, I know I was looking forward to a steam link approach. It's a shame that Apple was unable to work with this developer and simply come up with a solution.  

Apple seems to be squandering the opportunity they had with this platform, which is unfortunate.  

It would be nice for Appleinsider to do a current review of the platform, and point out many of the current problems with it.  It's way past hobby time now, and current supporters of AppleTV may well jump ship at some point.  Once they do that, there will be a cost to apple in terms of services and subscription revenue lost.

• Reply 37 of 39
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    g_mac_man said:
    Among some AppleTV users, currently owning two of the devices, I feel that there is a growing dissatisfaction on lack of titles available.  Failed, crippled, or slow releases are becoming a common thing.  To list a few:

Disney Infinity 
    Minecraft 
    Sky

When developers repeatedly miss release dates that were announced by Apple (as in Sky) , or pull support for a game (Disney Infinity), or cripple a game so that it can't work with a larger ecosystem (Minecraft)- it makes the gaming function of the AppleTV more and more of a 'gaming ultra-lite' device. Technically, there is no reason for this. 

Because of these gaps, I know I was looking forward to a steam link approach. It's a shame that Apple was unable to work with this developer and simply come up with a solution.  

Apple seems to be squandering the opportunity they had with this platform, which is unfortunate.  

It would be nice for Appleinsider to do a current review of the platform, and point out many of the current problems with it.  It's way past hobby time now, and current supporters of AppleTV may well jump ship at some point.  Once they do that, there will be a cost to apple in terms of services and subscription revenue lost.

It's funny you should mention that. We've got a couple of relevant pieces in the pipeline.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    TastyChimeraTastyChimera Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Why do you all hate steam so much? Like seriously you guys are treating this like some sort of Watergate scandal you losers lol.....
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 39 of 39
    TastyChimeraTastyChimera Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    KITA said: So what's the difference? 
    The difference is that people don't use remote desktop apps to play Steam games. If they did, then nobody would care about Steam Link not being approved. 
    How is that a difference? There’s still an upgraded version of an app that is available on the App Store being purchased and paid for outside of the iOS in app purchase ecosystem.   Apples pissed because steam might sell something that they can’t take a chunk of, that remote desktop app having a premium version that you can upgrade outside of ios, is the exact same problem so why is that app allowed but steam link is not?