Apple iPhone surges 16 percent in US in spite of market's overall decline

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    and the situation is reversed in Europe but no mention of that.
    Here Samsung rules and Apple is a bit part player.
    Lots more Apple phones in the US compared to other regions. The first time I ever saw an iPhone X in the wild was in California in Feb. Hadn't seen one in use anywhere in Canada before that. I've actually only seen one iPhone X in Canada since then.
    Apple sold 52 million phones last quarter, but only 16 million in the US. 36 million were sold outside the US. (Overall, around 2/3 of Apple’s $61 billion in sales last quarter came from outside the US.)

But per capita, you’re right—iPhones are more popular in the US than in any other country, afaik. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 33
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    mike1 said:
    Like all these research reports, I take it with a grain or two of salt. That said, some observations.

1. Four of the top five sellers can be considered having the smaller form factor. I know the X kind of splits the difference with a larger screen and smaller footprint. Still, pretty interesting that the larger screens that everybody seemed to be demanding are not the biggest sellers.

2. The top 5 sellers are all the newest phones. Only the 7 at #7 (ironically) is an "older" phone and the 6s and SE are not on the list. Clearly, having less expensive models is not the be all and end all of Apple's success.

Don't forget that this research is limited to the US and just one quarter.

The iPhone 6 series is probably holding up the bottom end in many other parts of the world where the premium segment isn't so strong. 
    Certainly, the premium segment isn't large in most countries, but it is likely that Apple is capturing most of the revenue and profits in that segment, and also likely to be selling the most units in that segment.

There are likely some exceptions where Samsung, or one of the Chinese OEM's leads in revenues and profits, especially smaller third world countries. This is Apple's advantage, where they are the sole provider in the iOS device marketplace, and where their cheapest iPhone, whether that be the 6, 6s, or the SE, exceeds the ASP of all Android OS OEM's.*

*Google likely has a higher ASP than any of the OEM's, due to the Pixel, but unlikely to have a higher ASP than Apple. Either way, Google's Pixel sales are more than a magnitude smaller than Apple's, so there's that.
    It's possible (especially in Q1/Q2). The 6 series is probably an essential part of the global strategy and yesterday's CAD renders for the notch (Face ID-equipped?) SE looked gorgeous to me. If they are actually real and see a June release, it would be an excellent move on Apple's part. We'll know for sure in short order.
    From some previous data giving the percentage of revenue for each iPhone model, the iPhone X generated 35 times more revenue than the SE, so given that the SE is about 1/3 of the ASP of the iPhone X, Apple is still selling 10x more iPhone X than the SE.

Still, an SE2 would compete very well for those that want a new model iPhone with most of the performance of the iPhone X, but sans some of the features like dual camera and FaceID.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 33
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    slurpy said:
    nunzy said:
    Market share is irrelevant to Wall Street. All they ask is that Apple rake in the profits. And Tim knows how to make them their profits.

Apple doesn't care about market share. Apple cares about total profits. And Apple is killing it. Look at their stock.

Tim probably profited a Billion dollars personally following the latest profit report.
    You make the same mind-numbing post in every fucking thread, like a damn spambot. How the hell are you not banned yet? Mods?

And no, Tim did not probably “profit a billion dollars personally” following the latest report. What a ludicrous statement. 
    OK. A hundred million.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 24 of 33
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    spheric said:
    MacPro said:
    How do the European profits for Apple and Samsung compare?  Is Samsung ruling in that too?  Just curious.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/632599/smartphone-market-share-by-vendor-in-europe/

We don't have current data for Europe from 2018. The latest data I've been able to find is for Q4 2017. 
    And it only costs $49/month (billed annually) to see those numbers.  Thanks ever so much!
  • Reply 25 of 33
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    bonobob said:
    spheric said:
    MacPro said:
    How do the European profits for Apple and Samsung compare?  Is Samsung ruling in that too?  Just curious.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/632599/smartphone-market-share-by-vendor-in-europe/

We don't have current data for Europe from 2018. The latest data I've been able to find is for Q4 2017. 
    And it only costs $49/month (billed annually) to see those numbers.  Thanks ever so much!
    I got there via a google search. No "Buy me now" overlay at the time. Sorry. 

I searched for most popular smartphones europe and clicked through — you get to see the data then. 

• Reply 26 of 33
    tmay said:
    Lots more Apple phones in the US compared to other regions. The first time I ever saw an iPhone X in the wild was in California in Feb. Hadn't seen one in use anywhere in Canada before that. I've actually only seen one iPhone X in Canada since then.
    You haven't seen but one iPhone X in the wild, and yet, the iPhone X has been the best selling single model in the world.

With that, I feel free to ignore your anecdotal evidence.
    Let me add my anecdotal ‘evidence’ to our Canadian commenter. Living in the Emerlad Isle and saw (and held) my first iPhone X (in the wild) last Friday. A thing of beauty!

😎🇮🇪☘️ 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 33
    tmay said:
    You haven't seen but one iPhone X in the wild, and yet, the iPhone X has been the best selling single model in the world.

According the the chart in the article, the iPhone 8 is the best selling phone.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    tmay said:

Here in the Emerald Isle I saw (and held) my first iPhone X (in the wild) just last Friday. So, a little more anecdotal ‘evidence’ to complement our Canadian friend’s account. Obviously, the X is a major success in the US (and, presumably, elsewhere). Just not in every market. Now, if only we had an Apple Store (or three) here to help raise awareness......😎🇮🇪☘️ 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 33
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    tmay said:

From the article;

"Apple CEO Tim Cook has claimed that the $999-plus iPhone X has been the most popular iPhone model worldwide every week since its November launch". 

Given that the chart was granulated by both model and by storage capacity, and Tim Cook's statement was wrt collective numbers of iPhone X, both statements appear true.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 33
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    tmay said:
    tmay said:

From the article;

"Apple CEO Tim Cook has claimed that the $999-plus iPhone X has been the most popular iPhone model worldwide every week since its November launch". 

Given that the chart was granulated by both model and by storage capacity, and Tim Cook's statement was wrt collective numbers of iPhone X, both statements appear true.
    That, and Cook referred to worldwide sales, while that chart is for the US. 
  • Reply 31 of 33
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    Apple did lose a bit of market share towards the end of the last year, but that means nothing.
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/apple-ios-market-share-us-europe-japan-2018-1?r=US&IR=T

Apple is by far the strongest individual vendor on every important European market.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 521member
    I see more and more iPhone X’s as time goes by in Canada. Perhaps it’s people reaching their upgrade window? As an aside, I also notice more people wearing AirPods. Our economy is stable-that could also be a factor. 
  • Reply 33 of 33
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    This year if that rumored iPhone line up is true, it's game over for the enemy.
    It's never game over because the game never ends.