Video: iPhone X vs OnePlus 6 - Benchmarks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    I have no doubt that certain models of OnePlus perform well. Recently, my PC repair technician showed me the latest Vivo (or Oppo, I forget which) and it was pretty sleek. It also had facial unlock that was very fast.

However, for me, the problem with all of these Chinese devices is trust. And, indeed, OnePlus has a poor track record in security and handling user data. Here's a sample in just the last few months:

The first two, which were going for a long time, are real shockers. But, you get what you pay for, I guess.
    edited May 2018 Anilu_777muthuk_vanalingamchiaanton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 101
    nephi80@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    zoetmb said:
    Nice if one wants to save some money, especially now that there's little to no phone subsidies being offered, but in the end it's still Android and I don't trust Android's security.   Even if it's safe from hacking, I don't want Google monitoring me and collecting my data.  

Having said that and even though I don't think they're sold in the U.S., I'd love to see a comparison of the OPPO phone to the iPhone. 
    OnePlus phones are sold in the U.S. 
  • Reply 23 of 101
    nephi80@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    At the first sentence I wondered if this testing was originally done with the base OnePlus model and upon discovering that model didn’t turn out well in comparison to the base iPhone X model the upgraded model was used and written about. Apple Insider, please confirm or deny my curiosity. If confirmed, please explain why you chose to portray the OnePlus in a better light and iPhone in a less flattering light. 

Edit: At the first sentence of the second paragraph, I wondered... ߘ馬t;br>
    You make no sense. Why would you NOT use the top of the line version to match up with Apples top of the line?! OF COURSE you would use the best of both. 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 24 of 101
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Knockoffinsider
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 101
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    Oh dear. Stupidness of Apple fans has no limit. 

People get real. iPhoneX is an overpriced phone.

I have been Apple customer for 20+ years. Currently own the 8 because X is seriously overpriced.

It's a good phone indeed, but is it worth 1500$ (Europe price)? Nope! Not to mention the glass which sooner or later breaks. Costs a god damn fortune to replace.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 26 of 101
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

Benchmarks

Starting off with Geekbench 4, the iPhone X completely destroys the OnePlus in single core performance. The One Plus' multi-core score comes closer to the iPhone than any other Android device we've tested, but the iPhone X is still about 15% faster overall. Next up is the Geekbench 4 graphics test, where the OnePlus 6 scores impressively close to the iPhone X. 

Moving onto the AnTuTu benchmark, the OnePlus manages to beat out the iPhone X by almost 30%. AnTuTu's HTML 5 test crowned the iPhone X the winner, but not by much.

We also tested GFXBench's OpenGL Manhattan Offscreen test at 1080p to avoid resolution differences. Here we can see the iPhone X is a fair bit ahead.

In Octane 2.0, another browser benchmark, the iPhone X floors the OnePlus, likely thanks to Safari optimizations.

So apart from the AnTuTu benchmark, the iPhone beat the OnePlus in every other metric? With less than half the RAM and with only 6 cores, as compared to the 8 cores the OnePlus has?

Somehow that seems to account for the price difference. OnePlus fans should be asking why it is unable to beat the iPhone X even with "better" specs.

Anilu_777chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 101
    KITA said:
    Moving onto the AnTuTu benchmark, the OnePlus manages to beat out the iPhone X by almost 30%. 
    Eh..What? OnePlus has 34.6k, while iPhoneX has 37.5k in AnTuTu, no?
    Am I missing something? 34.6k is not 30% larger than 37.5k. It just isn't!
    They're just being misleading. The picture is only showing the results from one part of the Antutu benchmark where the iPhone X wins. The iPhone X loses for every other section (presumably), hence the 30% lead for the OnePlus 6 in the final result.

The text accompanying it clearly states that the OnePlus beat the X. There is also an accompanying video.

I don't think they are being misleading.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 101
    jume said:
    Oh dear. Stupidness of iPhone fans has no limit. 

People get real. iPhoneX is an overpriced phone.

Keep fighting the good fight. Soon people will realise the iPhone X is overpriced and they will stop buying it. Don't give up!! /s
    uniscapeericthehalfbeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 101
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 521member
    berndog said:
    How much bloatware do you get for the $400 savings and can the device run with only 64GB of storage? Also what are OnePlus’ sales volume and customer satisfaction ratings?
    Especially customer satisfaction and customer service. I had a OnePlus One and got zero customer service. I had to ask friends why it wasn’t updating and what I could do. I rooted it and installed a newer OS but was never happy. Granted, it’s an older phone but give me an Apple Store and the ability to call or contact Apple Support on social media any day over all that mess! 
    chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 101
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    bestkeptsecret said:
    Somehow that seems to account for the price difference. OnePlus fans should be asking why it is unable to beat the iPhone X even with "better" specs.
    Regardless of whether the iPhone X won in some performance benchmark, there are countless other areas in which quality is determined. This review doesn't test the display, but I'd bet that its OLED display doesn't compare to the quality of Apple's OLED display.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 101
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    lkrupp said:
    You know what? Only techie bullshit artists care about benchmarks.
    Engineers comparing dick sizes. 
    lkrupp
  • Reply 32 of 101
    Was there a OnePlus 3, 4 & 5? I must've missed those. :lol:
  • Reply 33 of 101
    I have no doubt that certain models of OnePlus perform well. Recently, my PC repair technician showed me the latest Vivo (or Oppo, I forget which) and it was pretty sleek. It also had facial unlock that was very fast.

However, for me, the problem with all of these Chinese devices is trust. And, indeed, OnePlus has a poor track record in security and handling user data. Here's a sample in just the last few months:

The first two, which were going for a long time, are real shockers. But, you get what you pay for, I guess.
    Yup, the biggest issue with Android phones from Chinese OEMs is "Trust". Most of them have been caught on one or two incidents which erode the "Trust" which is extremely important.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 101
    Soli said:
    bestkeptsecret said:
    Regardless of whether the iPhone X won in some performance benchmark, there are countless other areas in which quality is determined. This review doesn't test the display, but I'd bet that its OLED display doesn't compare to the quality of Apple's OLED display.
    Yes, the OLED display in OnePlus is not at the same level as iPhone X. Not only the display, the camera quality as well. The rest of the components (SoC, RAM, internal memory, audio etc) and build quality are pretty good though. As @AppleMagic mentioned, the biggest issue is "Trust".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 101
    adm1 said:
    Was there a OnePlus 3, 4 & 5? I must've missed those. :lol:
    There was OnePlus 3, 3T, 5 and 5T which were pretty good for their times.
  • Reply 36 of 101
    Anilu_777 said:
    berndog said:
    How much bloatware do you get for the $400 savings and can the device run with only 64GB of storage? Also what are OnePlus’ sales volume and customer satisfaction ratings?
    Especially customer satisfaction and customer service. I had a OnePlus One and got zero customer service. I had to ask friends why it wasn’t updating and what I could do. I rooted it and installed a newer OS but was never happy. Granted, it’s an older phone but give me an Apple Store and the ability to call or contact Apple Support on social media any day over all that mess! 
    None of the Android OEMs have the customer service support similar to Apple, so OnePlus being not so good is understandable. They are slowly improving on that though. In India (one of the key markets for them), they have a decent after sales support. My brother cracked the screen on his One Plus 3 phone (dropped it, manual error so out of warranty repair) and OnePlus replaced it for just $30 (Rs.2000 in Indian currency) which is a pretty good deal if you ask me. For people in China and India, their after sale support is similar to other Android OEMs (pretty average in other words). Not sure about their presence in US/Europe. I would assume it is non-existence at the moment, so that should be a deal-breaker for anyone considering buying a OnePlus phone (if a person manages to get past the Trust issues and still decide to buy one).
  • Reply 37 of 101
    AI Team, can you please review the Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL phones? The reason why I am asking - They are the ones with the best software quality (no bloatware, smooth performance) in Android world unlike the Samsung phones which come with a huge amount of bloatware AND poor software optimization.
  • Reply 38 of 101

Benchmarks

Starting off with Geekbench 4, the iPhone X completely destroys the OnePlus in single core performance. The One Plus' multi-core score comes closer to the iPhone than any other Android device we've tested, but the iPhone X is still about 15% faster overall. Next up is the Geekbench 4 graphics test, where the OnePlus 6 scores impressively close to the iPhone X. 

Moving onto the AnTuTu benchmark, the OnePlus manages to beat out the iPhone X by almost 30%. AnTuTu's HTML 5 test crowned the iPhone X the winner, but not by much.

We also tested GFXBench's OpenGL Manhattan Offscreen test at 1080p to avoid resolution differences. Here we can see the iPhone X is a fair bit ahead.

In Octane 2.0, another browser benchmark, the iPhone X floors the OnePlus, likely thanks to Safari optimizations.

So apart from the AnTuTu benchmark, the iPhone beat the OnePlus in every other metric? With less than half the RAM and with only 6 cores, as compared to the 8 cores the OnePlus has?

I think the performance metrics are a bit misleading "differentiator" in 2018. All high end phones (>$500) have pretty good performance, to the point where benchmark scores are not so meaningful for majority of the regular users. It was a meaningful differentiator 3-4 years back. Not anymore, at least until new use cases/Apps (AR/VR????) come out. The display/camera quality, long lasting hardware, exclusive Apps & Apps quality, software quality (iOS vs Android is a subjective topic though), software updates, Privacy, Trust, ecosystem (for those who are already using other hardware/services from Apple), after sales support are the key differentiators for Apple that justify the price difference.
    edited May 2018 cropr
  • Reply 39 of 101
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    This year has been a turning point for the Chinese brands I think. The OnePlus phones and the Huawei notebooks have very good build quality but much cheaper than you'd expect.
  • Reply 40 of 101
    Looking at all of these benchmarks, the OnePlus 6 does an impressive job of keeping up with the iPhone X, even though it comes in at about half the price. In real-world use we were surprised by how smooth and responsive the One Plus 6 feels. In a lot of places it even feels quicker than the iPhone X. Part of that is faster animations, but we also noticed some apps launching noticeably faster.

I think this reflects poorly on software optimization in iOS 11, than anything that OnePlus has done with their Android version.

With high-end CPU's and a boatload of RAM, the latest Android devices are no longer the slow glitchy devices that we've tested in the past.

Thanks AI for such unbiased comments on Android phones, which would be very hard to digest for hardcore iOS fans (I am talking about a select few here) in this forum.

AppleInsider said:in the coming days we'll be doing more real-world comparisons between the OnePlus 6 and the iPhone X. Let us know in the comments what you would like to see.

If you are planning to write articles on OnePlus 6 similar to Samsung Galaxy S9, my humble request would be to NOT waste time on it. As @AppleMagic outlined, the biggest issue with OnePlus and high end phones from other Chinese OEMs is "Trust". Almost all of them have been caught with more than 1 incident which would erode the Trust very quickly. With Google phones, the only issue is Privacy which can be controlled to a large extent in settings. The effort would be better spent on Google Pixel phones which do not have the "Trust" issue.

Edit: Adding a link for credit card issue which affected 40,000 users of OnePlus. https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/19/oneplus-credit-card-breach-40000-affected

edited May 2018